Palm T|X WiFi Security Update Ransom

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gene Bleuler, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. Gene Bleuler

    Gene Bleuler Guest

    Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA only has WEP and WPA WiFi
    security. My home network though runs the higher level WPA2. So I go to the
    Palm website looking for a simple driver upgrade. They however call this an
    "Enterprise Level" security upgrade--- and they want me to pay six bucks for
    it!

    Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300 for
    this puppy. WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been for the last
    4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't meet a 5 year old
    consumer standard and you want to extort me to bring it up to speed!! What
    other hardware company do you know of that charges for what are essentially
    driver updates I asked?

    "Six bucks please" is all they said!!

    Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!

    Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just take this
    baby-- my very last Palm purchase-- right back to the store I got it from
    and get my money back?

    With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is circling the
    drain....

    Gene Bleuler, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Gene Bleuler

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:33:20 -0500, "Gene Bleuler" <>
    wrote:

    >Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA only has WEP and WPA WiFi
    >security. My home network though runs the higher level WPA2. So I go to the
    >Palm website looking for a simple driver upgrade. They however call this an
    >"Enterprise Level" security upgrade--- and they want me to pay six bucks for
    >it!
    >
    >Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300 for
    >this puppy. WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been for the last
    >4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't meet a 5 year old
    >consumer standard and you want to extort me to bring it up to speed!! What
    >other hardware company do you know of that charges for what are essentially
    >driver updates I asked?
    >
    >"Six bucks please" is all they said!!
    >
    >Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!
    >
    >Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just take this
    >baby-- my very last Palm purchase-- right back to the store I got it from
    >and get my money back?
    >
    >With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is circling the
    >drain....

    Simply take the phone back to the store you bought it from, point out
    where in the literature or marketing it said it would do WPA2, and
    demand the update for free.

    Of course, if it didn't SAY it does WPA2, and they're charging $6 for
    the FEATURE, you don't have much to complain about do you?

    Evan Platt, Feb 25, 2009

  3. Gene Bleuler

    Gene Bleuler Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:33:20 -0500, "Gene Bleuler" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA only has WEP and WPA WiFi
    >>security. My home network though runs the higher level WPA2. So I go to
    >>the
    >>Palm website looking for a simple driver upgrade. They however call this
    >>an
    >>"Enterprise Level" security upgrade--- and they want me to pay six bucks
    >>for
    >>it!
    >>
    >>Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300 for
    >>this puppy. WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been for the
    >>last
    >>4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't meet a 5 year old
    >>consumer standard and you want to extort me to bring it up to speed!! What
    >>other hardware company do you know of that charges for what are
    >>essentially
    >>driver updates I asked?
    >>
    >>"Six bucks please" is all they said!!
    >>
    >>Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!
    >>
    >>Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just take
    >>this
    >>baby-- my very last Palm purchase-- right back to the store I got it from
    >>and get my money back?
    >>
    >>With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is circling
    >>the
    >>drain....

    > Simply take the phone back to the store you bought it from, point out
    > where in the literature or marketing it said it would do WPA2, and
    > demand the update for free.
    >
    > Of course, if it didn't SAY it does WPA2, and they're charging $6 for
    > the FEATURE, you don't have much to complain about do you?

    It's not a phone, as I mentioned in the OP, it's a PDA.

    Your post indicates that you are some kind of rigid thinking nit picker who
    doesn't understand the concept of fitness of merchantability. Does the box
    or literature say the device will come on when you hit the on button-- or
    that the text on the screen will be legible? Of course not. It's assumed and
    expected by the customer...and any mfr who plans on staying in business
    needs to meet customer's expectations...

    Gene Bleuler, Feb 25, 2009
  4. Gene Bleuler wrote:
    > Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA only has WEP and WPA WiFi
    > security. My home network though runs the higher level WPA2. So I go to the
    > Palm website looking for a simple driver upgrade. They however call this an
    > "Enterprise Level" security upgrade--- and they want me to pay six bucks for
    > it!

    Annoying, huh?

    > Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300 for
    > this puppy. WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been for the last
    > 4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't meet a 5 year old
    > consumer standard and you want to extort me to bring it up to speed!! What
    > other hardware company do you know of that charges for what are essentially
    > driver updates I asked?

    I suppose g00gle could tell me...

    > "Six bucks please" is all they said!!
    >
    > Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!
    >
    > Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just take this
    > baby-- my very last Palm purchase-- right back to the store I got it from
    > and get my money back?

    I'd just enable MAC filtering in the router and add the Palm device to
    the list.
    Problem Solved.

    > With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is circling the
    > drain....

    Really? I bet they'll soldier on without you, mate.

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 25, 2009
  5. Gene Bleuler

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:48:29 -0500, "Gene Bleuler" <>
    wrote:

    >It's not a phone, as I mentioned in the OP, it's a PDA.

    My bad.

    >Your post indicates that you are some kind of rigid thinking nit picker who
    >doesn't understand the concept of fitness of merchantability.

    Uhhh.. What??

    >Does the box or literature say the device will come on when you hit the on button--

    Well, if it doesn't come on, none of the other features will work,
    will they?

    >or that the text on the screen will be legible? Of course not.

    Well, technically, yes. Look at the picture on the box. If you can
    read the text on the screen on the box (I'm assuming the box shows a
    picture of the PDA being used), then you can expect it to be readable.

    >It's assumed and expected by the customer...and any mfr who plans on staying in business
    >needs to meet customer's expectations...

    I expected my car to have heated seats, cruise control, etc. You can't
    really say it's assumed and expected. If you really expected and
    assumed it, return it. Obviously if everyone did, Palm will take
    notice. But I think the consumer needs to take responsibility and not
    assume. Remember what 'assume' means.

    Evan Platt, Feb 25, 2009
  6. Gene Bleuler

    Father Jack Guest

    Gene Bleuler <> wrote:
    > Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA [snip]

    Your choice.

    > Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300
    > for this puppy.

    You researched the CS charges before you bought, right?

    > WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been
    > for the last 4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't
    > meet a 5 year old consumer standard and you want to extort me to
    > bring it up to speed!!

    So, my understanding from what you express, is that they duped you.

    > What other hardware company do you know of
    > that charges for what are essentially driver updates I asked?

    Microsoft?

    > "Six bucks please" is all they said!!

    That'd be cheap had you not bought the POS.

    > Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!

    Damn right! You tell 'em!

    > Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just
    > take this baby-- my very last Palm purchase--

    > right back to the store I got it from and get my money back?

    Now you appear to be back on track - next time do your homework.

    Fools and their money, eh?

    > With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is
    > circling the drain....

    That's right, blame everyone but you for your mistaken purchase - way to
    go!!

    Father Jack, Feb 26, 2009
  7. Gene Bleuler

    Gene Bleuler Guest

    "Father Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Gene Bleuler <> wrote:
    >> Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA [snip]

    > Your choice.
    >
    >> Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300
    >> for this puppy.

    > You researched the CS charges before you bought, right?
    >
    >> WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been
    >> for the last 4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't
    >> meet a 5 year old consumer standard and you want to extort me to
    >> bring it up to speed!!

    > So, my understanding from what you express, is that they duped you.
    >
    >> What other hardware company do you know of
    >> that charges for what are essentially driver updates I asked?

    > Microsoft?
    >
    >> "Six bucks please" is all they said!!

    > That'd be cheap had you not bought the POS.
    >
    >> Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!

    > Damn right! You tell 'em!
    >
    >> Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just
    >> take this baby-- my very last Palm purchase--

    >> right back to the store I got it from and get my money back?

    > Now you appear to be back on track - next time do your homework.
    >
    > Fools and their money, eh?
    >
    >> With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is
    >> circling the drain....

    > That's right, blame everyone but you for your mistaken purchase - way to
    > go!!
    >\

    You seem to be a bit on the dense side--- maybe a little slow on the uptake
    here, Jacko;-)

    The point is a buyer has a right to expect that a contemporary and expensive
    product from a name manufacturer will support common 5 year old consumer
    standards--- but they want to sell you an extra to do so.

    Your comments about "checking" first are silly. If you were buying an
    expensive new car, would "research" that the vehicle included directional
    signals, four tires, a dipstick with a handle and that the windows could
    roll down? Of course not-- it's standard and expected in the market place.
    How would you feel in General Motors told you to pay an extra $25 to get a
    dipstick with a handle?

    See whadda' mean, Vern?

    Gene Bleuler, Feb 26, 2009
  8. Gene Bleuler

    Father Jack Guest

    Gene Bleuler <> wrote:
    > "Father Jack" <> wrote in message
    >> Gene Bleuler <> wrote:
    >>> Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA [snip]

    >> Your choice.
    >>
    >>> Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300
    >>> for this puppy.

    >> You researched the CS charges before you bought, right?
    >>
    >>> WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been
    >>> for the last 4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't
    >>> meet a 5 year old consumer standard and you want to extort me to
    >>> bring it up to speed!!

    >> So, my understanding from what you express, is that they duped you.
    >>
    >>> What other hardware company do you know of
    >>> that charges for what are essentially driver updates I asked?

    >> Microsoft?
    >>
    >>> "Six bucks please" is all they said!!

    >> That'd be cheap had you not bought the POS.
    >>
    >>> Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more
    >>> dough!

    >> Damn right! You tell 'em!
    >>
    >>> Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just
    >>> take this baby-- my very last Palm purchase--

    >>> right back to the store I got it from and get my money back?

    >> Now you appear to be back on track - next time do your homework.
    >>
    >> Fools and their money, eh?
    >>
    >>> With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is
    >>> circling the drain....

    >> That's right, blame everyone but you for your mistaken purchase -
    >> way to go!!
    >> \

    > You seem to be a bit on the dense side--- maybe a little slow on the
    > uptake here, Jacko;-)
    >
    > The point is a buyer has a right to expect that a contemporary and
    > expensive product from a name manufacturer will support common 5 year
    > old consumer standards--- but they want to sell you an extra to do so.
    >
    > Your comments about "checking" first are silly. If you were buying an
    > expensive new car, would "research" that the vehicle included
    > directional signals, four tires, a dipstick with a handle and that
    > the windows could roll down? Of course not-- it's standard and
    > expected in the market place. How would you feel in General Motors
    > told you to pay an extra $25 to get a dipstick with a handle?
    >
    > See whadda' mean, Vern?

    Jack misses nothing. The OP bought in the first instance, a sub-standard
    product from a notoriously untrustworthy company. What else need be said,
    other than it was his choice in the absence of research.

    Father Jack, Feb 26, 2009
  9. Gene Bleuler

    DNA Guest

    Gene Bleuler <> wrote:
    > Out of the box, the very nice Palm T|X PDA only has WEP and WPA WiFi
    > security. My home network though runs the higher level WPA2. So I go
    > to the Palm website looking for a simple driver upgrade. They however
    > call this an "Enterprise Level" security upgrade--- and they want me
    > to pay six bucks for it!
    >
    > Foo I say to their customer no-service people-- I just laid out $300
    > for this puppy. WPA2 is a consumer level of security-- and has been
    > for the last 4-5 years. Then I say Palm's operating system doesn't
    > meet a 5 year old consumer standard and you want to extort me to
    > bring it up to speed!! What other hardware company do you know of
    > that charges for what are essentially driver updates I asked?
    >
    > "Six bucks please" is all they said!!
    >
    > Piss off I said-- damned if I'll be strong-armed for even more dough!
    >
    > Anyone got a lead on a free driver update--- or do I need to just
    > take this baby-- my very last Palm purchase-- right back to the store
    > I got it from and get my money back?
    >
    > With that kind of attitude toward customers, no wonder Palm is
    > circling the drain....

    If you are saying the device is or has become unfit for purpose as a result
    of the seller/manufacturer moving the goal posts or not making provision
    enough for future updates (in a reasonable time period), then they must bear
    the burden of negligence and apply duty of care to the consumer. If that
    comes in the form of a refund, then so be it - their reputation could be at
    stake if they don't.

    You do have evidence of that, right? If the time to date from purchase is a
    'reasonable' period, you should be permitted to seek a full and final
    settlement by way of a refund - why not?

    It's all about meeting expectation, and clearly, your has been effected by
    their money grabbing disservice.

    DNA, Feb 27, 2009