    Now that smartphones have replaced PDAs, the tables have turned, and it is
    Windows Mobile that is looking increasingly creaky and terminal.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=2071>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Back in the heyday of the PDA market, Palm's acceptance of Windows Mobile
    > signalled the decline of its own PalmOS.
    >
    > Now that smartphones have replaced PDAs, the tables have turned, and it is
    > Windows Mobile that is looking increasingly creaky and terminal.
    >
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=2071>

    [Related]
    http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/android-16-sdk-is-here.html

    Sailor Sam, Sep 18, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    On Sep 18, 2:18 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Back in the heyday of the PDA market, Palm's acceptance of Windows Mobile....
    > Now that smartphones have replaced PDAs...

    My wife has a Palm Treo (with Windows), supplied by her employer, and
    it is insanely difficult to use. For example, making a call to home
    on the bus was not achieved, it had to wait till she got off the bus.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Sep 19, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:04:12 -0700, John Little wrote:

    > For example, making a call to home on
    > the bus was not achieved, it had to wait till she got off the bus.

    I'm curious to know why that was the case. Would you care to elaborate a little more on that?

    Carnations, Sep 19, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    John Little wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 2:18 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Back in the heyday of the PDA market, Palm's acceptance of Windows Mobile...
    >> Now that smartphones have replaced PDAs...

    > My wife has a Palm Treo (with Windows), supplied by her employer, and
    > it is insanely difficult to use. For example, making a call to home
    > on the bus was not achieved, it had to wait till she got off the bus.
    >
    > Regards, John

    Ah ok, please explain.

    Richard, Sep 19, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    On Sep 19, 4:25 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:04:12 -0700, John Little wrote:
    > > For example, making a call to home on
    > > the bus was not achieved, it had to wait till she got off the bus.

    > I'm curious to know why that was the case. Would you care to elaborate a little more on that?

    Well, I wasn't there, I was expecting the call. From what she said
    there were too many apps open, and her attempts to get to a phone
    function were frustrated. Also,
    - When she first got the phone, there was no easy way to get to
    the phone book. It was first necessary to dismiss some reminders to
    get the contacts soft key.
    - A USB cable lets you connect with a computer, but you must use
    MS Active Sync to talk to it; you can't just copy files like other USB
    connected devices. The Active Sync stuff becomes parasitic on the PC,
    yet another start-up item slowing the computer when you log in. I
    appreciate that Outlook would need more than just copying stuff, but
    what Active Sync was trying to do was a mystery.
    - It doesn't close apps when you close them, they remain, confusing
    the user.
    - Menus appear that are not requested, confusing the user.

    It is a while since I helped her with it, my overall impression was
    that it was unintuitive.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Sep 20, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:19:16 -0700, John Little wrote:

    > It is a while since I helped her with it, my overall impression was
    > that it was unintuitive.

    Thanks for elaborating on that.

    It sounds very much like Windows Mobile is much like Windows imMobile err... XP - confusing and
    unintuitive - like having to click "start" to turn the computer off, or putting a badly organised "options"
    sub-menu onto a "tools" menu when what you're really wanting to do is to *edit* your *preferences*!

    :eek:)

    Carnations, Sep 20, 2009