Palindr?me <me8@privacy.net> Calling ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Palindr?me <me8@privacy.net> Heeeelp.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MjrTom, May 1, 2004.

  1. MjrTom

    MjrTom Guest

    Hi I saw your reply about changing the filing systems and thought you
    must know what you are talking about.
    I wonder if you can help me.
    It concerns a duel drive serial R>A>I>D array.

    The question basically is can you actually have the XP operating
    system on the raid array and have it as your main C drive.

    The problem I was having was trying to load win xp onto them. Each
    time it told me there are no hard drives on which to install itself
    win xp that is ---- so I ended up having to install the system on a
    IDE and once windows was installed it then actually recognised the
    array and set them active.

    Obviously because of the speeed I would like to have the system on the
    raid array - Do you know if that's possible and how to do it.

    My email address is bryer102 AT hotmail.com

    Thanks
    MjrTom, May 1, 2004

  2. RAID System disk with XP

    MjrTom wrote:

    > Hi I saw your reply about changing the filing systems and thought you
    > must know what you are talking about.

    LOL. I wouldn't bet on it.

    > I wonder if you can help me.
    > It concerns a duel drive serial R>A>I>D array.
    >
    > The question basically is can you actually have the XP operating
    > system on the raid array and have it as your main C drive.

    Yes - I am sure you can.

    > The problem I was having was trying to load win xp onto them. Each
    > time it told me there are no hard drives on which to install itself
    > win xp that is ---- so I ended up having to install the system on a
    > IDE and once windows was installed it then actually recognised the
    > array and set them active.
    >
    > Obviously because of the speeed I would like to have the
    > system on the
    > raid array - Do you know if that's possible and how to do
    > it.
    > http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid6.htm

    You have to load the drivers for the RAID system as part of
    the boot process from CD (see description above). It goes
    through the "standard" mass storage drivers one by one but
    allows you to specify additional drivers - and you simply
    specify those needed for the RAID controller. You should
    have those drivers with your RAID card, but it would be wise
    to go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest.
    Later drivers can often give considerable performance gains
    as early ones tend to be conservative and not as heavily
    optimised.

    Hope that helps!
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 1, 2004

  3. MjrTom

    TT Guest

    Re: RAID System disk with XP

    Palindr?me wrote:
    > MjrTom wrote:
    >

    >> Hi I saw your reply about changing the filing systems and thought you
    >> must know what you are talking about.

    > LOL. I wouldn't bet on it.
    >
    >> I wonder if you can help me.
    >> It concerns a duel drive serial R>A>I>D array.
    >>
    >> The question basically is can you actually have the XP operating
    >> system on the raid array and have it as your main C drive.

    > Yes - I am sure you can.
    >

    >> The problem I was having was trying to load win xp onto them. Each
    >> time it told me there are no hard drives on which to install itself
    >> win xp that is ---- so I ended up having to install the system on a
    >> IDE and once windows was installed it then actually recognised the
    >> array and set them active.

    > > Obviously because of the speeed I would like to have the
    > > system on the
    > > raid array - Do you know if that's possible and how to do > it.
    > > http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid6.htm

    > You have to load the drivers for the RAID system as part of the boot
    > process from CD (see description above). It goes through the "standard"
    > mass storage drivers one by one but allows you to specify additional
    > drivers - and you simply specify those needed for the RAID controller.
    > You should have those drivers with your RAID card, but it would be wise
    > to go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest. Later drivers
    > can often give considerable performance gains as early ones tend to be
    > conservative and not as heavily optimised.
    >
    > Hope that helps!

    I'm running 2 WD "Raptor" drives in RAID 0 as the boot drive for XP
    PRo-just make sure to push the appropriate "F" key quick-the prompt at
    the bottom of the screen for third party SCSI drivers happens really
    quick at the bottom of the screen. Your BIOS will have to be set up for
    the right boot drive order and SATA recognition/setup...
    TT, May 1, 2004
  4. MjrTom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: RAID System disk with XP

    "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    > MjrTom wrote:
    >

    > > Hi I saw your reply about changing the filing systems and thought you
    > > must know what you are talking about.

    > LOL. I wouldn't bet on it.
    >
    > > I wonder if you can help me.
    > > It concerns a duel drive serial R>A>I>D array.
    > >
    > > The question basically is can you actually have the XP operating
    > > system on the raid array and have it as your main C drive.

    > Yes - I am sure you can.
    > >
    > > The problem I was having was trying to load win xp onto them. Each
    > > time it told me there are no hard drives on which to install itself
    > > win xp that is ---- so I ended up having to install the system on a
    > > IDE and once windows was installed it then actually recognised the
    > > array and set them active.
    > >
    > > Obviously because of the speeed I would like to have the
    > > system on the
    > > raid array - Do you know if that's possible and how to do
    > > it.
    > > http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid6.htm

    > You have to load the drivers for the RAID system as part of
    > the boot process from CD (see description above). It goes
    > through the "standard" mass storage drivers one by one but
    > allows you to specify additional drivers - and you simply
    > specify those needed for the RAID controller. You should
    > have those drivers with your RAID card, but it would be wise
    > to go to the manufacturer's web site and get the latest.
    > Later drivers can often give considerable performance gains
    > as early ones tend to be conservative and not as heavily
    > optimised.
    >
    > Hope that helps!

    I believe you have to have the RAID drivers available, and there is a note
    during install at the bottom of the screen for "Press F6 to install..." (or
    it may be F8). It's been a *long* time since I looked at it ;-)
    Toolman Tim, May 1, 2004