    Both are the same (rated) speed
    Which is better, or are they the same??
    Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is newer)

    Steve Robertson, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    cowboyz Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
    > Both are the same (rated) speed
    > Which is better, or are they the same??
    > Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is
    > newer)

    Tbred is newer and you'l;l find it will run cooler and overclock further. I
    got the pal 2100+ and it is a pig of a thing really. I keep it cool with a
    Volcano 9+ but it just doesn't overclock.

    cowboyz, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson

    colinco Guest

    In article <40bc4a68$>, says...
    > Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is newer)

    Tbred is later core, uses less volts, runs cooler

    colinco, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson wrote:
    > I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
    > Both are the same (rated) speed
    > Which is better, or are they the same??

    From memory the thoroughbred was the older one, the Palamino was the
    newer one.
    The Thor* I think is actually at that speed, whereas the Pal* is a
    "rated" speed.

    but hey, all this is from a few years back in the old brain, so it may
    be entirely wrong.

    tried amd.com?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
    >> Both are the same (rated) speed
    >> Which is better, or are they the same??

    > From memory the thoroughbred was the older one, the Palamino was the
    > newer one.
    > The Thor* I think is actually at that speed, whereas the Pal* is a
    > "rated" speed.
    >
    > but hey, all this is from a few years back in the old brain, so it may
    > be entirely wrong.

    ok then, read some other posts, appears Im way off... well, one
    generation(Thunderbird) to late anyway :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
    > Both are the same (rated) speed
    > Which is better, or are they the same??
    > Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is
    > newer)

    The Palomino is the older CPU and is based on 0.18 micron technology. The
    Tbred is 0.13 micron. The Tbred is by far the superior CPU, I sold a Pally
    1800+ to buy a Tbred (B) 1800+ a couple of years back. I still have the
    Tbred CPU, only now it is running relaibly at 2.1Ghz (on a 200Mhz FSB
    instead of the original 133) instead of the 1.53Ghz it was specc'ed for.

    There were two versions of the Tbred made, the A and B. The B has an extra
    layer of metal in it and is good for far higher speeds than the A. There is
    a five letter code on the Tbred (ie. JUIHB), the last letter tells you if
    it's an A or a B.

    Palamino's run hot compared to Tbreds and don't overclock very far if at
    all. However, I still have my old Socket A mobo that doesn't have any
    overclocking features anyway and was considering throwing a $65 Duron 1.6Ghz
    in it (Based on the Tbred B technology but with less L2 cache). They run
    well but my budget is tight. If you'd like to sell your Pally I could be
    interested. My email addy is valid, but 'mung'-ed if you'd like to sell let
    me know what you want for it.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~