Pal to NTSC VCD to DVD conversion

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Docwatmo, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Docwatmo

    Docwatmo Guest

    I have a friend from India who has a bunch of Indian movies on VCD. (Indian
    movies are all at least 3 hours long so the movies are on 3 or 4 VCD's
    apiece. I wish to put them on Single DVD's for him. Also they are all in
    PAL format.

    I simply rename the *.DAT files to *.MPG and I can view and manipulate them
    just fine. However, since they are PAL and not NTSC I am having some
    trouble. I tried using several programs I have (Pinnacle 8.0, Sonic My DVD
    3.0, Roxio's latest premium version) and only Sonic would accept the VCD
    movies in the PAL format but while its re-encoding to the DVD in NTSC
    format, the audio starts out matching the video but gets off about 1 second
    for every 10 minutes of the movie. Until at about the 90 minute mark where
    the video just stops altogether and the audio continues.

    What I'm wondering is, is there a better way to do this? Is there a simple
    program for converting PAL MPG files to NTSC MPG files?

    If anyone has a process already going I'd love to hear about it.

    Thanks for any help.

    Doc

    Docwatmo, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Docwatmo

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    "Docwatmo" <> wrote in
    message news:%kVRb.533$...
    (snip)
    > What I'm wondering is, is there a better way to do this? Is there a

    simple
    > program for converting PAL MPG files to NTSC MPG files?
    >
    > If anyone has a process already going I'd love to hear about it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Doc

    You may want to give the tmpgenc program a whirl, I have used it to convert
    hour long 500 meg pal files to NTSC format and its done the job
    its available at http://www.tmpgenc.net/

    a users guide can be found at

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm

    more than likely there is a help guide at the site to address any
    problems that arise.

    good luck with it.

    Matt

    Matt Ferrari, Jan 29, 2004