PAL to NTSC problems

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Relaxification, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Hi there.

    A while back I bought a multiregion DVD player for use here in North
    America (a Cinevision 650.)

    While it works - I can play just about anything - I have a few
    complaints about the PAL to NTSC conversion. Just to be clear, the
    player outputs NTSC regardless of what kind of disc I insert.

    Firstly, all PAL discs have a slight "digitized" look to them absent
    from their NTSC counterparts. Clearly it's an onboard chip that doing
    the conversion and perhaps its sample rate is too low? I notice this
    most with subtitles: they are quite aliased and choppy looking. In
    addition, the letterboxing on widescreen films "stutters" by one or
    two scan lines on alternating frames.

    Secondly, and more annoyingly, there is a clear jitter to the picture
    - it seems like frames are dropped in order to "catch up" to the
    picture. Every few seconds or so this happens and it happens
    consistently, although it's more noticeable in scenes with a lot of
    motion. This occurs regardless of whether the material is video or
    film based, and I'm sure it has to do with the 25 fps to 29.97 fps
    conversion, but even cheap VHS converters seem to do a better job
    (albeit using analog gear) by merging fields to produce the (almost) 5
    extra frames needed.

    So here's the question: Is this the best I can expect? Are there DVD
    players out there that can do the conversion so I can't tell that the
    source is PAL?

    Thanks for your help.

    Relax

    Relaxification, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Relaxification

    mazinz Guest

    a long time ago their was one player called the malata. And that had the best
    pal to ntsc covnersion you could have possibly asked for. It was one of the ony
    few decks that handled animorphic pal as well. Not sure if they are still
    around or if current versions used the same chip for it (i think it was called
    the genesis chip) but that one was worht looking for

    mazinz, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Relaxification

    drsd2kill Guest

    There sure are - my player has settings that I can adjust to elimate the
    jittery look and the result is smooth and NTSC. My player is a progressive scan
    one, and there are settings for VIDEO and FILM and when I select VIDEO the
    output looks perfect.

    drsd2kill, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Relaxification

    Justin Guest

    drsd2kill wrote on [09 Jan 2004 18:54:38 GMT]:
    > There sure are - my player has settings that I can adjust to elimate the
    > jittery look and the result is smooth and NTSC. My player is a progressive scan
    > one, and there are settings for VIDEO and FILM and when I select VIDEO the
    > output looks perfect.

    And that player is?

    Justin, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Relaxification

    Andrew Guest

    Relaxification wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > A while back I bought a multiregion DVD player for use here in North
    > America (a Cinevision 650.)

    Do a search on www.nerd-out.com and see if there are any
    settings that need to be changed on your player. The player
    I currently use, a Malata N996, has such settings to take
    care of any such problems. The Malata also does a good job
    of converting PAL 16:9 discs.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 9, 2004
  6. On 9 Jan 2004 10:36:36 -0800,
    (Relaxification) wrote:

    >Hi there.
    >
    >A while back I bought a multiregion DVD player for use here in North
    >America (a Cinevision 650.)
    >
    >While it works - I can play just about anything - I have a few
    >complaints about the PAL to NTSC conversion. Just to be clear, the
    >player outputs NTSC regardless of what kind of disc I insert.
    >
    >Firstly, all PAL discs have a slight "digitized" look to them absent
    >from their NTSC counterparts. Clearly it's an onboard chip that doing
    >the conversion and perhaps its sample rate is too low? I notice this
    >most with subtitles: they are quite aliased and choppy looking. In
    >addition, the letterboxing on widescreen films "stutters" by one or
    >two scan lines on alternating frames.
    >
    >Secondly, and more annoyingly, there is a clear jitter to the picture
    >- it seems like frames are dropped in order to "catch up" to the
    >picture. Every few seconds or so this happens and it happens
    >consistently, although it's more noticeable in scenes with a lot of
    >motion. This occurs regardless of whether the material is video or
    >film based, and I'm sure it has to do with the 25 fps to 29.97 fps
    >conversion, but even cheap VHS converters seem to do a better job
    >(albeit using analog gear) by merging fields to produce the (almost) 5
    >extra frames needed.
    >
    >So here's the question: Is this the best I can expect? Are there DVD
    >players out there that can do the conversion so I can't tell that the
    >source is PAL?
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    >Relax

    About a year ago, I purchased a modified JVC XV-S500 from:

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

    I have had no problems, of any kind, and it plays all zones, NTSC or
    PAL, faithfully on my Mitsubishi HDTV. Understand that you must be
    feeding it to an NTSC or multisystem TV. In otherwords if you have a
    PAL only TV, it won't be compatable. I just checked their website and
    it would appear that their current equiv. would be a JVC XV N50. Their
    price is $339 + shipping. They are offering a Terapin model for $199,
    but I cannot vouch for it.

    Cheers,

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Jan 10, 2004
  7. "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    > a long time ago their was one player called the malata. And that had the

    best
    > pal to ntsc covnersion you could have possibly asked for. It was one of

    the ony
    > few decks that handled animorphic pal as well. Not sure if they are still
    > around or if current versions used the same chip for it (i think it was

    called
    > the genesis chip) but that one was worht looking for

    The Cyberhome 402 and 500 do a good job as well. Not sure about the new
    Cyberhome units

    Ratmaster2000, Jan 29, 2004