PAL Recording And DVD Playing Problem ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, May 30, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    I recorded a DVD-R on my PC of a concert. Used Record Now to do it.

    Can play it back just fine on PC, but when put on my Panasonic DVD player
    (hooked to my TV), the pix just keeps rolling vertically (images look good
    though, just can't stop the vert. rolling).

    Someone suggested that this was because the recording was a PAL format.

    Not too sharp with this stuff, and know nothing about PAL formats.

    Does this make any sense ?

    Is it that when I recorded the DVD on the PC, I hit something by mistake,
    and it recorded in PAL, rather than... ?

    Or, is the PAL encoding in what I downloaded (legally) and recorded, and
    that the PC drive has no problem with PAL, but the DVD player (it says it
    cannot play PAL)
    does ?

    Any thoughts on ?

    BTW: The Record Now program never came up with any option to "finalize" the
    disk.
    Should it have ?
    Any implications with this relative to my problem, possibly ?

    What does this "finalization step" actually do, and where needed ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, May 30, 2005

  2. Robert11

    old jon Guest

    Someone may be right. Perhaps you should have used NTSC. your DVD would have
    been `closed` or finalised by your software. please read your Record Now
    help file. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 30, 2005

  3. Robert11

    Joel Rubin Guest

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

    The U.S., Canada and Japan (among others) use NTSC, National
    Television Standards Committee, also known as Never The Same Color.

    Most of the world uses PAL, Phase Alternation Line.

    France, some ex-Communist countries and some ex-French colonies use
    SECAM.

    DVD screen formats are NTSC or PAL (which includes SECAM for this
    purpose)

    I suspect you can convert on your computer or you might look for an
    ethnic video store for expats from a PAL country such as India.

    (NTSC, by the way, is sometimes called the RCA standard. There was
    also, way back in the late 40's or early 50's, also a CBS standard
    which used a rotating color filter wheel. At the time, with small
    screens, the big advantage of the RCA standard was seen to be that you
    could pick up an RCA color signal on a standard black and white TV
    with no extra conversion box. So the U.S. used the RCA standard.)

    Joel Rubin, May 31, 2005