    Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
    ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

    Dan
    Dan P., Mar 5, 2005

  2. Dan P.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Dan P. wrote:
    > Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
    > common among PAL DVD players?

    I have not seen a PAL only DVD player.

    > Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
    > ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

    No. Generally speaking the DVD player can be set to output either PAL
    or NTSC, so it does not really matter what the TV is.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Dan P.

    Mr Mathews Guest

    My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
    dont know MAgig i think :0

    Mr Mathews, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Dan P.

    damnfine Guest

    "Dan P." wrote:
    > Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well?
    > Is this pretty common among PAL DVD players?

    Yes, it's absolutely standard.

    > Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs,

    Generally, no. If you set the DVD player to convert NTSC DVDs to PAL, then
    it will output PAL60 as opposed to the broadcast standard PAL50 (I think
    that's right, in any case it's something like that). This only becomes a
    problem, though, if you have an embarassingly old TV set.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    damnfine, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Dan P.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Mr Mathews wrote:

    > My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
    > dont know MAgig i think :0

    No magic there! Your player is obviously outputting PAL.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Dan P.

    Mr Mathews Guest

    I guess mine is not old as i thought :)

    its one of the first flatscreen. But not flat becuae its curved !!!!

    Mr Mathews, Mar 6, 2005
  7. Dan P.

    Anthony Guest

    Both my DVD players handle PAL and NTSC discs equally well.
    They don't convert NTSC to PAL; both machines (a Panasonic and a
    Pioneer) give true NTSC or PAL output. My German Loewe
    anamorphically-capable television, which I bought here in Australia,
    automatically recognises whether it's receiving a PAL or NTSC
    formatted signal, and switches accordingly -- it's a totally invisible
    process.
    Anthony, Mar 14, 2005