    function of the PAL - NTSC conversion, or, of the cheap DVD player?

    Cheers

    Den

    Den Murray, May 16, 2006

  2. "Den Murray" <> wrote:

    >I've got a Cyberhome DVD300 which plays back PAL DVD's with NTSC output.
    >The only problem is that the playback is a bit jerky. Is the jerkiness a
    >function of the PAL - NTSC conversion, or, of the cheap DVD player?

    Does this happen on all PAL DVDs, or just one?
    The conversion from mine is perfectly smooth, better than what we used to
    get on broadcast TV when PBS showed BBC shows.

    Kimba W. Lion, May 16, 2006

  3. Den Murray

    Marv Soloff Guest

    My Philips 642 plays my Brit and German import DVDs without flaws.
    Perfect on my NTSC TV.

    Regards,

    Marv

    Marv Soloff, May 16, 2006
  4. Den Murray

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 05:39:06 GMT, "Den Murray" <> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I've got a Cyberhome DVD300 which plays back PAL DVD's with NTSC output.
    >The only problem is that the playback is a bit jerky. Is the jerkiness a
    >function of the PAL - NTSC conversion, or, of the cheap DVD player?

    AFAIK, frame rate conversions mean that frames are either added or
    dropped, depending on whether you are going from PAL to NTSC or vice
    versa. This results in jerkiness during fast motion scenes, eg car
    chases, sports, etc.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, May 16, 2006
  5. Den Murray

    Pat Horridge Guest

    "Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 05:39:06 GMT, "Den Murray" <> put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>I've got a Cyberhome DVD300 which plays back PAL DVD's with NTSC output.
    >>The only problem is that the playback is a bit jerky. Is the jerkiness a
    >>function of the PAL - NTSC conversion, or, of the cheap DVD player?

    > AFAIK, frame rate conversions mean that frames are either added or
    > dropped, depending on whether you are going from PAL to NTSC or vice
    > versa. This results in jerkiness during fast motion scenes, eg car
    > chases, sports, etc.
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    There are different ways of doing the conversion. Some just change the
    colour system but keep the frame rate the same.
    Allowing the TV to run at that frame rate but using it's native colour
    system. These will look smooth and nice.
    The other way is to duplicate 1 frame in 5 making 30 for every 25. This will
    look jerky but allows the video to played on a TV that doesn't suport PAL
    frame rate.

    Pat Horridge, May 17, 2006
  6. Den Murray

    Patrick Guest

    cheap player, cyberhome 1600 recorder plays both perfectly.

    Patrick, May 30, 2006
  7. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to All!

    I've been looking for a product that will play PAL DVD's in the USA
    and have finally acquired a Cyberhome 300. It works even though it is
    jerky at times.

    Quite a change from AVS Video Converter which fails more often than
    converting and has a Support Group that is both arrogant and
    non-responsive. Recommendation -- DON'T USE THEM!

    Now that I know it works with the Cyberhome 300 I may upgrade to the
    Cyberhome 1600 if it indeed removes jerky motion in at least most of
    my other PAL DVD's.

    Thanks again, you guys and/or gals have opened-up a whole new vista of
    PAL movies for us.

    Paco

    xxxRoman.xxxQuaestor@sbcglobal, Jun 22, 2006