PAL DVDS and playing them in NTSC PLAYER

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jeffambrose424@gmail.com, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I bought some dvds overseas in Sweden (PAL) that I want to play on my
    North American
    DVD Player (NTSC) without the issue of region encoding. I copied a
    dvd to my harddrive
    and burned it to dvd and it runs fine on my computer. The region
    warning is gone.
    When I put the dvd in my Philips home dvd player (DVR-3050V) the
    picture is obscured
    by rolling bands, large bands, that roll up and down the screen. The
    dvd plays normally
    in 2 other dvd players I own (Sanyo/Emerson) one of which I thought
    was lower quality,
    integrated into a tv combo.

    How can I make the dvd play normally in my home Philips dvd player?
    Do I change a
    setting in the player or in my software?

    Software used: DVDCopy Fab, or Arc Dvd Copy with AnyDVD dumped to HD.

    , Aug 7, 2007

  2. Cari Guest

    See:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp-3050v/6208
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Cari Guest

    See:

    Cari, Aug 7, 2007
  4. skip Guest

    wrote in news:1186502479.519894.317620
    @r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

    http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

    skip, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Jay G. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:01:19 -0000, wrote:

    > When I put the dvd in my Philips home dvd player (DVR-3050V) ...

    Did you mean DVP-3050V?

    > ...the picture is obscured by rolling bands, large bands, that roll
    > up and down the screen. The dvd plays normally
    > in 2 other dvd players I own

    The other dvd players are converting the PAL image on the DVD to an NTSC
    signal before outputting it. The Philips is outputting the PAL DVD as a
    PAL signal. I'm assuming the rolling picture also has no color?

    > How can I make the dvd play normally in my home Philips dvd player?
    > Do I change a setting in the player or in my software?

    A lot of DVD players that can convert PAL to NTSC, and vice-versa, have a
    setting in their menu for specifying what output you want. The options are
    usually:

    - NTSC
    - PAL
    - AUTO

    The option you'd want, if your DVD player has it, is to set it to NTSC, so
    that the DVD player *always* outputs the signal as NTSC, no matter what the
    source.

    Sadly, from what I can tell reading the manual available online, your DVD
    player doesn't have this option.

    http://www.usasupport.philips.com/productDocuments.html?ProductCode=DVP3050V/37
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvp-3050v/6208

    The other option is, since you're working with a DVD without copy
    protection, is to take your harddrive copy and convert it from PAL to NTSC
    before burning it:
    http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;41

    -Jay

    Jay G., Aug 8, 2007