    great. What I'm wondering is if I could mask my older discs that are not
    printable and spray paint them with something like a flat white paint so
    that I could then print on them. Anybody have an idea?
    Brad, Feb 6, 2004

  2. "Brad" <> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1a8db168cdbc98a698bbe4@news...
    > I have an inkjet with an adaptor to allow for direct printing on CDs and
    > DVDs. I also have a bunch of inkjet printable DVDs and the print looks
    > great. What I'm wondering is if I could mask my older discs that are not
    > printable and spray paint them with something like a flat white paint so
    > that I could then print on them. Anybody have an idea?

    I wouldn't want to try it. There are adhesive CD-shaped labels you can print
    onto and stick to the disc too, but I wouldn't want to try that either.

    Printable-surface discs are so cheap now i'd suggest backing up your old
    discs to new ones with printable surfaces.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    In article <c00prd$is7$>,
    said...
    > "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an inkjet with an adaptor to allow for direct printing on CDs and
    > > DVDs. I also have a bunch of inkjet printable DVDs and the print looks
    > > great. What I'm wondering is if I could mask my older discs that are not
    > > printable and spray paint them with something like a flat white paint so
    > > that I could then print on them. Anybody have an idea?

    > I wouldn't want to try it. There are adhesive CD-shaped labels you can print
    > onto and stick to the disc too, but I wouldn't want to try that either.

    I've heard of a lot of problems with DVDs and the stickers because of
    throwing off the balance and making the disc unreadable. Paint wouldn't
    do much more than the ink itself.

    > Printable-surface discs are so cheap now i'd suggest backing up your old
    > discs to new ones with printable surfaces.

    It's not so much the cost as it is the time involved to copy the data. I
    could spray all of my discs in a very short time.
    Brad, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Brad wrote:

    > In article <c00prd$is7$>,
    > said...
    > > "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have an inkjet with an adaptor to allow for direct printing on CDs and
    > > > DVDs. I also have a bunch of inkjet printable DVDs and the print looks
    > > > great. What I'm wondering is if I could mask my older discs that are not
    > > > printable and spray paint them with something like a flat white paint so
    > > > that I could then print on them. Anybody have an idea?

    > > I wouldn't want to try it. There are adhesive CD-shaped labels you can print
    > > onto and stick to the disc too, but I wouldn't want to try that either.

    > I've heard of a lot of problems with DVDs and the stickers because of
    > throwing off the balance and making the disc unreadable. Paint wouldn't
    > do much more than the ink itself.
    >
    > > Printable-surface discs are so cheap now i'd suggest backing up your old
    > > discs to new ones with printable surfaces.

    > It's not so much the cost as it is the time involved to copy the data. I
    > could spray all of my discs in a very short time.

    If you decide to paint the surface, try to find a water based paint rather than a
    solvent based paint.
    Apply several very thin coats rather than a single thick coat.
    The solvent may soften the plastic disk and adversely affect the sensitive coating
    underneath.
    Also, make sure that the paint surface will accept the ink from your printer.
    Definitely try it on one disk first. Then try to play the disk a week later.
    If it is OK after a week, it will probably be OK after a few years.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Brad

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: "Robert E. Williams"
    >Date: 2/6/2004 2:45 PM Central Standard Time

    >If you decide to paint the surface, try to find a water based paint rather
    >than a
    >solvent based paint.
    >Apply several very thin coats rather than a single thick coat.
    >The solvent may soften the plastic disk and adversely affect the sensitive
    >coating
    >underneath.

    I believe the "sensitive" coating is on the top. He would be painting the
    coating or whatever the manufacturer put over the coating instead of the
    plastic disk.

    Ron
    Ron Recer, Feb 7, 2004