    Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    want?

    TIA

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Ockham's Razor

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:25:19 -0700, Ockham's Razor
    <> wrote:

    >I would like to "paint" over digital photos to try to "convert" them to
    >a different "art" form. I want to use the original color in the digital
    >photo, but add the brush stroke effect.
    >
    >PS Elements has some ways to convert photos to different art effects,
    >but they are not what I want.
    >
    >I cannot afford PS CS (and do not even know if it would do what I wish.)
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    >want?
    >
    >TIA

    Try Irfan View with the imported filters available for free.

    irwell, Jul 1, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    irwell <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:25:19 -0700, Ockham's Razor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I would like to "paint" over digital photos to try to "convert" them to
    > >a different "art" form. I want to use the original color in the digital
    > >photo, but add the brush stroke effect.
    > >
    > >PS Elements has some ways to convert photos to different art effects,
    > >but they are not what I want.
    > >
    > >I cannot afford PS CS (and do not even know if it would do what I wish.)
    > >
    > >Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    > >want?
    > >
    > >TIA

    > Try Irfan View with the imported filters available for free.

    Should have said for Mac OS X.

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam!

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 2, 2006
  4. On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:57:04 -0700, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > irwell <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:25:19 -0700, Ockham's Razor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I would like to "paint" over digital photos to try to "convert" them to
    >> >a different "art" form. I want to use the original color in the digital
    >> >photo, but add the brush stroke effect.
    >> >
    >> >PS Elements has some ways to convert photos to different art effects,
    >> >but they are not what I want.
    >> >
    >> >I cannot afford PS CS (and do not even know if it would do what I wish.)
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    >> >want?
    >> >
    >> >TIA

    >> Try Irfan View with the imported filters available for free.

    > Should have said for Mac OS X.

    There's probably a filter in the GIMP that can do what you want.
    http://gimp.org/macintosh/

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jul 2, 2006
  5. Ockham's Razor

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > I would like to "paint" over digital photos to try to "convert" them to
    > a different "art" form. I want to use the original color in the digital
    > photo, but add the brush stroke effect.
    >
    > I cannot afford PS CS (and do not even know if it would do what I wish.)

    I love Photoshop but it's not the right app for this task ...

    > Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    > want?

    I think the best way to do this is with a Wacom tablet (or the brush
    strokes will NEVER look convincing) and a program called Painter (this
    will set you back a few hundred bucks though). Then get the book
    "Painter IX Creativity" by Jeremy Sutton and work thru the examples
    (you can google him to see some examples). Here's a couple of his
    sample portraits ...

    http://www.paintercreativity.com/articles/js-ballerina-sitting.html
    http://www.paintercreativity.com/articles/js-impassionedpaint.html
    http://www.paintercreativity.com/gallery/jsgallery/page06.html

    All the easy ways to convert a photo look stiff and too obviously
    computer-generated, I feel, but Painter does a good job of mimicing
    actual brush strokes.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 2, 2006
  6. Ockham's Razor

    judy Guest

    Try Artrage - a $20 download - you can paint directly on your photos, or you
    can make a tracing copy and paint on that. It has many great features and
    will give you very painterly effects.

    Judy

    judy, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Corel Picture Publisher 10 has a feature "Paint Studio" that allows you
    to convert a photo to water color or oils and other features. It's
    discontinued I think, but you can find a used copy.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Q5IM/002-8602779-4013603?v=glance&n=229534

    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Ockham's Razor

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > I would like to "paint" over digital photos to try to "convert" them to
    > a different "art" form. I want to use the original color in the digital
    > photo, but add the brush stroke effect.
    >
    > PS Elements has some ways to convert photos to different art effects,
    > but they are not what I want.
    >
    > I cannot afford PS CS (and do not even know if it would do what I wish.)
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas about an application that could do what I
    > want?
    >
    > TIA

    I am surprised that PE will not do this. I am not familiar with it,
    though. I use PSP.

    I add a layer over the original. I paint on the new layer. I go into
    the original (lower layer) and use the color picker to pick the color of
    an area. I then select the brush, and paint over the area, painting on
    layer 2. One can clearly see all areas not yet painted over.

    Don Stauffer, Jul 2, 2006