Paint Shop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tiddlywink, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Tiddlywink

    Tiddlywink Guest

    Tiddlywink, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Tiddlywink

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Tiddlywink wrote:

    > I see Corel has purchased JASC, have wasted many hours in the past messing
    > about with Paint Shop.
    >
    > http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...s/Release&sid=1047022959204&cid=1047023901915

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    thats a shame :( PSP was great... spose it won't be now.. at least all
    the old versions will always be valid..
    Ripping Silk, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Tiddlywink

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:59:13 +1300, Ripping Silk
    <> wrote:

    >thats a shame :( PSP was great... spose it won't be now.. at least all
    >the old versions will always be valid..

    There has been a lot of negative posts regarding Corel purchasing Jasc
    in most of the PSP groups I belong to. However I saw the below
    message posted into an Outlook Express stationery group yesterday.

    <quote>

    I got this from Kris (works for Jasc Software) and you need to read
    this.

    There has been quite an over-reaction to the purchase of Jasc. It's a
    change of course - and a big one - but the sky isn't falling and an
    apocalyptic end to the world is not around the corner :) We're all
    here still working away busily. As usual I am not allowed to discuss
    future product plans but I and my team are definitely working on a
    variety of things, which I have every hope of getting into the hands
    of customers. Frankly, to someone in my shoes the negativity of some
    of the reactions is quite depressing and also way overwrought. Corel
    has stated that they purchased Jasc for the Paint Shop family of
    products, which gives them entry into consumer imaging software and
    participation in the digital camera driven market. If you look at
    their current imaging products they are aimed at professionals and do
    not have a strong presence in digital camera software.

    The entire strategy of Corel is to always provide better value for
    money than the competition, whether it is WordPerfect competing with
    MS Word or CorelDRAW competing with Adobe Illustrator. Now they have
    PSP to compete with Photoshop and Studio to compete with Elements.
    Jasc has also pursued the policy of being the high value alternative
    to Adobe, which fits very well with Corel's approach. Corel is, for
    the last year or so, held privately by a venture capital company and
    has new management. This provides as source of investment and a focus
    that may have been lacking previously. This could open up a lot of
    possibilities for the future of the Paint Shop family of products.
    Corel also has access to many markets and sales channels that Jasc did
    not have. That also opens up new prospects for PSP, Studio and Album.
    In fact, it is in Corel's financial interest to make a success of
    former Jasc products. That's why the instantly negative reactions seem
    so unfounded.

    Kris
    </quote>
    Kookaburra, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Tiddlywink

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:15:46 +1300, "Tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot
    net dot nz> wrote:

    >I see Corel has purchased JASC, have wasted many hours in the past messing
    >about with Paint Shop.

    and I've been wasting many hours playing with PSP9 as I was told it
    was far better than PSP8 (which I found a dog). PSP7 is still my
    choice.
    Kookaburra, Oct 20, 2004