    Any ideas? - this does not happen with the copy of Photoshop Elements that I
    have recently acquired, but I don't want to switch products, nor pay-out for
    an upgrade to PSP - and then another one, and then another one et al

    R. Murphy, Nov 12, 2005

  2. R. Murphy

    jb Guest

    > I have paint Shop pro 6.0
    >
    > And for some reason, when I save as JPEG, the image in the JPEG is darker
    > than the carefully-adjusted image in the PSP file! This did not used to
    > happen, but I'm at a loss to know why (I haven't changed machine or op
    > system since I last used the product ....
    >
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Any ideas? - this does not happen with the copy of Photoshop Elements that I
    > have recently acquired, but I don't want to switch products, nor pay-out for
    > an upgrade to PSP - and then another one, and then another one et al

    Check whether PSP is using a monitor profile or an internal monitor
    gamma adjustment.

    jb, Nov 12, 2005

  3. On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:54:29 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "R. Murphy"
    <> wrote:

    >I have paint Shop pro 6.0
    >
    >And for some reason, when I save as JPEG, the image in the JPEG is darker
    >than the carefully-adjusted image in the PSP file!

    As viewed in what program? Saving the file shouldn't alter how the program
    is seen at all in PSP I don't remember what settings for Color Management
    PSPS6 had or were. In PSP8 they are in File => Preferences => Color
    Management. Any changes here will most likely make PSP to display images
    differently than just IE, NS or the XP image viewer.

    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 13, 2005
  4. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:54:29 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "R. Murphy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have paint Shop pro 6.0
    >>
    >>And for some reason, when I save as JPEG, the image in the JPEG is darker
    >>than the carefully-adjusted image in the PSP file!

    > As viewed in what program? Saving the file shouldn't alter how the
    > program
    > is seen at all in PSP I don't remember what settings for Color Management
    > PSPS6 had or were. In PSP8 they are in File => Preferences => Color
    > Management. Any changes here will most likely make PSP to display images
    > differently than just IE, NS or the XP image viewer.

    Simply opening the JPEG using Windows picture and Fax viewer.

    This happens with JPEGS produced from PSP files from Paint Shop Pro 7.

    Does NOT happen with PSP 10 (just downloaded the trial), nor Photoshop
    Elements - in these cases the JPG is identical to the original PSP file
    viewed side-by-side (PSP open within PSP, JPG open with the picture viewer).

    Given these comnparisons, it points to the way PSP 6 produces the JPG I
    would think.

    R. Murphy, Nov 13, 2005
  5. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    "jb" <> wrote in message
    >> I have paint Shop pro 6.0
    >>
    >> And for some reason, when I save as JPEG, the image in the JPEG is darker
    >> than the carefully-adjusted image in the PSP file! This did not used to
    >> happen, but I'm at a loss to know why (I haven't changed machine or op
    >> system since I last used the product ....
    >>
    >> Windows XP
    >>
    >> Any ideas? - this does not happen with the copy of Photoshop Elements
    >> that I have recently acquired, but I don't want to switch products, nor
    >> pay-out for an upgrade to PSP - and then another one, and then another
    >> one et al

    > Check whether PSP is using a monitor profile or an internal monitor gamma
    > adjustment.

    OK thanks -- while I think you suggesting I try switching from whatever the
    current setting is to the other setting, what's the difference?

    R. Murphy, Nov 13, 2005
  6. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:21:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "R. Murphy"
    <> wrote:

    >>"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    >> As viewed in what program?

    >Simply opening the JPEG using Windows picture and Fax viewer.
    >
    >This happens with JPEGS produced from PSP files from Paint Shop Pro 7.
    >
    >Does NOT happen with PSP 10 (just downloaded the trial), nor Photoshop
    >Elements - in these cases the JPG is identical to the original PSP file
    >viewed side-by-side (PSP open within PSP, JPG open with the picture viewer).
    >
    >Given these comnparisons, it points to the way PSP 6 produces the JPG I
    >would think.

    From all you've said it would appear to have nothing to do with the image
    itself, but how you have color management setup within the various versions
    of PSP and PSE. With color management enabled in PSP you able to choose a
    profile for your monitor and your printer and then choose what the
    rendering intent is. Meaning for instance you can choose to have the image
    displayed as it would be printed on a given paper with the proper ICC
    profile. Given what you've said somehow you've changed the settings in the
    version of PSP that looks different. If you didn't explicitly enable CM in
    PSP10 it's not enabled by default. In PSE3 CM settings are chosen in Edit
    => Color Settings.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 13, 2005
  7. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    Spot on, thankyou.

    I'm not quite sure how I did it, but you've hit the nail on the head.

    Not sure if something happened while installing my new Minolta scanner
    (unlikely I would have thought) or the Adobe S/W that can with it (which
    seems just as unlikely), but sorted now, thanks to all who replied.

    R. Murphy, Nov 13, 2005