    ever since I bought it and the only solution I've come up with is to have
    everyone logged on and to hibernate instead of shutdown. This fills the ram
    and makes it open applications as slowly as my old 450MHz. Any ideas?
    Lewis, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Lewis

    °Mike° Guest

    What antivirus software do you have installed? And is
    it set to scan vigorously?

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:42:08 +0000 (UTC), in
    <d1kg60$2nr$>
    Lewis scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    I have AVG and although all the settings are enabled such as resident shield
    I tried booting without it and it didn't make any difference.
    Thanks for the reply

    Lewis, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Lewis

    °Mike° Guest

    Then I suggest, first, that you clean your system out -- see
    my signature.

    Once you have done that, I suggest that you scan your system
    with AT LEAST two online antivirus scanners:

    Once completed, download, update and use ALL of the
    following -- even if you already have them installed, UPDATE
    THEM NOW. Malware changes by the day, even by the hour,
    so you MUST have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    Now maintained by InterMute
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:05:58 +0000 (UTC), in
    <d1khim$4he$>
    Lewis scrawled:

    >I have AVG and although all the settings are enabled such as resident shield
    >I tried booting without it and it didn't make any difference.
    >Thanks for the reply

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 20, 2005
  5. Lewis

    dwacon Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > After booting up and logging on to Windows XP, once all the desktop
    > shortcuts have been loaded up etc. the hard drive light on my PC remains

    on
    > for at least 4 minutes. During this time, the hard drive is virtually
    > inaccessible, and no programs can be loaded, as it's completely busy doing
    > what ever it does for this time. What's even worse is that if one user

    logs
    > off and another logs on, it will do the same thing again as soon as it's
    > done "Loading your personal settings". My PC has a 2.6GHz Celeron

    processor
    > and 256MB ram. Although I realise this is no performance PC, am I not

    right
    > in thinking this is a ridiculous time to wait every log on? It's done

    this
    > ever since I bought it and the only solution I've come up with is to have
    > everyone logged on and to hibernate instead of shutdown. This fills the

    ram
    > and makes it open applications as slowly as my old 450MHz. Any ideas?

    Try shrinking your profile by emptying all items out of "My Documents" into
    another drive -- like C:\hold\My Documents

    This helped me.

    --
    The Whip Company
    "We Don't Make Whips... We Whip Ass!"