painfully slow download speeds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Susan Brown, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Susan Brown

    Susan Brown Guest

    I`m on broadband and have windows xp, I`ve done the usual of defragging and
    clearing cookies etc, but my downloads speeds are that slow I may as well
    not bother. Average speeds on winmx are usually 0.15 k/s, sometimes even
    slower. I reckon it`s because there`s so much stuff running in the backround
    but I don`t know what is safe to shut. I`ll put the list underneath, can
    somebody tell me which processes I can end, and will this speed the
    downloads up?

    taskmgr.exe svchost.exe
    winmx.exe MMTrayLSI.exe
    msnmsgs.exe lsass.exe
    svchost.exe services.exe
    PERSFW.exe winlogon.exe
    ashServ.exe realsched.exe
    aswUpdSv csrss.exe
    getright.exe smss.exe
    LEXPPS.EXE ashDisp.exe
    spoolsv.exe qttask.exe
    LEXBCES.EXE wcmdmgr.exe
    explorer.exe InCD.exe
    getright.exe lxbabmon.exe
    CConnect.exe lxbabmgr.exe
    svchost.exe x3 lwbwheel.exe
    iDetect.exe ashMailsv.exe
    overnet.exe system
    MMTray.exe system idle process
    MMTray2K.exe

    Susan Brown, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Susan Brown

    deleted item Guest

    This site will give you the details you require to select the unnecessary
    startup processes...
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Mick

    deleted item, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Susan Brown

    deleted item Guest

    Also looks like you've got a (KASPING) virus...

    deleted item, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Susan Brown

    °Mike° Guest

    Carry out these tasks, in order...

    Clean your system. Be sure to take special note of
    the startup pages from this link.

    Basic computer maintenance

    Install, update and use:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    Install HijackThis and post the contents of the log here.

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:14:16 -0000, in
    <Nk7tb.46$>
    Susan Brown scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  5. "Susan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > I`m on broadband and have windows xp, I`ve done the usual of defragging

    and
    > clearing cookies etc, but my downloads speeds are that slow I may as well
    > not bother. Average speeds on winmx are usually 0.15 k/s, sometimes even
    > slower.

    Download speeds on winmx are not an indicator of your connection
    speed....they are an indication of the remote machines connection speed;)

    download a file off of www.tucows.com for a better indicator.

    Clear Horizon, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Susan Brown

    meikigibo Guest

    www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    Instantly 'fixed' similar problem for me.

    meikigibo, Nov 15, 2003
  7. On 15/11/03 11:04 pm, in article ,
    "meikigibo" <> wrote:

    > www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    >
    > Instantly 'fixed' similar problem for me.
    >
    > "Clear Horizon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Susan Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>> I`m on broadband and have windows xp, I`ve done the usual of defragging

    >> and
    >>> clearing cookies etc, but my downloads speeds are that slow I may as

    > well
    >>> not bother. Average speeds on winmx are usually 0.15 k/s, sometimes even
    >>> slower.

    >> Download speeds on winmx are not an indicator of your connection
    >> speed....they are an indication of the remote machines connection speed;)
    >>
    >> download a file off of www.tucows.com for a better indicator.

    I know this sounds stupid, but try replacing your USB or ethernet cable...
    Sounds crazy but it worked for me.

    N.E. Mac Spares, Nov 16, 2003