Pagefile

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bert Hyman, Mar 27, 2009.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:49cce205$0$27771$ "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    > What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition
    > it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
    >
    > I am running
    > XP Pro SP2
    > [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
    >
    > Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

    You could move the page file to the E partition, and/or force the size
    of the pagefile to anything you like.

    Pagefile size of about 2x physical memory is a typical suggestion, but
    "System managed size" is recommended unless you have a specific reason
    to set your own size.

    Right click the "My Computer" icon, select "Properties". On the
    "Advanced" tab, press the "Settings" button in the "Performance"
    section, select the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options" dialog,
    then press the "Change" button in the "Virtual memory" section.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009

  3. Bert Hyman

    thanatoid Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news:49cce205$0$27771$ "The Stone
    > Crusher" <> wrote:
    >
    >> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB!
    >> The partition it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the
    >> space I need.
    >>
    >> I am running
    >> XP Pro SP2
    >> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of
    >> RAM]
    >>
    >> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

    First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into 6-10
    smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a partition
    freak.

    AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional CAD or
    video or music editing programs, 2 MB of RAM pretty much insures
    you almost never use your swap file. You can /probably/ make it
    500MB (same max/min), put it on another partition, and forget
    you even have it.

    Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and a
    200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a test a
    while ago, it didn't use the swap file either. People forget you
    used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16 MB of RAM.

    The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed programs
    which hog system and memory. A very complex but extremely well
    written program, CoolEditPro, now known as Adobe Audition (who
    knows what /they've/ done to it), makes its own temp files
    because it is music editing and that takes a lot of space. Just
    an example.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 27, 2009
  4. That is how I have it set~

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  5. "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > Bert Hyman <> wrote in
    >
    >> In news:49cce205$0$27771$ "The Stone
    >> Crusher" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB!
    >>> The partition it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the
    >>> space I need.
    >>>
    >>> I am running
    >>> XP Pro SP2
    >>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of
    >>> RAM]
    >>>
    >>> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

    > First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into 6-10

    I don't understant (WTF id D?) unless it is asking what is on D. It is the
    drive letter of the optical drive.
    > smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a partition
    > freak.
    >
    > AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional CAD or

    What does AFA mean, and where do I find the swap file and how do I . . .
    I do music editing . . .
    > video or music editing programs,

    2 MB of RAM pretty much insures you almost never use your swap file.
    That's what I have
    You can /probably/ make it 500MB (same max/min), put it on another
    partition, and forget you even have it.
    How do you do that?
    > Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and a
    > 200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a test a
    > while ago, it didn't use the swap file either. People forget you
    > used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16 MB of RAM.
    >
    > The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed programs
    > which hog system and memory. A very complex but extremely well
    > written program, CoolEditPro, now known as Adobe Audition (who
    > knows what /they've/ done to it), makes its own temp files
    > because it is music editing and that takes a lot of space. Just
    > an example.

    You may have hit the nail on the head. That is what I use!!!

    > --
    > "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"

    OP???
    > (about thanatoid)

    Thanks for responding,
    Goodwill,
    Luke
    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:49cd13f7$0$22538$ "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    > That is how I have it set~

    What's how you have it set? Managed by Windows or on the E partition?

    If it's managed by Windows, I doubt that Windows ever makes the swap
    file any smaller once it's had to enlarge it, so if you're concerned
    about the size and don't want to move it to your larger partition,
    you'll have to set the size to something you like through the "Custom
    size" settings of the Virtual Memory dialog.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Mar 27, 2009
  7. Bert Hyman

    chuckcar Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    > What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it
    > is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
    >
    > I am running
    > XP Pro SP2
    > [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
    >
    > Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    So what does task manager say you are running? programs require memory
    after all.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 27, 2009
  8. Bert Hyman

    thanatoid Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in

    >> First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into
    >> 6-10

    > I don't understant (WTF id D?) unless it is asking what is
    > on D. It is the drive letter of the optical drive.

    I typo'd it, WTF is "where the ****" ///is/// (although usually
    it means WHAT the ****).

    Then it "should" be E, unless D is external or something. All
    internal drives come first, C,D,E, then F for the DVD drive or
    whatever.

    >> smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a
    >> partition freak.
    >>
    >> AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional
    >> CAD or

    > What does AFA

    As far as.

    > mean, and where do I find the swap file and
    > how do I . . . I do music editing . . .

    >> video or music editing programs,

    > 2 MB of RAM pretty much insures you almost never use your
    > swap file. That's what I have
    > You can /probably/ make it 500MB (same max/min), put it on
    > another partition, and forget you even have it.

    > How do you do that?

    You go to control panel - system - performance - virtual memory
    (on a 98 machine, may be slightly different on yours...) Then
    choose a DEFRAGGED drive - or defrag a drive first - with 500MB
    free and make the min-max sizes the same (it will tell you NOT
    to do it, ignore that) and restart the machine.
    I know in XP "let Windows manage your virtual memory" is
    "supposed to" work better, but a 5GB swap file is ridiculous.
    Unless you use Audition and Adobe changed the "private" temp
    files of Cool Edit Pro to using the main swap file, in which
    case you should leave everything as it is. Temp music files CAN
    take that much space. But Cool Edit Pro let you choose the size
    and location of its temp files and it deleted everything at the
    end of the session. Who knows what Adobe did to it.

    >> Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and
    >> a 200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a
    >> test a while ago, it didn't use the swap file either.

    >> People forget you used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16
    >> MB of RAM.
    >>
    >> The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed
    >> programs which hog system and memory. A very complex but
    >> extremely well written program, CoolEditPro, now known as
    >> Adobe Audition (who knows what /they've/ done to it),
    >> makes its own temp files because it is music editing and
    >> that takes a lot of space. Just an example.

    > You may have hit the nail on the head. That is what I
    > use!!!

    Like I said above, chances are Adobe fucked up a great program,
    but if you use the original Cool Edit Pro by Syntrillium, you
    can follow the swap file advice.

    >> "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"

    > OP???

    "Original post" or "original poster", in this case ME, that's
    what someone once said about a post of mine and I found it
    amusing so I am using it as a signature.

    thanatoid, Mar 28, 2009
  9. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Luke The Stone Crusher" wrote:
    >> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition
    >> it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.

    > So what does task manager say you are running? programs require memory
    > after all.

    "The CureAll! Shut off everything in Task Manager!!!"

    Chuckybabe, get a new line.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 28, 2009
  10. Bert Hyman

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:56:04 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >"The CureAll! Shut off everything in Task Manager!!!"
    >
    >Chuckybabe, get a new line.

    *after* you've removed all cards from your computer and reset your
    BIOS to factory defaults.
    Evan Platt, Mar 28, 2009
  11. Bert Hyman

    lugnut Guest

    On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:26:03 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it is
    >on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
    >
    > I am running
    >XP Pro SP2
    >[Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
    >
    >Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
    >
    >Goodwill,
    >Luke

    Luke,

    You can keep looking for any and all technical answers to
    your question. The truth is that XP runs best with a
    system controlled pagefile Which is usually about 1.5 times
    installed ram - it may be more but seldem much smaller if
    machine controlled. The pagefile is is just a swap file
    which prevents the os from hesitating unnucessarily while
    process or switching operations. If you hit the max ram,
    the OS has to completely unload the drivers, etc that are
    not directly related to what it is doing befor it can load
    the required drivers, etc. Much of this info is not stored
    un a useable format for the OS on the hard drive and has to
    be re-processed for each operation thereby taking up
    additional time. If the pagefile is used, the OS simply
    dumps the data as-is to the pagefile leaving it ready for
    immediate use when next required. This allows a machine to
    process data which may actually requires 2GB of ram to run
    with only 256MB installed albeit a bit slow. I have seen
    recommendations that you remove the pagefile or manually
    limit it's size. This can result in being slowed or
    prevented from running some software that requires more ram
    than installed.

    The pagefile is usually controlled by the machine at about
    1.5 times installed ram. It's size is dynamic determined by
    the demands of the operating system plus any loaded
    software. In any case about 1.5 times installed ram makes
    sure the machine can keep processing if it approaches the
    limit of the installed ram. There are many apps that need
    more than the installed ram because of the size of the files
    generated. Some use the tmp/temp folders somewhere on the
    machine. If you check your C: partition, you will likely
    find one of each in the root directory. Windows probably
    has one in it's own folder.

    If you ever used hibernate on your machine, you also have a
    hiberfile on the C: partition. The hiberfile is located in
    the root folder and will be large enough to hold everything
    the machine has in ram and pagefile when hibernate was
    invoked.

    You can go into the environment controls and move these
    files to another partition where they will also take up
    space. Over the long term, this strategy is difficult to
    control or enforce because of software installs. I am no
    expert by any stretch on computers but, I have been
    tinkering and hacking them as well as install and setup for
    near 30 years. On my own machines and those that follow my
    recommendation for a stabil machine, I usually setup the C:
    partition to handle the OS and all of it's supporting
    utilities form whatever source like the firewall, a/v, file
    managers or machine info utils. I also make sure the C:
    partition is large enough to handle all of the temp/tmp
    files, the pagefile and the hiberfile as well as any memory
    dump files that may be generated during a machine or
    software crash. On my machines, the C: partition usually
    needs to be about 40GB. Keep in mind that some software
    will refuse to install or run unless it is able to install
    or access the system partition. I usually setup a partition
    for application installs like an office suite, video editor,
    audio editing and any other non system related software. I
    use another partition to store any data or record files. In
    my own case, I have a second Business data partition where I
    store everything related to the business and yet another
    partition where all downloads are sent and may be stored in
    an archive folder. I also make sure any video or DSC camera
    downloads or temporary files for editing are stored there.

    If I am setting up a machine that has a large drive for
    someone who is computer ir technically illiterate with no
    interest other than internet surfing or basic use, I use
    only a C: partition no matter the drive size. Most users
    have no concept of the idea that a computer storage system
    is no greatly different than an office file cabinet. They
    just want a big shoe box the throw thing into.

    In your case, I would suggest you download the free version
    of something like Easeus Partition manager to increase the
    size of your C: partition to at least 30GB unless you forsee
    installing a lot more software there. If you will not be
    installing more applications, you will be amazed at how much
    better it will perform by just going up to 20GB. This
    package will not alter or destroy any data on the drive.
    You will need to leave the machine idle while it does it's
    thing. If you do this, reduce the size of the E: partition
    first. You can then increase the C: partition size to use
    all of the space freed by reducing the E: drive size. Once
    you setup what you want done, press the apply button and
    take a break for a few minutes. If this is a laptop, make
    sure it is not turned off or otherwise interrupted during
    the process. Another free alternative is GPartEd which is a
    live linux disc. Download it, burn to CD, boot the machine.
    It will boot to a windows-like GUI which is similar to most
    other apps of the sort. This also will do the job with no
    data loss or corruption under most conditions unless the
    machine loses power during the process. You should make or
    already have a backup of any data you cannot afford to lose.

    Lugnut
    lugnut, Mar 31, 2009
  12. Bert Hyman

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:21:43 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >I GIVE UP!

    You've gotten good answers from a lot of people here, but apparently
    ignored them.

    Best of luck.
    Evan Platt, Apr 1, 2009
  13. I GIVE UP!

    The Stone Crusher, Apr 1, 2009
  14. The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I GIVE UP!

    It's your clock that's giving you all the troubles...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2009
  15. The Stone Crusher wrote:
    > I GIVE UP!
    > "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in message
    >> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it
    >> is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
    >>
    >> I am running
    >> XP Pro SP2
    >> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
    >>
    >> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
    >>
    >> Goodwill,
    >> Luke

    Set your own swap file size then and see if it works :)
    You wont learn anything unless you break stuff...

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org
    ________ ______ _____________
    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 1, 2009
  16. Bert Hyman

    lugnut Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I GIVE UP!

    Now, you have guaranteed failure.

    What you need to give up is some space on the C: partition
    so the systerm can do it's job. If you cannot give up more
    space for the OS, you need a bigger drive or remove some of
    the stuff that is on it. Simpl as that and those are your
    choices if you want it to run properly. Hard drives are
    cheap - 500 GB laptop drive around here and on the net for
    under $100 US.

    Good luck

    Lugnut

    lugnut, Apr 2, 2009