    What is the difference between a paging file like pagefile.sys and the
    cache.

    Under Win ME win386.swp was the cache, but this seems to have gone from XP?
    No-one, May 7, 2005

  2. No-one

    FML Guest

    No-one spewed forth...

    > What is the difference between a paging file like pagefile.sys and the
    > cache.

    A swap or paging file acts much like additional ram for your computer. Say
    you have 5 open applications and when you open a sixth, you run out of
    physical ram. The os will swap the ram being used by the inactive
    applications out to disk and make the physical ram available to the active
    application. It is a bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of
    it.

    Assuming you are talking about IE cache, it is a placed where pages that
    you have visited in the past are stored so that the next time you go to
    them, the text or the graphics or maybe even the whole page can be loaded
    from your harddrive instead of the server which is of course faster. Again,
    it is a bit more complicated than that.

    > Under Win ME win386.swp was the cache, but this seems to have gone
    > from XP?

    As its extension implies, win386.swp is a swap file not a cache.
    FML, May 7, 2005

  3. No-one

    Ron Martell Guest

    No-one <> wrote:

    >What is the difference between a paging file like pagefile.sys and the
    >cache.
    >
    >Under Win ME win386.swp was the cache, but this seems to have gone from XP?

    A paging file is a disk file that is used to compensate for the lack
    of sufficient physical RAM to meet the total memory requirements of
    the computer.

    A cache, in the most general terms, is a small area of high speed
    storage that is used to augment the performance of a lower speed
    storage by storing the most recently and/or the most frequently used
    items from the lower speed storage.

    Thus a CPU chip has an on-board cache where program instructions are
    stored so that they can be accessed faster than they can from RAM.

    Windows uses a disk cache to store recently read data from the hard
    drive in RAM because RAM is much faster to access than is the hard
    drive.

    Web browsers use a data cache on the hard drive to store recently
    accessed information from web pages because the hard drive is usually
    faster than getting the information again from the web site,
    especially with a dial-up Internet connection.

    In WindowsMe the Win386.swp was the Swap file, which is the equivalent
    of the paging file in Windows XP. The only cache in WindowsMe that
    existed as files was the web browser cache, which was in the Temporary
    Internet Files folder, the same as it is in Windows XP.

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, May 7, 2005
  4. No-one

    Plato Guest

    No-one wrote:

    > What is the difference between a paging file like pagefile.sys and the
    > cache.
    >
    > Under Win ME win386.swp was the cache, but this seems to have gone from XP?

    no, win386.swp was the swap/pagefile. NOte the .swp stands for swap

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 8, 2005