    this normal? I have no idea. I see this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99768 and wonder if that sounds right.

    Thanks

    who'sthat, Sep 2, 2007

  2. who'sthat

    philo Guest

    "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > I was looking around my C: and noticed that pagefile.sys is 1.07GB. Is
    > this normal? I have no idea. I see this
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99768 and wonder if that sounds right.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes that's normal...
    nothing to fret about or try to adjust

    philo, Sep 2, 2007

  3. who'sthat

    ded Guest

    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > I was looking around my C: and noticed that pagefile.sys is 1.07GB. Is
    > this normal? I have no idea. I see this

    Perfectly healthy. Optimisation, read this:
    http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99768 and wonder if that sounds right.
    >
    > Thanks

    The KB article only gives the basic explaination, but covers it mostly.
    What is it exactly that you are worried about?

    ded, Sep 3, 2007
  4. who'sthat

    who'sthat Guest

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 01:00:42 +0100, "ded" <> wrote:

    >"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> I was looking around my C: and noticed that pagefile.sys is 1.07GB. Is
    >> this normal? I have no idea. I see this

    >Perfectly healthy. Optimisation, read this:
    >http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99768 and wonder if that sounds right.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >The KB article only gives the basic explaination, but covers it mostly.
    >What is it exactly that you are worried about?

    Nothing. I was just looking at files (Scanner
    http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/) and noticed the size. I use
    this program to find directories gone wild from misdirected downloads.
    After reading the article I wasn't sure if I was WNLs.
    Thanks

    who'sthat, Sep 3, 2007
  5. who'sthat

    who'sthat Guest

    who'sthat, Sep 3, 2007
  6. who'sthat

    Plato Guest

    who'sthat wrote:

    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > I was looking around my C: and noticed that pagefile.sys is 1.07GB. Is
    > this normal? I have no idea. I see this

    Yes, no need to worry. Windows will only use the pagefile if it has to.
    Even if/when it does and yes it does even if you have loads of ram, its
    part of Windows.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 3, 2007
  7. who'sthat

    Ron Martell Guest

    "ded" <> wrote:

    >"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> I was looking around my C: and noticed that pagefile.sys is 1.07GB. Is
    >> this normal? I have no idea. I see this

    >Perfectly healthy. Optimisation, read this:
    >http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

    Best to ignore the advice on that site. It has some major errors and
    inaccuracies, such as:

    "Have the initial size be at least 1.5 times bigger than the amount of
    physical RAM."

    That is totally bogus and especially for systems with more than 512 of
    RAM it will be a waste of disk space. The minimum size needs to be
    just a bit larger than the actual amount of valid memory content that
    is moved to the page file during normal operations. This can be as
    little as 50 mb or it can be several hundreds of megabytes depending
    on how the computer is used and on how much RAM is installed.

    The page file exists to compensate for the lack of sufficient physical
    RAM to meet the total memory address space requirements of the
    computer. The size of the page file is inversely related to the
    amount of physical RAM. More RAM means less page file and less RAM
    means more page file if all other factors remain constant. Any
    purported rule that relates page file size to the amount of RAM is
    totally wrong.

    The maximum size of the page file should be set to a fairly large
    value so as not to impair the ability of the system to meet the memory
    requirements placed on it. My current page file settings, with 1 gb
    of RAM, are 80 mb minimum and 3 gb maximum. The physical size of the
    file on disk never exceeds the 80 mb even though the PF Usage reported
    by Task Manager is usually in the hundreds of megabytes (current value
    541 mb).

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --