    I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:

    Thanks in advance
    , Sep 20, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    >run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    >either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    >up too much space where it is.

    I take it your running an NT system as well, go into your NT OS Right
    click "My computer", properties, advanced, performance, Advanced,
    change virtual memory - and it's location

    >I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:

    It's hidden and a system file.

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88
    , Sep 20, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    > run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    > either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    > up too much space where it is.
    >
    > I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I haven't used 98 for some time. IIRC, right-click My
    Computer, then Performance tab -> Virtual Memory.
    Choose to specify your own settings for virtual memory.
    , Sep 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    > > run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    > > either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    > > up too much space where it is.
    > >
    > > I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    > I haven't used 98 for some time. IIRC, right-click My
    > Computer, then Performance tab -> Virtual Memory.
    > Choose to specify your own settings for virtual memory.

    Oops. After right-clicking My Computer, click Properties.
    THEN click Performance tab.
    , Sep 20, 2006
  5. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    > run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    > either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    > up too much space where it is.
    >
    > I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I'd like to know how you get it to be that way.
    Windows 98, as I recall, wants to naturally boot up in the C: drive as this
    is naturally the first place to look.
    Most of the internal settings, specially in the registry, are designed to be
    called from the C: drive.
    As I also recall, I don't think I could ever get it to load on any drive
    other than C:.
    richard, Sep 20, 2006
  6. John Holmes Guest

    richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    >> run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    >> either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is
    >> taking up too much space where it is.
    >>
    >> I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > I'd like to know how you get it to be that way.
    > Windows 98, as I recall, wants to naturally boot up in the C: drive as
    > this is naturally the first place to look.
    > Most of the internal settings, specially in the registry, are designed
    > to be called from the C: drive.
    > As I also recall, I don't think I could ever get it to load on any
    > drive other than C:.

    There are several people in this world that I find obnoxious and you are
    all of them.

    --
    Your mother was a diabolic hotel receptionist who ended up in hot-air
    balloons.
    John Holmes, Sep 20, 2006
  7. In article <>, "richard" <>
    wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    > > run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    > > either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    > > up too much space where it is.
    > >
    > > I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    > I'd like to know how you get it to be that way.
    > Windows 98, as I recall, wants to naturally boot up in the C: drive as this
    > is naturally the first place to look.
    > Most of the internal settings, specially in the registry, are designed to be
    > called from the C: drive.
    > As I also recall, I don't think I could ever get it to load on any drive
    > other than C:.

    pagefile.sys has nothing to do with Windows 98. Sounds like you're
    running an NT based operating system in addition to 98, such as NT,
    2000, or XP.
    David Matthew Wood, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Guest

    To all
    I apologize for not giving enough infromation. I have my main 80G
    HD partitioned in 2 partitions. One(C:) is is 2G running Win98 and the
    other (D:) is the reramainder of thre disk running XP Pro. I am set up
    to choose either C: or D: on startup, with D: being the default.

    I woild appreciate any hints to get pagefile.sys off the C: "drive"

    Thanks

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:17:25 GMT, wrote:

    >I have a small (2 gig) partition C: on my HD for programs that only
    >run in W98. Somehow pagefile.sys ended up there. How can I
    >either delete it or get it transferred to another "disc". It is taking
    >up too much space where it is.
    >
    >I cannot get it to show up on the file list of C:
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    , Sep 22, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > To all
    > I apologize for not giving enough infromation. I have my main 80G
    > HD partitioned in 2 partitions. One(C:) is is 2G running Win98 and the
    > other (D:) is the reramainder of thre disk running XP Pro. I am set up
    > to choose either C: or D: on startup, with D: being the default.
    >
    > I woild appreciate any hints to get pagefile.sys off the C: "drive"
    >
    > Thanks

    Thought so, as pagefile.sys is what NT based OSs call it (it's
    win386.swp in 95, 98, and ME).
    At any rate, go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886
    David Matthew Wood, Sep 22, 2006
  10. Guest

    David
    Thank you very much
    Bill

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:20:58 GMT, David Matthew Wood
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >wrote:
    >
    >> To all
    >> I apologize for not giving enough infromation. I have my main 80G
    >> HD partitioned in 2 partitions. One(C:) is is 2G running Win98 and the
    >> other (D:) is the reramainder of thre disk running XP Pro. I am set up
    >> to choose either C: or D: on startup, with D: being the default.
    >>
    >> I woild appreciate any hints to get pagefile.sys off the C: "drive"
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Thought so, as pagefile.sys is what NT based OSs call it (it's
    >win386.swp in 95, 98, and ME).
    >At any rate, go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886
    , Sep 25, 2006