    Can anyone tell me how I can find out when a web page was last updated?
    Thanks
    Bernie

    Bernie McAlister, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Bernie McAlister

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:21:28 +0100, Bernie McAlister wrote:

    >Hi
    >Can anyone tell me how I can find out when a web page was last updated?
    >Thanks
    >Bernie

    Ask the webmaster to include the date/time on the page?

    Sometimes the last mod date can be sen in the server response from a
    HTTP/GET command.

    Use this utility http://samspade.org/ssw/download.html called Sam Spade,
    simply paste the URL in the top left box and click the web icon.

    If it's a non-Windows OS, you didn't say, this can also work (the
    HTTP/1.1 can also be HTTP/1.0)

    telnet <webserver.address> 80
    GET /path/ HTTP/1.1

    Back to using Sam Spade - for the mozilla start page the output is -

    09/18/03 03:20:40 Browsing http://www.mozilla.org/start/
    Fetching http://www.mozilla.org/start/ ...
    GET /start/ HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.mozilla.org
    Connection: close
    Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:34:30 GMT

    Also perl and some of the www module features will fetch pages. Not sure
    if it's 'wget' I am thinking about.

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2003