    --
    How many of you are in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 28, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Gordon Guest

    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{
    }}}}.net wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Does it do any good to put the swap file on a separate partition of
    > your hard drive? I have a single 80GB drive

    Not really. The only time that's a good idea is if you put it on a SEPARATE
    little-used hard disk
    Gordon, Jan 28, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:fxQCf.1540$,
    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    spewed forth:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Does it do any good to put the swap file on a separate partition of
    > your hard drive?

    Not really. If you have a second drive, that would help though. Here's why:
    if you are accessing a swap file on a second partition, it would mean
    butterflying the hard drive heads back and forth between the working data
    portion of the drive and the swap file portion of the drive. That head
    movement would actually slow the process. If your swap file is on a second
    drive (preferably on the second IDE channel, IIRC) it prevents that
    butterfly movement. The primary drive heads remain in place, and the
    swapfile drive heads remain in place (relatively speaking, of course).

    > I have a single 80GB drive and was thinking of
    > wiping the 3GB partition used by Dell to put Symantec's restore image
    > on clean.

    Why? Did you buy the backup disks from Dell? If not, you'd best leave that
    partition well enough alone. After all, it's there for emergencies. Hope you
    never have one, but...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Plato Guest

    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)", > wrote:

    > Does it do any good to put the swap file on a separate partition of your
    > hard drive? I have a single 80GB drive and was thinking of wiping the

    No, if you do, it will slow down your pc, assuming you mean a separate
    partition on your only hard drive.

    Put it on a second physical hard drive to speed up your pc.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 28, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    In article <fxQCf.1540$>,
    Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+ <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{> wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Does it do any good to put the swap file on a separate partition of your
    > hard drive? I have a single 80GB drive and was thinking of wiping the
    > 3GB partition used by Dell to put Symantec's restore image on clean. I
    > thought I could wipe it and use it just for the swap file if it would do
    > any good? I am not really sure if the swap file should be on a
    > different hard drive or if just a different partition would do just as good.

    Separate DRIVE can help -- a separate partition will make it WORSE.

    The whole issue is about the amount the read heads travel -- they have
    to move more to get to a different partition. On a separate drive, they
    are entirely working on the swap file, moving independently of the
    other drive's activity.

    I hope someone posts whether being 'slave' to the first drive makes a
    difference; I have forgotten those issues.
    Mitch, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,

    Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will probably
    just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or something
    like that.

    And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to call
    them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I needed them at
    the time, but thought I might one day. They even asked me why I wanted
    them and I said I just wanted them because I felt like I needed them.
    Then they told me I didn't really need them, and it went back and forth
    until I finally convinced them to send me the disks that I bought when I
    purchased the computer. I received the operating system CD, drivers and
    utilities CD, and the application CD, it was a hassle though.

    Alt
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 29, 2006
  7. (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) > wrote:
    > Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,
    >
    > Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will probably
    > just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or something
    > like that.
    >
    > And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to call
    > them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I needed them at
    > the time, but thought I might one day. They even asked me why I wanted
    > them and I said I just wanted them because I felt like I needed them.
    > Then they told me I didn't really need them, and it went back and forth
    > until I finally convinced them to send me the disks that I bought when I
    > purchased the computer. I received the operating system CD, drivers and
    > utilities CD, and the application CD, it was a hassle though.

    Oh yeah, and they were free. What I mean is that they didn't charge me
    for the disks that I purchased when I bought the computer but Dell just
    didn't give to me or any of their customers anymore. You have to call
    up and beg it out of them and then if they deem you worthy to receive
    the disks that you have really already paid for, then you will get them
    mailed to you.

    Alt
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 29, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:B3UCf.7213$,
    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    spewed forth:
    > (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) > wrote:
    >> Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,
    >>
    >> Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will
    >> probably just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or
    >> something like that.
    >>
    >> And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to call
    >> them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I needed them
    >> at the time, but thought I might one day. They even asked me why I
    >> wanted them and I said I just wanted them because I felt like I
    >> needed them. Then they told me I didn't really need them, and it
    >> went back and forth until I finally convinced them to send me the
    >> disks that I bought when I purchased the computer. I received the
    >> operating system CD, drivers and utilities CD, and the application
    >> CD, it was a hassle though.

    > Oh yeah, and they were free. What I mean is that they didn't charge
    > me for the disks that I purchased when I bought the computer but Dell
    > just didn't give to me or any of their customers anymore. You have
    > to call up and beg it out of them and then if they deem you worthy to
    > receive the disks that you have really already paid for, then you
    > will get them mailed to you.
    >
    > Alt

    I strongly agree that the discs are essential. If the drive fails under
    warranty, they'll bring you a new one. But the standard warranty from Dell
    is now only 90 days on some systems (unless the buyer pays for more). After
    the warranty expires, you pay for the new drive - from DELL ONLY if you want
    your OS back. That's a racket. At work, I have the discs, so when we buy a
    new workstation, I don't press the issue. But for an individual, the discs
    are not an option - they are a critical piece of the system.

    Along the same lines, I bought an HP. They no longer ship discs either, at
    least on the models I'm familiar with. The system has a DVD burner on it.
    The system has a disc creator program that makes a system recovery set of
    DVDs or CDs. So I ran that. And made my discs. Since I believe that backups
    are useless if not tested, I dropped a spare HD in the PC and attempted to
    install the system recovery discs. The PC doesn't run correctly. Nice, huh?
    The only serious error is that the system will not return from standby - it
    totally crashes (BSOD). I've spent too much time trying to figure out why.
    So I tried it again - same error. So my backups are not adequate. What now?
    Do I pay HP the $35 or so that they want for their copy of the discs?
    Dunno - I'm still stewing on it. The system is still working correctly with
    the original HD, so it's not critical, but I want my backups to work.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  9. On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:21:01 GMT, "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote:

    >Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,
    >
    >Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will probably
    >just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or something
    >like that.

    I tend to just install the operating system on C: and most of the
    programmes I run are installed on D:, MP3s and other binaries on E:.

    One big advantage is that when I re-install my operating system I
    don't lose any of my programmes or other files.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Jan 29, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, John Morrison
    <the_morrisons@no_email.invalid> wrote:

    > I tend to just install the operating system on C: and most of the
    > programmes I run are installed on D:, MP3s and other binaries on E:.
    >
    > One big advantage is that when I re-install my operating system I
    > don't lose any of my programmes or other files.

    That's a really good tip.
    Anyone know if you can lock or make read-only a set of system
    components that way? I know Windows needs to make changes to system
    files, but is there any trick to locking out changes in a permanent
    way?

    What I have in mind is just any trick that makes cleanup of problem
    files as easy as deleting a partition or volume that the system uses
    for caches and VM, so that reinstalls would never be necessary.
    I thought people used to do that with WinNT4
    Mitch, Jan 29, 2006
  11. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:B3UCf.7213$,
    > "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    > spewed forth:
    >> (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) > wrote:
    >>> Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will
    >>> probably just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or
    >>> something like that.
    >>>
    >>> And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to call
    >>> them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I needed them
    >>> at the time, but thought I might one day. They even asked me why I
    >>> wanted them and I said I just wanted them because I felt like I
    >>> needed them. Then they told me I didn't really need them, and it
    >>> went back and forth until I finally convinced them to send me the
    >>> disks that I bought when I purchased the computer. I received the
    >>> operating system CD, drivers and utilities CD, and the application
    >>> CD, it was a hassle though.

    >> Oh yeah, and they were free. What I mean is that they didn't charge
    >> me for the disks that I purchased when I bought the computer but Dell
    >> just didn't give to me or any of their customers anymore. You have
    >> to call up and beg it out of them and then if they deem you worthy to
    >> receive the disks that you have really already paid for, then you
    >> will get them mailed to you.
    >>
    >> Alt

    > I strongly agree that the discs are essential. If the drive fails under
    > warranty, they'll bring you a new one. But the standard warranty from Dell
    > is now only 90 days on some systems (unless the buyer pays for more). After
    > the warranty expires, you pay for the new drive - from DELL ONLY if you want
    > your OS back. That's a racket. At work, I have the discs, so when we buy a
    > new workstation, I don't press the issue. But for an individual, the discs
    > are not an option - they are a critical piece of the system.

    Whatever happened to the good old days when if you bought a computer,
    you also could take it for granted that you would get the operating
    system CD and all of the related CD's? It is really a shame that now
    many people believe that they simply are not entitled to get them and
    that is just the way it has probably always been. Many first time
    computer buyers simply do not know anything else or know any better.

    > Along the same lines, I bought an HP. They no longer ship discs either, at
    > least on the models I'm familiar with. The system has a DVD burner on it.
    > The system has a disc creator program that makes a system recovery set of
    > DVDs or CDs. So I ran that. And made my discs. Since I believe that backups
    > are useless if not tested, I dropped a spare HD in the PC and attempted to
    > install the system recovery discs. The PC doesn't run correctly. Nice, huh?

    Yeah, I would like to know how many other people have had this same kind
    of experience that you have had.

    > The only serious error is that the system will not return from standby - it
    > totally crashes (BSOD). I've spent too much time trying to figure out why.
    > So I tried it again - same error. So my backups are not adequate. What now?
    > Do I pay HP the $35 or so that they want for their copy of the discs?

    I wouldn't pay them a dime. I would call up and keep calling and keep
    calling and talking to however many different people I needed to talk to
    until I received free replacements. Tell them the disc creator program
    did not work correctly and didn't produce a copy that was functional and
    demand some satisfaction.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 29, 2006
  12. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote

    > "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)" spewed forth:

    >> (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) > wrote:
    >>> Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will
    >>> probably just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files
    >>> or something like that.
    >>>
    >>> And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to
    >>> call them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I
    >>> needed them at the time, but thought I might one day. They even
    >>> asked me why I wanted them and I said I just wanted them because I
    >>> felt like I needed them. Then they told me I didn't really need
    >>> them, and it went back and forth until I finally convinced them to
    >>> send me the disks that I bought when I purchased the computer. I
    >>> received the operating system CD, drivers and utilities CD, and the
    >>> application CD, it was a hassle though.

    >> Oh yeah, and they were free. What I mean is that they didn't charge
    >> me for the disks that I purchased when I bought the computer but
    >> Dell just didn't give to me or any of their customers anymore. You
    >> have to call up and beg it out of them and then if they deem you
    >> worthy to receive the disks that you have really already paid for,
    >> then you will get them mailed to you.
    >>
    >> Alt

    > I strongly agree that the discs are essential. If the drive fails
    > under warranty, they'll bring you a new one. But the standard
    > warranty from Dell is now only 90 days on some systems (unless the
    > buyer pays for more). After the warranty expires, you pay for the new
    > drive - from DELL ONLY if you want your OS back. That's a racket. At
    > work, I have the discs, so when we buy a new workstation, I don't
    > press the issue. But for an individual, the discs are not an option -
    > they are a critical piece of the system.
    >
    > Along the same lines, I bought an HP. They no longer ship discs
    > either, at least on the models I'm familiar with. The system has a
    > DVD burner on it. The system has a disc creator program that makes a
    > system recovery set of DVDs or CDs. So I ran that. And made my discs.
    > Since I believe that backups are useless if not tested, I dropped a
    > spare HD in the PC and attempted to install the system recovery
    > discs. The PC doesn't run correctly. Nice, huh? The only serious
    > error is that the system will not return from standby - it totally
    > crashes (BSOD). I've spent too much time trying to figure out why. So
    > I tried it again - same error. So my backups are not adequate. What
    > now? Do I pay HP the $35 or so that they want for their copy of the
    > discs? Dunno - I'm still stewing on it. The system is still working
    > correctly with the original HD, so it's not critical, but I want my
    > backups to work.

    HP is being sued for this very thing. Call them up and ask them if
    they would like you to sign on to the class action lawsuit being waged
    against them for NOT supplying your operating disk or supplying a disk
    and the disk not having the ValuAdd folder.....;o)

    http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/archives/20050628
    _hp_sued_and_sued_again.phtml

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 29, 2006
  13. Hello everyone,

    I did go ahead and format the backup partition that Symantec puts on
    Dell computers. I now have a "new" partition that is 3GB in size and
    only has about 17 or 18MB used. I selected primary partition as the
    type of partition I wanted after I deleted all the Symantec files off of
    it and used the partition wizard to set it up.

    In the virtual memory settings for the formatted "new" partition the
    check box for "no paging file" is checked. Should I leave it this way
    or what. I am not really sure about that at all.

    For C: drive I have virtual memory set at initial=768 and maximum=1536
    and I have 512MB memory installed.

    thanks,

    Alt
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 30, 2006
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:lzgDf.7802$,
    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    spewed forth:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I did go ahead and format the backup partition that Symantec puts on
    > Dell computers. I now have a "new" partition that is 3GB in size and
    > only has about 17 or 18MB used. I selected primary partition as the
    > type of partition I wanted after I deleted all the Symantec files off
    > of it and used the partition wizard to set it up.
    >
    > In the virtual memory settings for the formatted "new" partition the
    > check box for "no paging file" is checked. Should I leave it this way
    > or what. I am not really sure about that at all.
    >
    > For C: drive I have virtual memory set at initial=768 and maximum=1536
    > and I have 512MB memory installed.

    So just exactly what do you intend to do with that miniscule 3 GB drive?
    It's smaller than a DVD. Too small to use for backups of your data.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2006
  15. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:lzgDf.7802$,
    > "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net
    > spewed forth:
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I did go ahead and format the backup partition that Symantec puts on
    >> Dell computers. I now have a "new" partition that is 3GB in size and
    >> only has about 17 or 18MB used. I selected primary partition as the
    >> type of partition I wanted after I deleted all the Symantec files off
    >> of it and used the partition wizard to set it up.
    >>
    >> In the virtual memory settings for the formatted "new" partition the
    >> check box for "no paging file" is checked. Should I leave it this way
    >> or what. I am not really sure about that at all.
    >>
    >> For C: drive I have virtual memory set at initial=768 and maximum=1536
    >> and I have 512MB memory installed.
    >>

    > So just exactly what do you intend to do with that miniscule 3 GB drive?
    > It's smaller than a DVD. Too small to use for backups of your data.

    Hell, I don't know, I just wanted it to be free. I think I may
    compartmentalize all my word processor documents and put on there, maybe
    the spreadsheets. I don't really know what I will put on there yet.
    Maybe all the .html files. Kind of clean out the clutter off of the
    main drive.

    Should I set up separate virtual memory for it or just leave it with no
    paging file?

    Alt
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 30, 2006
  16. (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) > wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:lzgDf.7802$,
    >> "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{
    >> }}}}.net spewed forth:
    >>> Hello everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I did go ahead and format the backup partition that Symantec puts on
    >>> Dell computers. I now have a "new" partition that is 3GB in size and
    >>> only has about 17 or 18MB used. I selected primary partition as the
    >>> type of partition I wanted after I deleted all the Symantec files off
    >>> of it and used the partition wizard to set it up.
    >>>
    >>> In the virtual memory settings for the formatted "new" partition the
    >>> check box for "no paging file" is checked. Should I leave it this way
    >>> or what. I am not really sure about that at all.
    >>>
    >>> For C: drive I have virtual memory set at initial=768 and maximum=1536
    >>> and I have 512MB memory installed.
    >>>

    >> So just exactly what do you intend to do with that miniscule 3 GB
    >> drive? It's smaller than a DVD. Too small to use for backups of your
    >> data.
    >>

    > Hell, I don't know, I just wanted it to be free. I think I may
    > compartmentalize all my word processor documents and put on there, maybe
    > the spreadsheets. I don't really know what I will put on there yet.
    > Maybe all the .html files. Kind of clean out the clutter off of the
    > main drive.
    >
    > Should I set up separate virtual memory for it or just leave it with no
    > paging file?
    >
    > Alt

    Hey Toolman Tim, thanks anyway, but I found what I guess I need to know.
    Windows XP help states "Don't place multiple pagefiles on different
    partitions on the same physical disk drive." I am interpreting this as
    only one page file no matter how many partitions you have if you only
    have one physical disk drive.

    Alt
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Jan 30, 2006
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=22?= wrote:

    Hello everyone,

    >Does it do any good to put the swap file on a separate partition of your
    >hard drive? I have a single 80GB drive and was thinking of wiping the
    >3GB partition used by Dell to put Symantec's restore image on clean. I
    >thought I could wipe it and use it just for the swap file if it would do
    >any good? I am not really sure if the swap file should be on a
    >different hard drive or if just a different partition would do just as good.
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alt

    Do you think its likely that it would do?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  18. Re: Re: Page File + Separate Partition

    In news:fxQCf.1540$,

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  19. Re: Re: Page File + Separate Partition

    Plato wrote:

    >No, if you do, it will slow down your pc, assuming you mean a separate
    >partition on your only hard drive.
    >
    >Put it on a second physical hard drive to speed up your pc.

    Do you think its likely that me do?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Re: Re: Page File + Separate Partition

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=22?= wrote:

    Gordon, Toolman Tim, Plato, Mitch,

    >Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it as is, I will probably
    >just free up the extra 3GB and use it for personal files or something
    >like that.
    >
    >And Toolman Tim, I do have the backup disks from Dell. I had to call
    >them and literally beg for them one time. Not because I needed them at
    >the time, but thought I might one day. They even asked me why I wanted
    >them and I said I just wanted them because I felt like I needed them.
    >Then they told me I didn't really need them, and it went back and forth
    >until I finally convinced them to send me the disks that I bought when I
    >purchased the computer. I received the operating system CD, drivers and
    >utilities CD, and the application CD, it was a hassle though.
    >
    >Alt

    What do you think machines have to do with your problem?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006