    to be the QuickTime player in either case.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Dec 4, 2008

  2. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> This page contains a Christmas Carol as an MP3 that plays
    >> automatically
    >> when I open the page in IE 7, but when I go there in Chrome, it just
    >> sits there. Here's the URL:
    >>
    >> http://www.pooretom.com/coventrycarolmp3.html

    > You can check that page for html structural errors here
    > http://validator.w3.org/ This validator checks the markup validity of
    > Web
    > documents
    >
    >> I got creative, opened the View Source window in IE, searched for
    >> MP3,
    >> found "Resources/Coventry.mp3", and manually created this URL:
    >>
    >> http://www.pooretom.com/Resources/Coventry.mp3
    >>
    >> Which, in Chrome, plays the music just fine - is anyone aware of a
    >> setting in Chrome to alter this behavior?

    > You can tell the chrome developers like this
    > http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/topic.py?topic=14658&tab=Report
    > Report a bug or broken website.
    >
    >> Windows/XP/Pro/SP3 w/ all the latest patches, and the player I get
    >> seems
    >> to be the QuickTime player in either case.

    > Then you are rigged to use QR for mp3.
    >
    > Some browsers like IE take pride in handling b0rken webpages -- while
    > the
    > philosphy of many is that too many webpages are noncompliant.
    >
    > That was the strategy that MS used to defeat Netscape's browser.

    Thank you.

    Unfortunately, the link you gave to validate the code is "Greek to me."
    It reports quite a number of errors, but so do a number of other pages
    that I tried, and those pages all display just fine. In other words, I
    am not technically sophisticated enough about html to be able to say
    anything specific to the author of the web page. If you or anyone else
    can shed specific light on the piece of code that is offending, I will
    be glad to pass this along to the person that owns this web site.

    Thanks.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Dec 4, 2008

  3. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:58:26 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >This page contains a Christmas Carol as an MP3 that plays automatically
    >when I open the page in IE 7, but when I go there in Chrome, it just
    >sits there. Here's the URL:
    >
    >http://www.pooretom.com/coventrycarolmp3.html

    Browsers handle object / embed in different ways. Some of the validation
    errors are saying the basic document structure is faulty. Some browsers
    automatically try to correct for this others often work as well.

    However having a line at the top such as
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    which is saying this document meets a structural guideline and then has
    11 errors isn't too smart, some of which are the basic head and body.

    >I got creative, opened the View Source window in IE, searched for MP3,
    >found "Resources/Coventry.mp3", and manually created this URL:
    >
    >http://www.pooretom.com/Resources/Coventry.mp3

    Becasue chrome is playing the file in a default player directly, instead
    of not understanding the embed link.

    It's no surprise, embed isn't in HTML 4 (the doctype above), it's
    reintroduced in HTML 5,

    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/embeddedobjects/_EMBED.html
    Usage Recommendation
    use it, but don't rely on it

    <EMBED ...> is not a part of the HTML 4 or xHTML 1 specifications, but
    it is still widely supported by modern browsers. Unlike other tags, the
    attributes used by <EMBED ...> depend on the type of plugin being used
    (this odd free-attribute concept is why <EMBED ...> has been rejected by
    the HTML standards makers).

    So instead it should be more like this example, object and embed -

    http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp
    <object width="550" height="400">
    <param name="movie" value="somefilename.swf">
    <embed src="somefilename.swf" width="550" height="400">
    </embed>
    </object>

    Note: In the code above there is both an <embed> tag and an <object>
    tag. This is because the <object> tag is recognized by Internet
    Explorer, and Netscape recognizes the <embed> tag and ignores the
    <object> tag.

    >Which, in Chrome, plays the music just fine - is anyone aware of a
    >setting in Chrome to alter this behavior?

    A setting for opening the file a different way isn't your problem.

    One of the errors is directly related to how the code is trying to open
    the mp3.

    Error Line 96, Column 28: there is no attribute "SRC" .

    This is saying the embed command does not have a src associated with it.
    It does but not in HTML 4.

    >Windows/XP/Pro/SP3 w/ all the latest patches, and the player I get seems
    >to be the QuickTime player in either case.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Me
    why?, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Steve Freides

    Respondant Guest

    why? wrote:

    <snip HTML lesson>

    Given that Chrome is still in Beta, and it's home page
    http://www.google.com/chrome has 19 errors and 5 warnings according to the
    validator, I don't think the developers care all that much about the W3C.

    They'ld probably appreciate it if the OP submitted a bug report though.
    Respondant, Dec 4, 2008
  5. "Respondant" <> wrote in message
    > why? wrote:
    >
    > <snip HTML lesson>
    >
    > Given that Chrome is still in Beta, and it's home page
    > http://www.google.com/chrome has 19 errors and 5 warnings according
    > to the validator, I don't think the developers care all that much
    > about the W3C.
    >
    > They'ld probably appreciate it if the OP submitted a bug report
    > though.

    As mentioned in another reply, I did, and I do on a regular basis when I
    find problems - which is quite infrequently, but embedded music (I am a
    musician so I do come across perhaps more than most people) seems to be
    a problem.

    My suspicion is that any browser attempting to wrest market share away
    from Microsoft (an idea I support enthusiastically) ought to be able to
    handle pages like this one in the same way as IE. I have seen computer
    products in similar positions (that of challenger) have a switch that
    causes their product to do some things the same way as the main player
    and then leave the choice of behavior up to the end user. That would
    work for me in this situation.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Dec 4, 2008
  6. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:18:04 -0500, Respondant wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >
    ><snip HTML lesson>
    >
    >Given that Chrome is still in Beta, and it's home page

    Haven't tried it, may set up a new VM for it.

    >http://www.google.com/chrome has 19 errors and 5 warnings according to the
    >validator, I don't think the developers care all that much about the W3C.

    I don't think Google cares much about validation on thier pages. What a
    browser understands and can render is more important.

    >They'ld probably appreciate it if the OP submitted a bug report though.

    They should, as was suggested earlier.

    Me
    why?, Dec 5, 2008
  7. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:46:11 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >"Respondant" <> wrote in message
    >> why? wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip HTML lesson>
    >>
    >> Given that Chrome is still in Beta, and it's home page
    >> http://www.google.com/chrome has 19 errors and 5 warnings according
    >> to the validator, I don't think the developers care all that much
    >> about the W3C.
    >>
    >> They'ld probably appreciate it if the OP submitted a bug report
    >> though.

    >As mentioned in another reply, I did, and I do on a regular basis when I
    >find problems - which is quite infrequently, but embedded music (I am a
    >musician so I do come across perhaps more than most people) seems to be
    >a problem.
    >
    >My suspicion is that any browser attempting to wrest market share away
    >from Microsoft (an idea I support enthusiastically) ought to be able to
    >handle pages like this one in the same way as IE. I have seen computer

    See that's where you are thinking in the wrong direction. All browsers
    have issues. IE has some really annoying features and it went off in
    another a direction with lots of IE specific things.

    Having another browser more like IE isn't the answer, lazy coding /
    authors are the real problem.

    >products in similar positions (that of challenger) have a switch that
    >causes their product to do some things the same way as the main player

    IE does that, it has a well known switch for quirks mode and a more
    standard mode.

    >and then leave the choice of behavior up to the end user. That would
    >work for me in this situation.

    You mean web page author, catering for differing browsers / standards.
    The w3c validation works up to a point as a tool. Not being able to code
    pages correctly is something else all together.

    Me
    why?, Dec 5, 2008