    Firefox, but it doesn't help. My sense is that it is probably some
    screwed-up DLL in the back end of Windows, but wouldn't know where to start
    looking. Anybody have any ideas?

    Tony Calguire, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Re: Page displays differently on different computers... what's goingon?

    Tony Calguire wrote:
    > I have three computers running Firefox 2.0.0.6... a Vista laptop, and two
    > similarly-configured Gigahertz Athlons running Windows 98. I have a 2Wire
    > DSL modem with a browser-based configuration page.
    >
    > On two of my computers-- the Vista laptop, and one of the Win98 machines,
    > the modem config pages display just fine. But on the other Win98 machine,
    > the modem configuartion pages display graphics improperly, and sometimes
    > the pages hang while loading. The error console spits out the following:
    >
    > Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
    > Source File: http://192.168.0.1/css/main.css
    > Line: 251
    >
    > Sometimes, there are also error messages about illegal characters in .js
    > files, but I can't seem to replicate those errors right now.
    >
    > Anybody know what this might be? I have tried uninstalling and reinstaling
    > Firefox, but it doesn't help. My sense is that it is probably some
    > screwed-up DLL in the back end of Windows, but wouldn't know where to start
    > looking. Anybody have any ideas?

    how about posting the website so someone can see whats going
    on and make suggestions?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote in

    > how about posting the website so someone can see whats going
    > on and make suggestions?

    The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
    http://192.168.0.1.

    Tony Calguire, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Tony Calguire

    Old Enough Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
    <> wrote:

    >The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
    >http://192.168.0.1.

    A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
    web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
    router.

    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Old Enough <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
    >>http://192.168.0.1.

    > A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
    > web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
    > router.

    For all intents and purposes, yes. The DSL modem or router has a web
    server on board, and your web browser fetches pages from that web server
    like it would fetch pages from any web site.

    In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
    router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
    fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.

    I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
    about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
    sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
    what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
    in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

    Tony Calguire, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Re: Page displays differently on different computers... what's goingon?

    Tony Calguire wrote:
    > Old Enough <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0000, Tony Calguire
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The website is the configuration page of my 2Wire 2700HG-D DSL modem, at
    >>> http://192.168.0.1.

    >> A question out of my ignorance: Is the modem configuration page a
    >> web site? I use the same address (192.168.0.1) to configure my D-Link
    >> router.
    >>

    > For all intents and purposes, yes. The DSL modem or router has a web
    > server on board, and your web browser fetches pages from that web server
    > like it would fetch pages from any web site.
    >
    > In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
    > router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
    > fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.
    >
    > I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
    > about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
    > sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
    > what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
    > in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

    forget uninstalling and reinstalling. Thats not your
    problem. Its lying with your router. But if you still want
    to, you also have to remove the profile. To find your
    profile, you need to see this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    and if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    you might want to try asking in one of the microsoft
    newsgroups:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

    or try and find a newsgroup/forum for your router/dsl modem

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Tony Calguire

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:35:18 -0000, Tony Calguire wrote:

    > I have three computers running Firefox 2.0.0.6... a Vista laptop, and two
    > similarly-configured Gigahertz Athlons running Windows 98. I have a 2Wire
    > DSL modem with a browser-based configuration page.
    >
    > On two of my computers-- the Vista laptop, and one of the Win98 machines,
    > the modem config pages display just fine. But on the other Win98 machine,
    > the modem configuartion pages display graphics improperly, and sometimes
    > the pages hang while loading. The error console spits out the following:
    >
    > Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
    > Source File: http://192.168.0.1/css/main.css
    > Line: 251

    The error console isn't for users, and as a user you can't really do
    anything about the web interface of your modem/router.

    Do you have any Firefox extensions or security type of software
    installed that could be blocking images, ads, sites, apps, etc.?

    Are you able to ping 192.168.0.1 when the Firefox hangs trying to load
    the modem's web page?

    If haven't already try clearing the cache and cookies.

    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong>
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Tony Calguire

    Rom Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:11:35 -0000, Tony Calguire wrote:

    > In my particular situation, I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the
    > router's OS or web server, because these configuration pages display just
    > fine, without any error messages, on my other two computers.
    >
    > I'd like to throw out another question for the experts... I'm thinking
    > about uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox again, but I'd like to make
    > sure I get a completely clean reinstall. After using Firefox's uninstall,
    > what other files, directories, and registry entries do I have to wipe out
    > in order to ensure that Firefox won't be using old files?

    You could delete the profile before reinstalling, or create a new
    profile and see how that is in comparison.
    <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Aug 17, 2007
  9. Re: Page displays differently on different computers... what's goingon?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > To find your
    > profile, you need to see this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    ooops, that should be:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 17, 2007
  10. Rom <> wrote in

    > If haven't already try clearing the cache and cookies.
    >
    > <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong>
    > <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites>

    Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. After digging around a little, I
    uncovered the problem...

    One one of my Firefox computers, but not the other two, I had messed with
    the configuration and changed network.http.pipelining to "true". By
    resetting this to the default value "false", the router's config web page
    now loads and looks normal.

    Tony Calguire, Aug 17, 2007