Page caching still frequently hits the 'Net

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 on XP and Vista, but this is not particular to this
    version, it's always been this way.

    Opera tends to have very good page caching. Basically, I can go "forward"
    and "back" among sites, and if I've already visited the site then the
    Internet is never touched (note that I use
    "opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode" set to '3' to ensure this).

    I think it's even using disk cache for this, not RAM, but it's still
    instant.

    In FF, however, I find that often a connection is re-established, if
    briefly. I've verified this by feel, by my modem lights (cable), by DU
    Meter, and by Tcpview.

    As I understand it, "browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers" controls
    this. By default it's set to -1, which determines the number of pages to
    cache from the amount of available physical memory, with the maximum number
    of pages with this setting being 8.

    I've tried it on -1 and I've tried specifying a particular number, like 8,
    because I realize that Windows often leaves very little free memory due to
    its own caching, even with 2GB.

    But nothing seems to make a difference, as I can't get the back/forward
    movement to always stay local, even when I've just run FF and am testing on
    a single site.

    Is this expected?

    Thanks
    Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Milhouse Van Houten

    Quivis Guest

    On 01 aug 2007, Milhouse Van Houten<>, had the
    following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    > But nothing seems to make a difference, as I can't get the
    > back/forward movement to always stay local, even when I've just
    > run FF and am testing on a single site.
    >
    > Is this expected?

    I can only offer my own guesswork, since I haven't done any such
    testing myself. But consider this, when you use google's cached sites
    feature, it, too, seems to try to connect to the original site, if
    it's available, to see if there is data that can be used. My guess
    is, that Fx does the same.

    I'd say yes, it's expected. But this is without knowing.

    You could also try the command "Work offline" under the "File" menu.
    I don't know what this does, since I've never used it, and I have it
    hidden, as well.

    Or, you could try over at one of the mozilla sites for more info.

    HTH
    --
    Quivis
    Quivis, Aug 3, 2007

  3. "Quivis" <> wrote in message
    > On 01 aug 2007, Milhouse Van Houten<>, had the
    > following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
    >
    >> But nothing seems to make a difference, as I can't get the
    >> back/forward movement to always stay local, even when I've just
    >> run FF and am testing on a single site.
    >>
    >> Is this expected?

    > I can only offer my own guesswork, since I haven't done any such
    > testing myself. But consider this, when you use google's cached sites
    > feature, it, too, seems to try to connect to the original site, if
    > it's available, to see if there is data that can be used. My guess
    > is, that Fx does the same.
    >
    > I'd say yes, it's expected. But this is without knowing.
    >
    > You could also try the command "Work offline" under the "File" menu.
    > I don't know what this does, since I've never used it, and I have it
    > hidden, as well.

    I think what you're saying is correct, since I used your idea of switching
    it offline and ran some tests. With it offline, never once did it prompt me
    to go online; it simply brought up the pages. Yet with it online, often it
    still wants to hit the site.

    So your idea of it checking to see if there are any updates (or the like)
    seems to be the case. I wish it wouldn't do that, however, and I wonder if
    there's a setting to change it.

    Whether it's set offline or online, I always get the status bar doing a
    "Read" on something and a status indicator on the right-hand side, and
    consequently already-visited pages take about a second each to come up,
    which is annoying if you're cycling through several of them.

    My basis for comparison is Opera, where in the same situation it's
    essentially instantaneous. Of course, bringing up live pages in FF is much
    faster (no matter what Opera proponents say), it's just revisiting them that
    isn't.
    Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 4, 2007
  4. Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
    > "Quivis" <> wrote in message
    >> On 01 aug 2007, Milhouse Van Houten<>, had the
    >> following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
    >>
    >>> But nothing seems to make a difference, as I can't get the
    >>> back/forward movement to always stay local, even when I've just
    >>> run FF and am testing on a single site.
    >>>
    >>> Is this expected?

    >> I can only offer my own guesswork, since I haven't done any such
    >> testing myself. But consider this, when you use google's cached sites
    >> feature, it, too, seems to try to connect to the original site, if
    >> it's available, to see if there is data that can be used. My guess
    >> is, that Fx does the same.
    >>
    >> I'd say yes, it's expected. But this is without knowing.
    >>
    >> You could also try the command "Work offline" under the "File" menu.
    >> I don't know what this does, since I've never used it, and I have it
    >> hidden, as well.

    > I think what you're saying is correct, since I used your idea of switching
    > it offline and ran some tests. With it offline, never once did it prompt me
    > to go online; it simply brought up the pages. Yet with it online, often it
    > still wants to hit the site.
    >
    > So your idea of it checking to see if there are any updates (or the like)
    > seems to be the case. I wish it wouldn't do that, however, and I wonder if
    > there's a setting to change it.
    >
    > Whether it's set offline or online, I always get the status bar doing a
    > "Read" on something and a status indicator on the right-hand side, and
    > consequently already-visited pages take about a second each to come up,
    > which is annoying if you're cycling through several of them.
    >
    > My basis for comparison is Opera, where in the same situation it's
    > essentially instantaneous. Of course, bringing up live pages in FF is much
    > faster (no matter what Opera proponents say), it's just revisiting them that
    > isn't.

    in the address bar type in about:config and look for this entry:

    browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

    this setting compares the page in the cache to the page on
    the network. Double click on it and change it to one of
    these settings:

    0 = once per session
    1 = everytime I view the page
    2 = never
    3 = when the page is out of date

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 4, 2007
  5. "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:f91203$r03$...
    > Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
    >> "Quivis" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 01 aug 2007, Milhouse Van Houten<>, had the
    >>> following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    >>> I can only offer my own guesswork, since I haven't done any such
    >>> testing myself. But consider this, when you use google's cached sites
    >>> feature, it, too, seems to try to connect to the original site, if
    >>> it's available, to see if there is data that can be used. My guess
    >>> is, that Fx does the same.
    >>>
    >>> I'd say yes, it's expected. But this is without knowing.
    >>>
    >>> You could also try the command "Work offline" under the "File" menu.
    >>> I don't know what this does, since I've never used it, and I have it
    >>> hidden, as well.

    >> I think what you're saying is correct, since I used your idea of
    >> switching it offline and ran some tests. With it offline, never once did
    >> it prompt me to go online; it simply brought up the pages. Yet with it
    >> online, often it still wants to hit the site.
    >>
    >> So your idea of it checking to see if there are any updates (or the like)
    >> seems to be the case. I wish it wouldn't do that, however, and I wonder
    >> if there's a setting to change it.
    >>
    >> Whether it's set offline or online, I always get the status bar doing a
    >> "Read" on something and a status indicator on the right-hand side, and
    >> consequently already-visited pages take about a second each to come up,
    >> which is annoying if you're cycling through several of them.
    >>
    >> My basis for comparison is Opera, where in the same situation it's
    >> essentially instantaneous. Of course, bringing up live pages in FF is
    >> much faster (no matter what Opera proponents say), it's just revisiting
    >> them that isn't.

    > in the address bar type in about:config and look for this entry:
    >
    > browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
    >
    > this setting compares the page in the cache to the page on the network.
    > Double click on it and change it to one of these settings:
    >
    > 0 = once per session
    > 1 = everytime I view the page
    > 2 = never
    > 3 = when the page is out of date

    It was on 3, so as an experiment I set it on 2 (not that that's a practical
    setting to use, since pages are never updated), and I saw the same thing.
    Activity on the status bar and a simultaneous hourglass cursor when moving
    backwards and forwards among already-visited pages.
    Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 4, 2007