    It is possilble using the router extended ping command to genrate traffic equivalent to 1Mbps, say in use of testing a policy map or something.
    I am interested in if it is possbile to determine a exact amount from the router,

    tx

    R Siffredi, Apr 18, 2005

  2. R Siffredi

    Brad Guest

    R Siffredi wrote:
    > It is possilble using the router extended ping command to genrate

    traffic equivalent to 1Mbps, say in use of testing a policy map or
    something.
    > I am interested in if it is possbile to determine a exact amount from

    the router,

    > tx

    Use it and then see what the load on the interface was with the show
    interface command.

    Brad, Apr 19, 2005

  3. R Siffredi

    Guest

    You can control the amount of traffic generated by
    varying the "Datagram size". There are limits to the amount
    of control that you have since there is a minimum size to the
    packet and since the router waits to receive one ping before
    sending another, on a duplex medium you are limited to
    about 50% of the bandwidth. This will be further reduced is the
    path round trip time is not small.

    You can get higher traffic levels by running more than one ping
    simultaneously in different vty sessions.

    Clearly there are limits to the amount of traffic that can be generated
    depending on the router CPU.

    There are commercial tools that will accomplish wat you want.
    Smartbits.

    , Apr 19, 2005
  4. You might want to take a look at IP Load
    (http://www.bttsoftware.co.uk/ipload.html). It's freeware that does a
    great job at generating test traffic. I use it regularly to test CoS
    profiles and verify IP call audio quality.

    Cheers,
    Spencer Teran

    Spencer Teran, Apr 19, 2005
  5. R Siffredi