packet capture

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Barry OGrady, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:27:00 +1000, "somonenotknown" <> wrote:

    >if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download usage??

    yes

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Barry OGrady

    jeroen Guest

    In article <3f5f368b$0$2484$>, mpn_64
    @hotmail.com says...
    > if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download usage??

    yes, and it may very well get that person's account cancelled if the ISP
    finds out.
    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    jeroen, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Barry OGrady

    Aradur Guest

    yes

    Aradur, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Barry OGrady

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:27:00 +1000, somonenotknown wrote:

    >if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download usage??

    Shouldn't be, on broadband the connection is normally bridged and a
    capture will see only broadcast traffic like ARPs / DHCP requests.

    Of course your ISP may not like it, don't know how they would tell,
    after all my firewall , records packet dumps of suspected hack attempts.
    That capture runs inside my router and the ISP can't see the PC.

    I did set up a capture at the incoming router port, but as that's inside
    the cablemodem (my side, where a PC would normally be anyway) it's what
    I see without doing anything.

    You are not broadcasting anything but only seeing the general chatter,
    you won't see other users data directed point-2-point stuff.

    It may cause you to lose your account.

    One thing that *will* get your account terminated , will be the opposite
    of a capture and running an active scan instead.

    Me
    why?, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Barry OGrady

    Boomer Guest

    somonenotknown said:

    > if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download
    > usage??

    Hello

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    You are posting from the future.

    For Windows :
    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system
    tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
    ZONE.
    Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    ~Further information at the site below.~
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You Very Much :)

    P.S. It does not matter if you are living on the far side of the
    moon.
    Your computer clock/date/time zone is incorrect.
    Boomer, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Barry OGrady

    Richard Guest

    somonenotknown wrote:>>

    > if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download usage??

    If you can post in the future so well, how come you can't locate your own
    post when needed?
    If you want help here, do not post in the future.
    Richard, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Barry OGrady

    Richard Guest

    Boomer wrote:>>

    > somonenotknown said:

    >> if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download
    >> usage??
    >>

    > Hello

    > Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    > You are posting from the future.

    Problem is, these idiots already know how to adjust the time settings.
    That's why they post in the future.
    Because they're to damn lazy to look up their own posts.

    Richard, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Barry OGrady

    Soup Guest

    somonenotknown wrote:
    > if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download
    > usage??

    What boomer said.

    --
    yours S (addy' not usable[not that you would try it anyway])
    Illegitimi non carborundrum
    Soup, Sep 10, 2003
  9. if someone runs a packet catcher is it counted to their download usage??
    somonenotknown, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Barry OGrady

    Kraftee Guest

    somonenotknown wrote:
    > my clock is stuffed for some reason it keep resetting its self.
    > and richard how bout u STFU

    How about getting a new battery (they're not expensive).....
    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Sep 11, 2003
  11. my clock is stuffed for some reason it keep resetting its self.
    and richard how bout u STFU

    somonenotknown, Sep 12, 2003