    get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing the
    disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    Any Ideas anyone??
    Sad Old Git, Jan 15, 2007

  2. Sad Old Git

    the paddle Guest

    Sad Old Git wrote:
    > I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you can
    > get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing the
    > disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    Hi

    Try F5, Del, or Ctrl, if not, try the F keys in turn.

    HTH

    post back which key it is

    paddle
    the paddle, Jan 15, 2007

  3. Sad Old Git

    user Guest

    "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    I too had a Packard Bell Easynote and after a while, I also became a "Sad
    Old Git"!
    No, seriously, I had it for 2 years and the only problem I had with it was
    the Battery which was useless, just wouldn't hold a charge and I ended up,
    just using the machine whilst connected to mains power!
    user, Jan 15, 2007
  4. "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    Is it XP?
    If so, repeatedly and gently *tapping* F8 during boot should bring up
    options that include safe mode.
    Mentally Above-Normal, Jan 15, 2007
  5. Sad Old Git

    Just Me Guest

    I once had this same problem.

    Just Me, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Sad Old Git

    Just Me Guest

    I once had this same problem.

    Just Me, Jan 15, 2007
  7. Sad Old Git

    user Guest

    "Just Me" <> wrote in message
    >I once had this same problem.

    You must have had it twice!

    user, Jan 15, 2007
  8. Sad Old Git

    philo Guest

    "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you

    can
    > get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing the
    > disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    Wait until *after* the bios messages
    but just *before* the OS loads F8 should work

    philo, Jan 15, 2007
  9. Sad Old Git

    Just Me Guest

    For some reason, my newsgroup messages are either not posting or posting
    after several minutes.

    Just Me, Jan 16, 2007
  10. Sad Old Git

    Name Guest

    "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    Try holding the shift key down during boot.

    Good luck!
    Name, Jan 16, 2007
  11. Sad Old Git

    Tristan Goe Guest

    "Mentally Above-Normal" <> wrote in message

    > "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >>can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >>the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    >> Any Ideas anyone??
    >>

    > Is it XP?
    > If so, repeatedly and gently *tapping* F8 during boot should bring up
    > options that include safe mode.

    Sorry, yes it is xp sp2 only 4 months old!
    F8 doesnt work at all, no matter how gently I tap it, pressing shift does
    bugger all either!
    I would like to add that there is nothing *wrong* with the machine, i just
    may need it one day, but in all my experience, I never had one with no safe
    mode!!
    Tristan Goe, Jan 16, 2007
  12. "Tristan Goe" <> wrote in message

    > "Mentally Above-Normal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >>>can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >>>the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    >>> Any Ideas anyone??
    >>>

    >> Is it XP?
    >> If so, repeatedly and gently *tapping* F8 during boot should bring up
    >> options that include safe mode.
    >>

    > Sorry, yes it is xp sp2 only 4 months old!
    > F8 doesnt work at all, no matter how gently I tap it, pressing shift does
    > bugger all either!
    > I would like to add that there is nothing *wrong* with the machine, i just
    > may need it one day, but in all my experience, I never had one with no
    > safe mode!!

    Safe Mode is a Windows option, not relevent to laptop brand:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

    The only method of loading XP Safe Mode is to tap F8
    I suggest you try Packard Bell support, your phrase of
    "bugger all" indicates you to be a Brit, so this is the
    UK support site:
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/
    Mentally Above-Normal, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Sad Old Git

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Mentally Above-Normal wrote:
    > "Tristan Goe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mentally Above-Normal" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Is it XP?
    >>> If so, repeatedly and gently *tapping* F8 during boot should bring
    >>> up options that include safe mode.
    >>>

    >> Sorry, yes it is xp sp2 only 4 months old!
    >> F8 doesnt work at all, no matter how gently I tap it, pressing shift
    >> does bugger all either!
    >> I would like to add that there is nothing *wrong* with the machine,
    >> i just may need it one day, but in all my experience, I never had
    >> one with no safe mode!!
    >>

    > Safe Mode is a Windows option, not relevent to laptop brand:
    >
    > The only method of loading XP Safe Mode is to tap F8

    Not exactly. It's possible to run msconfig and select the safe mode option,
    then reboot. Although, obviously, this doesn't exactly apply to the OP's
    original purpose of the question.

    The most frequent issue I've had with users unable to get into safe mode
    with the F8 key, is they wait too long before they start, or start too soon.
    Too long, it just gets missed. Too soon, the keyboard returns an error to
    POST, and subsequent pressing of keys is possibly ignored.

    On systems with splash screens during POST, it's very hard to know when to
    start. So perhaps the OP could get into the BIOS and see if there is an
    option to disable the splash screen ("quiet mode"?) which would then let
    them see when the memory test is done and drives are identified - that's
    when I have the best luck banging away (gently, of course) at that blasted
    key.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 16, 2007
  14. Sad Old Git

    roach Guest

    "Sad Old Git" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Packard Bell laptop (Easynote SW51) and I was wondering how you
    >can get into safe mode? Pressing F8 only brings up the boot menu, listing
    >the disc drives to boot from, but no safe mode.
    > Any Ideas anyone??

    when boot menu appears press whatever key you need to exit this menu then
    immediatly press f8 again you will only get half a second to do this before
    windows starts

    this will work i promise you

    roach

    roach, Jan 17, 2007
  15. Sad Old Git

    Madavha

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    Messages:
    1

    I’m cleaning my father’s pc for the "system tool" virus and when I used the regular F8 to get the operative system choices so I could start it in safe mode I only got the boot options.

    So I tested the F5 button at start-up then I got the option to choose operative system and the message “if I want an advanced alternative puch F8”. So I used the F8 button and then I got all the operative system Safe Mode start-up choices and the rest of them.

    The operative system on my fathers Packard Bell is Vista.
    Madavha, Dec 29, 2010
  16. Sad Old Git

    Pavol

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    lol.

    LOL - at pressing any key on the keyboard "Gently" - it is an on/off toggle.

    To boot to safe mode on the Packard Bell with the F8 to go to boot device is as the chap says above.

    You Press F8 - Select to boot from your hard disk - As soon as you press Enter to select this; start pressing F8 and it will go to the safe mode menu as normal.

    Pavol.
    Pavol, Jan 6, 2011