Packard Bell Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Adam, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hiya,

    I'm in the UK, and at work there's an out-of-warranty PACKARD BELL
    iMedia machine which originally came with Windows ME. Recently this
    machine crashed in a spectacularly big way, forcing a complete
    re-format job; subsequently it's had Windows 98SE installed.

    Our problem is the guy who reformatted it didn't make a hardware
    drivers-list before the machine was flattened, and there are no
    manuals or documentation extant, so we're now searching for drivers
    for the thing (video card/sound card/network card - anything else?)
    without knowing what we're really looking for - can anybody help?

    About the machine:

    1. No obvious "the model number of this machine is....", however a
    prominent sticker on the rear of the case states: "Refurbished Product
    authorized but not warranted by PACKARD BELL NEC May contain used
    parts.

    2. the sticker has a small bar-code with the barely-readable number
    PA99045248 underneath.

    3. Underneath the case is another sticker saying "ALLEGRA" with the
    numbers 6838080000 and ADAL129008181.

    4. "iMedia" embossed into the sides of the tower case. The case is
    2-tone light grey and dark grey.

    3. includes both DVD and CD-RW. (monitor, mouse & keyboard are all
    replacements)

    Thanks VERY MUCH in advance.

    P.S. I have already tried the PB downloads site, which was sod-all
    help as all their drivers bar one are for WinXP - the only one that
    wasn't wouldn't download, instead giving me an error-message when I
    clicked on the link before ultimately crashing Explorer - PAH!!

    Adam, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Adam

    °Mike° Guest

    Try Aida32
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:03:39 +0100, in
    <>
    Adam scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003

  3. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:03:39 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    > Hiya,
    >
    > I'm in the UK, and at work there's an out-of-warranty PACKARD BELL
    > iMedia machine which originally came with Windows ME. Recently this
    > machine crashed in a spectacularly big way, forcing a complete
    > re-format job; subsequently it's had Windows 98SE installed.
    >
    > Our problem is the guy who reformatted it didn't make a hardware
    > drivers-list before the machine was flattened, and there are no
    > manuals or documentation extant, so we're now searching for drivers
    > for the thing (video card/sound card/network card - anything else?)
    > without knowing what we're really looking for - can anybody help?

    If it's a Packard Bell (NEC) you'll have to open it up and check out the
    motherboard type. Download the drivers you need from the motherboard
    manufacturers website. PB was petty good at throwing anything into a box
    and calling it a computer.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Adam

    SayI Guest

    Get another computer. Packard Bell has to be the worst computer out there!

    SayI, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Adam

    DaveJ Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I'm in the UK, and at work there's an out-of-warranty PACKARD BELL
    > iMedia machine which originally came with Windows ME. Recently this
    > machine crashed in a spectacularly big way, forcing a complete
    > re-format job; subsequently it's had Windows 98SE installed.
    >
    > Our problem is the guy who reformatted it didn't make a hardware
    > drivers-list before the machine was flattened, and there are no
    > manuals or documentation extant, so we're now searching for drivers
    > for the thing (video card/sound card/network card - anything else?)
    > without knowing what we're really looking for - can anybody help?
    >
    > About the machine:
    >
    > 1. No obvious "the model number of this machine is....", however a
    > prominent sticker on the rear of the case states: "Refurbished Product
    > authorized but not warranted by PACKARD BELL NEC May contain used
    > parts.
    >
    > 2. the sticker has a small bar-code with the barely-readable number
    > PA99045248 underneath.
    >
    > 3. Underneath the case is another sticker saying "ALLEGRA" with the
    > numbers 6838080000 and ADAL129008181.
    >
    > 4. "iMedia" embossed into the sides of the tower case. The case is
    > 2-tone light grey and dark grey.
    >
    > 3. includes both DVD and CD-RW. (monitor, mouse & keyboard are all
    > replacements)
    >
    > Thanks VERY MUCH in advance.
    >
    > P.S. I have already tried the PB downloads site, which was sod-all
    > help as all their drivers bar one are for WinXP - the only one that
    > wasn't wouldn't download, instead giving me an error-message when I
    > clicked on the link before ultimately crashing Explorer - PAH!!

    You could try PC World or Dixons, they've been flogging them for years.
    Alternative is to try a later version of Windows - 2000 and XP can
    auto-detect quite a lot of hardware (some of which may post-date 98SE).
    Alternative alternative - most Linux implementations are better at detecting
    hardware - if you have plenty of time, you could install one of these
    (mainly available free on PC magazine cover-disks) and make a note of the
    hardware, then pick up relevent drivers before re-installing Windows.

    regards,
    DaveJ.

    DaveJ, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Adam

    Gleninodor Guest

    I used to work for PC Service call, if you have your serial number
    ready they can give you info from the BOM (Bill of Material). Phone
    08709013000, and if you're lucky wanna of the nicer call agents might
    humor your non warranty call and give you the info, providing you're
    quick! 0870901300 - worst comes to worst phone £1 / minute, should
    take no longer than 5 mins!

    Gleninodor, Sep 29, 2003