  1. grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 4, 2005

  2. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

    shannon, Apr 4, 2005

  3. On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    > Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

    ew.. australian!
    I just this minute had used the cached page on google..
    but er.. what I was fishing for was, is there a way to view package lists
    with out the webpage?
    ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
    about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
    the packages correct name

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005
  4. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    > and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    > (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?

    apt-cache search <something>

    or apt-show-versions?

    apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    > Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

    Sorry, that directs back to packages.debian.org
    If you are running debian already, just use aptitude.

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  6. On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > >
    >> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)
    > >

    > What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
    >
    > apt-cache search <something>

    thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
    apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

    > or apt-show-versions?

    command not found

    > apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thanks

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005
  7. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:19 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
    > about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
    > the packages correct name

    Synaptic?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 5, 2005
  8. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:19 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    >> Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

    > ew.. australian!
    > I just this minute had used the cached page on google..
    > but er.. what I was fishing for was, is there a way to view package lists
    > with out the webpage?
    > ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
    > about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
    > the packages correct name

    You can look directly at an archive package list and grep it if you like
    http://debian.ihug.co.nz/debian/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

    Or use aptitude or synaptic to search/view uninstalled packages.

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  9. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:07:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >> >
    >>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)
    >> >

    >> What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
    >>
    >> apt-cache search <something>

    > thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
    > apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

    apache2 is there if I search in aptitude (/ to search \ to search again)

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  10. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:27:18 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:07:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>> What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
    >>>
    >>> apt-cache search <something>

    >> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
    >> apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

    > apache2 is there if I search in aptitude (/ to search \ to search again)

    I'm running sarge testing , it might not be in woody stable

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  11. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:29:37 +1200, shannon wrote:

    >>> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
    >>> apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

    >> apache2 is there if I search in aptitude (/ to search \ to search again)

    > I'm running sarge testing , it might not be in woody stable

    Yep, there is no Apache2 in Woody.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 5, 2005
  12. Shane (aka froggy)

    thing Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    > and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    > (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    Check to see if your isp has a debian mirror, I know Paradise does, xtra
    might as well.

    Citylink has a mirror but it is only available if your IP and routeing
    indicate a NZ location.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Apr 5, 2005
  13. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>>grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
    >>>and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
    >>>(note the subtle.. How do I do this)

    >>What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about
    >>apt-cache?
    >>
    >>apt-cache search <something>

    > thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt
    > find anything for apache2 (meaning it isnt there)
    >
    >>or apt-show-versions?
    >>

    > command not found
    >
    >>apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>

    Um,

    apt-get install apt-show-versions

    If you want apache2 then you probably need to pull it from
    testing or unstable. Which means running a "mixed" system.

    I run mostly testing, with some unstable.

    Have a look at "pinning".

    I've never had a testing or unstable package give me problems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 5, 2005
  14. On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:40:49 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>>What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about
    > >>apt-cache?
    >>>
    >>>apt-cache search <something>

    >> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt
    > > find anything for apache2 (meaning it isnt there)
    >>
    >>>or apt-show-versions?
    >>>

    >> command not found
    >>
    >>>apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>
    >>>

    > Um,
    >
    > apt-get install apt-show-versions
    >
    > If you want apache2 then you probably need to pull it from
    > testing or unstable. Which means running a "mixed" system.
    >
    > I run mostly testing, with some unstable.
    >
    > Have a look at "pinning".
    >
    > I've never had a testing or unstable package give me problems.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    heh, I'm running round in circles with this mailserver project
    currently it is telling me (in the logs) that postfix-mysql isnt
    installed, however apt-get install postfix-mysql is claiming broken
    dependencies (round and round we go)
    I'll give this till end of tonight.

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005
  15. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:45:23 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:40:49 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt
    >> > find anything for apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

    >>> command not found

    >> Um,
    >>
    >> apt-get install apt-show-versions
    >>
    >> If you want apache2 then you probably need to pull it from
    >> testing or unstable. Which means running a "mixed" system.
    >>
    >> I run mostly testing, with some unstable.
    >>
    >> Have a look at "pinning".
    >>
    >> I've never had a testing or unstable package give me problems.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > heh, I'm running round in circles with this mailserver project
    > currently it is telling me (in the logs) that postfix-mysql isnt
    > installed, however apt-get install postfix-mysql is claiming broken
    > dependencies (round and round we go)
    > I'll give this till end of tonight.

    apt-get dist-upgrade to sarge, it sounds like that's where all the stuff
    you want is.

    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  16. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > heh, I'm running round in circles with this
    > mailserver project currently it is telling me
    > (in the logs) that postfix-mysql isnt installed,
    > however apt-get install postfix-mysql is claiming
    > broken dependencies (round and round we go)
    > I'll give this till end of tonight.

    Um, what exactly? Post here and I'll attempt to diagnose.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 5, 2005
  17. Shane (aka froggy)

    David Preece Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Citylink has a mirror but it is only available if your IP and routeing
    > indicate a NZ location.

    Yes and no, it's only available if your ISP peers with WIX.
    Unfortunately this now just about nobody.

    I use debian.ihug.co.nz (thanks, iHug :)

    Dave

    David Preece, Apr 6, 2005
  18. David Preece wrote:
    >> Citylink has a mirror but it is only available if your IP and routeing
    >> indicate a NZ location.

    > Yes and no, it's only available if your ISP peers with WIX.
    > Unfortunately this now just about nobody.

    ummmm, dont think so.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 6, 2005
  19. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:01:03 +1200, David Preece wrote:

    > thing wrote:
    >> Citylink has a mirror but it is only available if your IP and routeing
    >> indicate a NZ location.

    > Yes and no, it's only available if your ISP peers with WIX. Unfortunately
    > this now just about nobody.

    Or if you peer directly with WIX yourself :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 6, 2005
  20. Shane (aka froggy)

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Yes and no, it's only available if your ISP peers with WIX.
    >> Unfortunately this now just about nobody.

    > ummmm, dont think so.

    Really? Both TelstraClear and Telecom route packets to
    ftp.citylink.co.nz via the states so this leaves - what - the ISP's that
    are local to Wellington?

    It's my understanding that Citylink are looking keen to charge for
    shipping traffic between the major centres too -
    http://www.citylink.co.nz/services/citybridge.html.

    Dave

    David Preece, Apr 7, 2005