    photography. Anyway, here's from earlier today:
    http://forrestcroce.com/Photos/Under-Talapus-Lake.html

    , Apr 2, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I went hiking with some family earlier today, and we brought an old
    > bassethound, so we stuck to easy trails. The one to Talapus Lake is a
    > pretty gentle uphill, so everybody could manage pretty well. It was
    > raining down at lower elevations, but turned to snow around 2,000
    > feet, so for this whole trail.
    >
    > It's been warmer lately than today, so there's been a lot of snowmelt
    > and everything is lush and wet like a rainforest is supposed to be.
    > The next month or two seem like the best time of year for this type of
    > photography. Anyway, here's from earlier today:
    > http://forrestcroce.com/Photos/Under-Talapus-Lake.html

    I don't get up that far north very often (like almost never). But you
    should come down here and check out the Lake Quinault area.

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 2, 2007

  3. jloo Guest

    Nice Shot, lots of waterfalls in my area if it were raining more.
    You must be near the coast? I see ferns in the pic.
    John Loomis
    Fort Bragg. Calif.

    jloo, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 05:29:48 -0700
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I went hiking with some family earlier today, and we brought an old
    > > bassethound, so we stuck to easy trails. The one to Talapus Lake
    > > is a pretty gentle uphill, so everybody could manage pretty well.
    > > It was raining down at lower elevations, but turned to snow around
    > > 2,000 feet, so for this whole trail.
    > >
    > > It's been warmer lately than today, so there's been a lot of
    > > snowmelt and everything is lush and wet like a rainforest is
    > > supposed to be. The next month or two seem like the best time of
    > > year for this type of photography. Anyway, here's from earlier
    > > today: http://forrestcroce.com/Photos/Under-Talapus-Lake.html

    > I don't get up that far north very often (like almost never).

    You mean east, I guess. Talapus Lake is near Snoqualmie Pass, pretty
    close to straight east relative to the west side of the Olympics. It
    is a heck of a long drive around to get from one to the other, to be
    sure.

    > But you
    > should come down here and check out the Lake Quinault area.

    Agreed. I once walked up the Hoh trail in a steady drenching rain
    following a bunch of backpacking Boy Scouts. The wet side of the
    Cascades is dry by comparison with the wet side of the Olympics.
    And once you get out of the clearcuts and into the National Park,
    you're in a dim green cathedral supported by the trunks of huge
    old trees covered everywhere with moss, and with water misting
    down over all. Almost enough to make one get religion.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 2, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > I went hiking with some family earlier today, and we brought an old
    > bassethound, so we stuck to easy trails. The one to Talapus Lake is a
    > pretty gentle uphill, so everybody could manage pretty well. It was
    > raining down at lower elevations, but turned to snow around 2,000
    > feet, so for this whole trail.
    >
    > It's been warmer lately than today, so there's been a lot of snowmelt
    > and everything is lush and wet like a rainforest is supposed to be.
    > The next month or two seem like the best time of year for this type of
    > photography. Anyway, here's from earlier today:
    > http://forrestcroce.com/Photos/Under-Talapus-Lake.html

    Very nice work indeed! I really need to leave my part of Minnesota for
    someplace a little more photogenic ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 2, 2007
  6. In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > You mean east, I guess. Talapus Lake is near Snoqualmie Pass, pretty
    > close to straight east relative to the west side of the Olympics. It
    > is a heck of a long drive around to get from one to the other, to be
    > sure.

    I Google'd it, and it said Mt. Baker...which is definitely north for me
    (I'm in Aberdeen).

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:07:51 -0700
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Allen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > You mean east, I guess. Talapus Lake is near Snoqualmie Pass,
    > > pretty close to straight east relative to the west side of the
    > > Olympics. It is a heck of a long drive around to get from one to
    > > the other, to be sure.

    > I Google'd it, and it said Mt. Baker...which is definitely north for
    > me (I'm in Aberdeen).

    You Googled it? Then you know it's accessed via exit 45 off I-90, at
    least a two-hour drive south of Mt. Baker. Relative to Grays Harbor,
    it is at a somewhat more northerly latitude and a considerably more
    easterly longitude.

    But let's not quibble about where stuff is. Do you have any shots
    of the Lake Quinault area to share?

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 3, 2007
  8. In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > You Googled it? Then you know it's accessed via exit 45 off I-90, at
    > least a two-hour drive south of Mt. Baker. Relative to Grays Harbor,
    > it is at a somewhat more northerly latitude and a considerably more
    > easterly longitude.

    I had never heard of it. Guess I need to renew my passport and get
    outta here once in a while.

    http://users.techline.com/randya

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 4, 2007
  9. Paul Allen Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:55:32 -0700
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Allen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > You Googled it? Then you know it's accessed via exit 45 off I-90,
    > > at least a two-hour drive south of Mt. Baker. Relative to Grays
    > > Harbor, it is at a somewhat more northerly latitude and a
    > > considerably more easterly longitude.

    > I had never heard of it. Guess I need to renew my passport and get
    > outta here once in a while.

    You and me both. I know my way around the Snoqualmie Pass trails pretty
    well, but I've not done any serious walking on the west side of the
    Olympics in 30 years.

    > > But let's not quibble about where stuff is. Do you have any shots
    > > of the Lake Quinault area to share?

    > http://users.techline.com/randya

    Now we're talking! Merriman Falls is just the ticket!

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 4, 2007
  10. In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > Now we're talking! Merriman Falls is just the ticket!

    And that's right beside the road as you're driving by. Although, the
    best shots come from climbing a huge pile of rocks about 75 feet high.

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 4, 2007