Pacific Digital Photo Frame (MF-810) keeps getting "Damaged slide" error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LurfysMa, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. LurfysMa

    LurfysMa Guest

    I purchased a Digital Photo Frame (or Memory Frame) made by Pacific
    Digital. It's a model MF-810 (Memory Frame 8x10).

    I bought one of these same units last summer for my parents. We
    uploaded a bunch of family photos and gave it as a birthday present.
    It worked pretty well.

    They provide software (Digital PixMaster) that you use to create
    "slide shows". These are then transferred to the digital photo frame
    over a USB cable.

    For some reason, this one keeps getting an error message during the
    transfer that says:

    "The slideshow transfer was interrupted:

    Then on the Photo Frame itself, the message

    "Damaged Slide...Please resend slideshow"

    it displayed.

    I am able to transfer a few photos (3-5) with no problems. But if I
    try to transfer more (it holds up to 80), I get the error messages.

    I have downloaded the latest USB drivers and software from the company
    website (www.pacificdigital.com).

    This all worked perfectly this past summer with all the same hardware
    except this photo frame.

    Can anyone suggest what I might try? Christmas is a day away and the
    Pacific Digital techs are on vacation until January.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    --
    For email, use
    LurfysMa, Dec 24, 2005

  2. LurfysMa

    LurfysMa Guest

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:28:15 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    wrote:

    >I purchased a Digital Photo Frame (or Memory Frame) made by Pacific
    >Digital. It's a model MF-810 (Memory Frame 8x10).
    >
    >I bought one of these same units last summer for my parents. We
    >uploaded a bunch of family photos and gave it as a birthday present.
    >It worked pretty well.
    >
    >They provide software (Digital PixMaster) that you use to create
    >"slide shows". These are then transferred to the digital photo frame
    >over a USB cable.
    >
    >For some reason, this one keeps getting an error message during the
    >transfer that says:
    >
    > "The slideshow transfer was interrupted:
    >
    >Then on the Photo Frame itself, the message
    >
    > "Damaged Slide...Please resend slideshow"
    >
    >it displayed.
    >
    >I am able to transfer a few photos (3-5) with no problems. But if I
    >try to transfer more (it holds up to 80), I get the error messages.
    >
    >I have downloaded the latest USB drivers and software from the company
    >website (www.pacificdigital.com).
    >
    >This all worked perfectly this past summer with all the same hardware
    >except this photo frame.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest what I might try? Christmas is a day away and the
    >Pacific Digital techs are on vacation until January.
    >
    >Thanks for any suggestions.

    I discovered that I can load photos directly from my digital camera
    without any problems. The camera is a Nikon CoolPix 4200. I can even
    transfer photos from the pc to the camera and then from the camera to
    the photo frame. This tells me that problem is probably (a) the photo
    frame cannot handle the speed of the USB port from the PC (the camera
    is a lot slower) or (b) there is something wrong with the USB input
    port on the photo frame (the input port for the camera is different).

    Is there any way to slow down the PC USB transfer rate?

    I also tried transfering a complete slide show created with their
    Digital PixMaster software to the camera and then top the photo frame,
    but it couldn't find it.

    --
    For email, use
    LurfysMa, Dec 24, 2005

  3. LurfysMa

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:30:14 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:28:15 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I purchased a Digital Photo Frame (or Memory Frame) made by Pacific
    >>Digital. It's a model MF-810 (Memory Frame 8x10).
    >>
    >>I bought one of these same units last summer for my parents. We
    >>uploaded a bunch of family photos and gave it as a birthday present.
    >>It worked pretty well.
    >>
    >>They provide software (Digital PixMaster) that you use to create
    >>"slide shows". These are then transferred to the digital photo frame
    >>over a USB cable.
    >>
    >>For some reason, this one keeps getting an error message during the
    >>transfer that says:
    >>
    >> "The slideshow transfer was interrupted:
    >>
    >>Then on the Photo Frame itself, the message
    >>
    >> "Damaged Slide...Please resend slideshow"
    >>
    >>it displayed.
    >>
    >>I am able to transfer a few photos (3-5) with no problems. But if I
    >>try to transfer more (it holds up to 80), I get the error messages.
    >>
    >>I have downloaded the latest USB drivers and software from the company
    >>website (www.pacificdigital.com).
    >>
    >>This all worked perfectly this past summer with all the same hardware
    >>except this photo frame.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest what I might try? Christmas is a day away and the
    >>Pacific Digital techs are on vacation until January.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any suggestions.

    >I discovered that I can load photos directly from my digital camera
    >without any problems. The camera is a Nikon CoolPix 4200. I can even
    >transfer photos from the pc to the camera and then from the camera to
    >the photo frame. This tells me that problem is probably (a) the photo
    >frame cannot handle the speed of the USB port from the PC (the camera
    >is a lot slower) or (b) there is something wrong with the USB input
    >port on the photo frame (the input port for the camera is different).
    >
    >Is there any way to slow down the PC USB transfer rate?

    Don't need to; the frame uses USB 1.1. Your computer's USB system will
    recognize this and not "overfeed" the frame. Too high a transfer speed
    isn't the problem.
    The problem may be (is probably) somewhere in your PC.

    >I also tried transfering a complete slide show created with their
    >Digital PixMaster software to the camera and then top the photo frame,
    >but it couldn't find it.

    Try removing the software, and reloading the original software; if
    this doesn't work, remove that, and try the newer software.
    If that doesn't work, try it on another PC if you can. If that works,
    then something changed in your PC. (Have you changed anything lately,
    like just before the problem started?)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 24, 2005
  4. LurfysMa

    LurfysMa Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:51:21 -0700, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:30:14 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:28:15 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I purchased a Digital Photo Frame (or Memory Frame) made by Pacific
    >>>Digital. It's a model MF-810 (Memory Frame 8x10).
    >>>
    >>>I bought one of these same units last summer for my parents. We
    >>>uploaded a bunch of family photos and gave it as a birthday present.
    >>>It worked pretty well.
    >>>
    >>>They provide software (Digital PixMaster) that you use to create
    >>>"slide shows". These are then transferred to the digital photo frame
    >>>over a USB cable.
    >>>
    >>>For some reason, this one keeps getting an error message during the
    >>>transfer that says:
    >>>
    >>> "The slideshow transfer was interrupted:
    >>>
    >>>Then on the Photo Frame itself, the message
    >>>
    >>> "Damaged Slide...Please resend slideshow"
    >>>
    >>>it displayed.
    >>>
    >>>I am able to transfer a few photos (3-5) with no problems. But if I
    >>>try to transfer more (it holds up to 80), I get the error messages.
    >>>
    >>>I have downloaded the latest USB drivers and software from the company
    >>>website (www.pacificdigital.com).
    >>>
    >>>This all worked perfectly this past summer with all the same hardware
    >>>except this photo frame.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone suggest what I might try? Christmas is a day away and the
    >>>Pacific Digital techs are on vacation until January.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any suggestions.

    >>I discovered that I can load photos directly from my digital camera
    >>without any problems. The camera is a Nikon CoolPix 4200. I can even
    >>transfer photos from the pc to the camera and then from the camera to
    >>the photo frame. This tells me that problem is probably (a) the photo
    >>frame cannot handle the speed of the USB port from the PC (the camera
    >>is a lot slower) or (b) there is something wrong with the USB input
    >>port on the photo frame (the input port for the camera is different).
    >>
    >>Is there any way to slow down the PC USB transfer rate?

    >Don't need to; the frame uses USB 1.1. Your computer's USB system will
    >recognize this and not "overfeed" the frame. Too high a transfer speed
    >isn't the problem.
    >The problem may be (is probably) somewhere in your PC.

    I suppose that's possible, but I get the exact same results on two
    different PCs -- one is a laptop, the other a workstation. Both worked
    just fine with the first frame this summer.

    >>I also tried transfering a complete slide show created with their
    >>Digital PixMaster software to the camera and then top the photo frame,
    >>but it couldn't find it.

    >Try removing the software, and reloading the original software; if
    >this doesn't work, remove that, and try the newer software.

    I removed the software, reinstalled, reinstalled the USB drivers, and
    even the frame firmware.

    >If that doesn't work, try it on another PC if you can. If that works,
    >then something changed in your PC.

    As I said, I tried it on 2 PCs -- same results.

    >Have you changed anything lately, like just before the problem started?

    No major installs, but nothing is totally static.

    --
    For email, use
    LurfysMa, Dec 24, 2005
  5. LurfysMa

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:16:13 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:51:21 -0700, Bill Funk
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:30:14 -0800, LurfysMa <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I discovered that I can load photos directly from my digital camera
    >>>without any problems. The camera is a Nikon CoolPix 4200. I can even
    >>>transfer photos from the pc to the camera and then from the camera to
    >>>the photo frame. This tells me that problem is probably (a) the photo
    >>>frame cannot handle the speed of the USB port from the PC (the camera
    >>>is a lot slower) or (b) there is something wrong with the USB input
    >>>port on the photo frame (the input port for the camera is different).
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to slow down the PC USB transfer rate?

    >>Don't need to; the frame uses USB 1.1. Your computer's USB system will
    >>recognize this and not "overfeed" the frame. Too high a transfer speed
    >>isn't the problem.
    >>The problem may be (is probably) somewhere in your PC.

    >I suppose that's possible, but I get the exact same results on two
    >different PCs -- one is a laptop, the other a workstation. Both worked
    >just fine with the first frame this summer.

    That certainly points to a frame that's gone bonkers, doesn't it?

    >>>I also tried transfering a complete slide show created with their
    >>>Digital PixMaster software to the camera and then top the photo frame,
    >>>but it couldn't find it.

    >>Try removing the software, and reloading the original software; if
    >>this doesn't work, remove that, and try the newer software.

    >I removed the software, reinstalled, reinstalled the USB drivers, and
    >even the frame firmware.
    >
    >>If that doesn't work, try it on another PC if you can. If that works,
    >>then something changed in your PC.

    >As I said, I tried it on 2 PCs -- same results.
    >
    >>Have you changed anything lately, like just before the problem started?

    >No major installs, but nothing is totally static.

    As above, when it stops working on several machines, the suspected bad
    point isn't the several machines, it's the frame.
    You have a workaround, I suggest you use it until you can get ahold of
    pacificdigital.

    Bill Funk, Dec 24, 2005
  6. LurfysMa

    Frank ess Guest

    LurfysMa wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:51:21 -0700, Bill Funk
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:30:14 -0800, LurfysMa
    >> <> wrote:

    It holds more than 80: I just refilled one with 92 images, which it
    swallowed and regurgitated on request.

    I prefer against installing any software not really necessary,
    although if I want to update the firmware it will eventually be
    necessary.

    I'd like to run the shows from a reader or "thumb drive", but so far
    the frame has done this each time I tried: looked for and found the
    drive, showed one image, and then a raft of "Damaged slide show..."
    messages, one for each image, I presume. I have no idea how to make it
    behave.

    Uploading from a reader works fine but slow, and although the
    manipulation of transitions and backgrounds is a good deal more
    time-consuming and less convenient, it can be done. For my purposes,
    it's just fine with the black field and random transitions.

    This is going to be great for when we visit relatives: a few of the
    smaller-capacity CF cards that came with cameras hold a lot of images,
    the thing will plug in anywhere, is big enough for quite a few folks
    to view at once. Only thing missing is a remote control to pause for
    exclamations!

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 24, 2005