(p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (software D

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by markm75, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    I've struggled with this for a while.. and now i think ive narrowed down the
    problem...

    With the Asus P5N32-sli se onboard Realtek audio.. it will not output dolby
    digital via the SPDIF via software players like PowerDVD, Windows Media
    Player etc on x64 Vista...

    On this same x64 Vista.. I can goto control panel.. audio.. playback
    devices.. the digital audio one.. properties and send Dolby test signals fine
    and clear to the receiver.

    But on the same x64 Vista, if i attempt to use PowerDVD (set to output over
    spdif).. it will freeze up.. I also tried WinDVD, it wouldnt freeze, but no
    audio was heard.. With Media Player it didnt output any sound Via spdif...

    I'm at a loss on x64.. as i tried x86 briefly.. the sound coming from
    PowerDVD did output Dolby Digital...

    Anyone happen to have this board.. and has found a way to get Dolby over
    spdif under x64 vista?

    I'm guessing its a limitation of the software under x64, not the hardware or
    the realtek drivers?

    Thanks in advance..
    markm75, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Some of the features of the Realtek driver for Vista x64 may not be enabled
    yet. That is the case with a number of drivers. I have a box with a P5N32
    SLI SE Deluxe. I had many issues. Be sure your BIOS is at 0704. I do not
    use dolby, however.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008

  3. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    Re: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Some of the features of the Realtek driver for Vista x64 may not be enabled
    > yet. That is the case with a number of drivers. I have a box with a P5N32
    > SLI SE Deluxe. I had many issues. Be sure your BIOS is at 0704. I do not
    > use dolby, however.

    Yeah thats the latest bios i have.

    Actually.. when you goto playback devices.. the digital one.. properties..
    and do a test on dolby digital.. it works fine there.. just not through ANY
    software DVD player that i've tried (tried 3 so far)..
    markm75, Jan 9, 2008
  4. markm75

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your speaker
    output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so that
    both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 9, 2008
  5. markm75

    "Carlos" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm not a Realtek audio user but I guess you should also set your speaker
    > output to SPDIF in Realtek's control panel (that icon on systray) so that
    > both driver and OS are on the same page (or output).
    > Carlos

    Actually.. my realtek control panel doesnt have a spdif output option per
    say.. it has a speaker config.. but only choices are 2, 4, 6, 8 speakers, no
    spdif option.

    This is the case in both x64 and x86 vista.
    markm75, Jan 9, 2008
  6. markm75

    Carlos Guest

    RE: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    So you say that you can get SPDIF Dolby output in Vista x86 but not in Vista
    x64 in this same PC?
    Is Vista x86 Realtek Control Panel different from the x64 version?
    Do the release notes of the x64 Realtek drivers say anything about SPDIF
    support?
    Are you using the latest drivers?
    AC97 (not high-def) drivers can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC
    and they are version 6251

    High-Definition drivers can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...evel=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs
    and they are R1.68

    Which one you choose will depend on the particular Realtek chipset you have
    embedded in your motherboard.

    I guess your best option might be to check (if they exist) Realtek forums.
    The closest thing I found are FAQ's here:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsFamlist.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=2&Level=2&Conn=1

    I am a CreativeLabs user and have found solutions to actual problems in
    their Vista forums.

    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Re: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    I don't think the final feature set is enabled yet.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008
  8. markm75

    Carlos Guest

    Re: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    My guess is the same.
    Even CreativeLabs (aka Soundblaster) has no final full-featured drivers
    after one year of Vista RTM existence.
    They still have no permanent solution for the bass-redirection feature on
    some cards.
    There were may profound changes in the Vista audio subsystem and it seems
    that the audio chipset manufacturers have not been able to catch up, though I
    don't excuse them.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Re: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    nVidia's 169.25 has comments in the Help file that mention that some of the
    nVidia Center options are not enabled in x64 but are "coming real soon now."

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008
  10. markm75

    Carlos Guest

    Re: (p5n32-sli SE) coax DD output doesnt work in Vista x64 (softwa

    "Real soon" in NVidia's timescale might be sometime around... let me see...
    2011?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 9, 2008