    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    email/IM for rates/services

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > I remember a few days or so ago I was having a discussion with
    > someone (who I can't remember), about Intel's HTT enabled processors
    > being slower than the identical processors with HTT disabled. I was
    > reading some benchmarks just now and I found a case where this is
    > exactly true:
    > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/intelamdcpuroundupvideo/index.html
    > Scroll to MPEG1/MainConcept.
    >
    > The Intel P4 2.4 beats out the P4 2.4C w/HTT enabled, which itself
    > loses to a Celeron 2.4.
    >
    > Interesting to see the performance hit caused by the overhead.

    Interesting...yes it does seem to make a difference, and I've seen this
    happen when comparing running a single app vs another single app without
    HT. The HT does have an advantage in multi-tasking though, does it not?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 20, 2004

  3. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Interesting...yes it does seem to make a difference, and I've seen this
    > happen when comparing running a single app vs another single app without
    > HT. The HT does have an advantage in multi-tasking though, does it not?

    Theoretically, yes.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  4. DeMoN LaG

    spy Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:09:40 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Interesting...yes it does seem to make a difference, and I've seen this
    >> happen when comparing running a single app vs another single app without
    >> HT. The HT does have an advantage in multi-tasking though, does it not?
    >>

    >Theoretically, yes.

    Question? I sit worth the extra money to buy a P4 HT if you plan on
    making DVD's from home made VHS tapes? Planning on building my own
    computer and confused between using an AMD or P4 or P4 HT.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    spy, Jan 22, 2004
  5. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:466u009qnfddkg27f4chvm4sbco05f22t2@
    4ax.com:

    > Question? I sit worth the extra money to buy a P4 HT if you plan on
    > making DVD's from home made VHS tapes? Planning on building my own
    > computer and confused between using an AMD or P4 or P4 HT.

    I would definitely go for a P4 w/HTT if given a choice between having it or
    not having it. As for Athlon/P4, that depends. The only way to tell what
    is right for you is to look at benchmarks, and see which does better at the
    things you do most, and then decide if the difference in price between the
    P4 and Athlon of your choice warrants spending more for a little more
    performance or saving some money and dealing with a few extra minutes per
    hour spent encoding or whatever.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004
  6. DeMoN LaG

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in
    > news:466u009qnfddkg27f4chvm4sbco05f22t2@ 4ax.com:
    >
    >> Question? I sit worth the extra money to buy a P4 HT if you plan on
    >> making DVD's from home made VHS tapes? Planning on building my own
    >> computer and confused between using an AMD or P4 or P4 HT.

    > I would definitely go for a P4 w/HTT if given a choice between having
    > it or not having it. As for Athlon/P4, that depends. The only way
    > to tell what is right for you is to look at benchmarks, and see which
    > does better at the things you do most, and then decide if the
    > difference in price between the P4 and Athlon of your choice warrants
    > spending more for a little more performance or saving some money and
    > dealing with a few extra minutes per hour spent encoding or whatever.

    I would agree, until there is a 64 bit Windows for Athlon 64, nothing
    can top the P4 for video encoding.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 22, 2004
  7. DeMoN LaG

    spy Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:25:06 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    dot com> wrote:

    >DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >> daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in
    >> news:466u009qnfddkg27f4chvm4sbco05f22t2@ 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> Question? I sit worth the extra money to buy a P4 HT if you plan on
    >>> making DVD's from home made VHS tapes? Planning on building my own
    >>> computer and confused between using an AMD or P4 or P4 HT.

    >> I would definitely go for a P4 w/HTT if given a choice between having
    >> it or not having it. As for Athlon/P4, that depends. The only way
    >> to tell what is right for you is to look at benchmarks, and see which
    >> does better at the things you do most, and then decide if the
    >> difference in price between the P4 and Athlon of your choice warrants
    >> spending more for a little more performance or saving some money and
    >> dealing with a few extra minutes per hour spent encoding or whatever.

    >I would agree, until there is a 64 bit Windows for Athlon 64, nothing
    >can top the P4 for video encoding.

    Thank both of you for the advice, looks like I'll pay the extra and go
    with the P4/HTT. I did check out a site someone posted here a while
    back and the benchmarks for video encoding was confusing. Some
    programs the AMD was better and some the P4. So I'll go with the P4
    and buy a program that works best with it.

    spy, Jan 22, 2004
  8. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:eed010lrd52jlvs7cuh7c2e1ufkvqv33ee@
    4ax.com:

    > Some
    > programs the AMD was better and some the P4. So I'll go with the P4
    > and buy a program that works best with it.

    Yes, that's the thing. Neither company's chip is better across the board.
    Some video encoders like Athlons, some like P4s. Some games like Athlons,
    some games like P4s. Like I said, look at what software you like to use
    and get the CPU that runs it better.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004