    128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3100, Dual VGA or DVI + VGA Capable

    Thanks to all!

    Shane

    Shane Metzler, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Shane Metzler

    Stuart Guest

    Shane Metzler wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have been given a task to configure a machine with either a Xeon 3.0 or P4
    > 3.2GHz Extreme Edition. The main function of the computer is graphics
    > based, ie video editing, photoshop, web design.
    >
    > I cann't decide with is better for the task, the Xeon or Extreme...
    >
    > Also, at hand is the video card debate,
    > 256MB PCI ExpressT x16 Nvidia® GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card
    > Or
    > 128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3100, Dual VGA or DVI + VGA Capable
    >
    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > Shane

    What is wrong with an AMD chip as it is cheaper. The main concern of the
    graphics card is the 2D performance unless there are plans for playing
    the latest games as well. The ATI cards are better at 2D graphics than
    the Nvidia and I would look into the usefulness of the dual VGA sockets,
    will they be used.

    If the function is mainly video editing and Photoshop then the amount of
    memory and the speed/size/setup of the hard drives is more important
    than the graphics card.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Oct 25, 2004