P3 cpu in P4

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Michael-NC, May 18, 2004.

  1. Michael-NC

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Harry Peterson" <> wrote in message
    news:40a9fc7d$...
    > Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu has

    17
    > pins while his has only 8. can these be interchanged?

    No!

    > Alternatively, I can get hold of a Pentium 3 CPU. Can this be placed in

    the
    > P4T-E to test it?

    No!

    Michael-NC, May 18, 2004

  2. Michael-NC

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:10:34 +1000, "Harry Peterson" <>
    wrote:

    > Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu has 17
    > pins while his has only 8. can these be interchanged?
    >
    > Alternatively, I can get hold of a Pentium 3 CPU. Can this be placed in the
    > P4T-E to test it?

    You will have to hammer the CPU in with a one pound lump hammer to make it fit.

    Ken Oaf, May 18, 2004

  3. "Harry Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu has

    17
    > pins while his has only 8. can these be interchanged?
    >
    > Alternatively, I can get hold of a Pentium 3 CPU. Can this be placed in

    the
    > P4T-E to test it?

    As stated, no. Why does he need to test it? CPU's "almost" never fail unless
    they are overheated.

    The Ancient One, May 18, 2004
  4. Michael-NC

    [BnH] Guest

    Or zapped with static :D

    =bob=

    [BnH], May 19, 2004
  5. Michael-NC

    Wayne Reid Guest

    > Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu has

    17
    > pins while his has only 8. can these be interchanged?
    >
    > Alternatively, I can get hold of a Pentium 3 CPU. Can this be placed in

    the
    > P4T-E to test it?

    Tell us again how many pins.

    And while you are about it, post your question using different wording -
    what you say above makes no sense.

    WR

    Wayne Reid, May 19, 2004
  6. Michael-NC

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Harry Peterson" <> wrote in

    > Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu
    > has 17 pins while his has only 8. can these be interchanged?

    Your CPU has more than 17 pins, and his has more than 8. Along the lines
    of his having 423 or 478.

    > Alternatively, I can get hold of a Pentium 3 CPU. Can this be placed
    > in the P4T-E to test it?

    No, a P3 is a socket 370 part and has 370 pins.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 19, 2004
  7. Friend has a Asus P4T-E motherboard and needs to test the CPU. My CPu has 17

    Harry Peterson, May 19, 2004
  8. Michael-NC

    Jerry G. Guest

    N O ! ! !

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., May 19, 2004
  9. Michael-NC

    Vince Slevin Guest

    NO!!!

    Vince Slevin, May 21, 2004
  10. Michael-NC

    Gorzzz Guest

    2.5 Kg hammer would be better....gotta make sure that 17 goes into 8.....

    gorzzz

    "Ken Oaf" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:10:34 +1000, "Harry Peterson"

    <>

    Gorzzz, May 21, 2004
  11. Michael-NC

    Michael-NC Guest

    Re: New problem

    Clear the cmos with the jumper on the motherboard. See the manual.

    > I guess that is clear. After some agonising he bought a new motherboard.

    Now

    Michael-NC, May 21, 2004
  12. Michael-NC

    Michael-NC Guest

    Re: New problem

    Make sure you have them plugged in correctly and if still no go, go over the
    all the jumper settings carefully. Some boards have settings for front side
    bus, cpu, and memory. Also disconnect all the drives and try to get the
    motherboard to post with just video and ram installed. See if it'll post
    without the keyboard and mouse installed.

    > OK. Thanks I will give it a try. I removed the battery to discharge the

    CMOS

    Michael-NC, May 22, 2004
  13. Michael-NC

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Re: New problem

    Harry Peterson wrote:

    > I guess that is clear. After some agonising he bought a new motherboard. Now
    > has a new problem. Motherboard boots but does not seems to recognise the
    > mouse or keyboard.
    >
    > message on booting is:
    > CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded
    >
    > Because the keyboard is not recognised he can't hit F1 to continue or Del to
    > enter setup.
    >
    > both mouse and keyboard work on a separate machine.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    A number of thoughts spring to mind. What sort of keyboard and mouse
    are you using? USB or something else?

    If your keyboard and mouse are USB, then try to beg, borrow or steal PS2
    ones and try booting with them connected. Make sure you have them
    connected correctly too - most relatively recent ones are colour coded.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 22, 2004
  14. Michael-NC

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Re: New problem

    Harry Peterson wrote:

    > Consulted manual and it says to clear CMOs with jumper and temporarily shor
    > 1-2 pin. I tried that and made no difference.
    > I am not using USB mouse or keyboard. It makes no difference if I try to
    > boot with or without the mouse or keyboard.
    > Motherboard has built in video. With just video and ram installed still get
    > the error message.

    OK. The message on boot is only to be expected and should not be
    considered an error message, but informational. It is telling you that
    the CMOS options have not been set, and that the defaults have been
    loaded. Each time you reset the CMOS you will get the message the next
    time you boot.

    I am rather puzzled with the keyboard and mouse not operating as you did
    remark it was a new motherboard. Although it is not unknown for a new
    board to have this sort of problem I would look for alternatives before
    returning it to my supplier.

    By default most motherboards I have worked on enable halt on keybard
    error, so I would have expected the ridiculous error message, "keyboard
    not detected, press any key to continue". I know I mentioned it
    earlier, but are you absolutely sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged
    into the correct sockets?

    Another alternative, and one not seen too many times anymore is where a
    keyboard lock is fitted to the case and/or jumpered incorrectly on the
    motherboard. Which motherboard is it?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 22, 2004
  15. Michael-NC

    Ernest Guest

    Re: New problem

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 12:30:10 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >Harry Peterson wrote:
    >
    >> Consulted manual and it says to clear CMOs with jumper and temporarily shor
    >> 1-2 pin. I tried that and made no difference.
    >> I am not using USB mouse or keyboard. It makes no difference if I try to
    >> boot with or without the mouse or keyboard.
    >> Motherboard has built in video. With just video and ram installed still get
    >> the error message.
    >>

    >OK. The message on boot is only to be expected and should not be
    >considered an error message, but informational. It is telling you that
    >the CMOS options have not been set, and that the defaults have been
    >loaded. Each time you reset the CMOS you will get the message the next
    >time you boot.
    >
    >I am rather puzzled with the keyboard and mouse not operating as you did
    >remark it was a new motherboard. Although it is not unknown for a new
    >board to have this sort of problem I would look for alternatives before
    >returning it to my supplier.
    >
    >By default most motherboards I have worked on enable halt on keybard
    >error, so I would have expected the ridiculous error message, "keyboard
    >not detected, press any key to continue". I know I mentioned it
    >earlier, but are you absolutely sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged
    >into the correct sockets?
    >
    >Another alternative, and one not seen too many times anymore is where a
    >keyboard lock is fitted to the case and/or jumpered incorrectly on the
    >motherboard. Which motherboard is it?

    Check the motherboard manual and see if the default
    keyboard/mouse set up is PS2 or USB, if default is USB
    it will be looking for them as USB ones.

    Deadly Ernest

    @bywater.net.au

    (my new keyboard, with small keys,
    accepts full responsibility for all
    typographical and spelling errors)

    Ernest, May 22, 2004
  16. New problem

    Harry Peterson, May 22, 2004
  17. Michael-NC

    Rod Speed Guest

    Re: New problem

    "Ernest" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 12:30:10 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Harry Peterson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Consulted manual and it says to clear CMOs with jumper and temporarily shor
    > >> 1-2 pin. I tried that and made no difference.
    > >> I am not using USB mouse or keyboard. It makes no difference if I try to
    > >> boot with or without the mouse or keyboard.
    > >> Motherboard has built in video. With just video and ram installed still get
    > >> the error message.
    > >>

    > >OK. The message on boot is only to be expected and should not be
    > >considered an error message, but informational. It is telling you that
    > >the CMOS options have not been set, and that the defaults have been
    > >loaded. Each time you reset the CMOS you will get the message the next
    > >time you boot.
    > >
    > >I am rather puzzled with the keyboard and mouse not operating as you did
    > >remark it was a new motherboard. Although it is not unknown for a new
    > >board to have this sort of problem I would look for alternatives before
    > >returning it to my supplier.
    > >
    > >By default most motherboards I have worked on enable halt on keybard
    > >error, so I would have expected the ridiculous error message, "keyboard
    > >not detected, press any key to continue". I know I mentioned it
    > >earlier, but are you absolutely sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged
    > >into the correct sockets?
    > >
    > >Another alternative, and one not seen too many times anymore is where a
    > >keyboard lock is fitted to the case and/or jumpered incorrectly on the
    > >motherboard. Which motherboard is it?

    > Check the motherboard manual and see if the default
    > keyboard/mouse set up is PS2 or USB, if default is USB
    > it will be looking for them as USB ones.

    It isnt normally done like that, with a default set.

    > Deadly Ernest

    Pathetic, really.

    Rod Speed, May 22, 2004
  18. Re: New problem

    Harry Peterson, May 22, 2004
  19. Michael-NC

    Trent© Guest

    Re: New problem

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:18:23 +1000, "Harry Peterson"
    <> wrote:

    >I guess that is clear. After some agonising he bought a new motherboard. Now
    >has a new problem. Motherboard boots but does not seems to recognise the
    >mouse or keyboard.
    >
    >message on booting is:
    >CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded
    >
    >Because the keyboard is not recognised he can't hit F1 to continue or Del to
    >enter setup.

    At that point, what screen at you at?...what does it say? Do you
    always get the checksum error?...with each boot? If so, try putting
    in a new battery.

    >both mouse and keyboard work on a separate machine.

    Is it a TRUE PS/2 keyboard?...or does it have an adaptor?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 23, 2004
  20. Michael-NC

    <> wrote:

    >I guess that is clear. After some agonising he bought a new motherboard. Now
    >has a new problem. Motherboard boots but does not seems to recognise the
    >mouse or keyboard.
    >
    >message on booting is:
    >CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded

    One more thing...

    Is the memory new also?...or did it come out of the old board? Are
    you sure its the proper memory for that board?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 23, 2004