    file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright infringement.

    US laws is so crappy or Corrupt

    What does this decision not apply to Gun Makers, or even car makers..?
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Tony

    Chris Hope Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that
    > sell file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright
    > infringement.
    >
    > US laws is so crappy or Corrupt
    >
    > What does this decision not apply to Gun Makers, or even car
    > makers..?

    That's quite an interesting thought when you look at it in that light -
    very insightful of you Roger. What would be interesting is if the anti
    gun lobby in the US tried to use this decision to tackle gun makers,
    because the logic behind each is essentially the same.

    Using the theory of the people who sell the software being liable, then
    surely the makers of *any* tools that can be used for copying stuff
    should also hold this liability eg cd and dvd writers.

    Chris Hope, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Tony

    Peter Grooby Guest

    In article <d9qgvo$dhp$>,
    says...
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    > > The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that
    > > sell file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright
    > > infringement.
    > >
    > > US laws is so crappy or Corrupt
    > >
    > > What does this decision not apply to Gun Makers, or even car
    > > makers..?

    > That's quite an interesting thought when you look at it in that light -
    > very insightful of you Roger. What would be interesting is if the anti
    > gun lobby in the US tried to use this decision to tackle gun makers,
    > because the logic behind each is essentially the same.

    What might make the situation different, would be if there was sustained
    ongoing firearms carnage occuring, and 95% of guns manufactured were
    used to kill someone within an hour of thier purchase.

    Not that I think downloading a Britney Speares song and blowing someones
    head off are equally serious.

    Pete

    Remove pants from email address to reply.
    Peter Grooby, Jun 28, 2005
  4. In message <d9qgvo$dhp$>, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >That's quite an interesting thought when you look at it in that light -
    >very insightful of you Roger. What would be interesting is if the anti
    >gun lobby in the US tried to use this decision to tackle gun makers,
    >because the logic behind each is essentially the same.
    >
    >Using the theory of the people who sell the software being liable, then
    >surely the makers of *any* tools that can be used for copying stuff
    >should also hold this liability eg cd and dvd writers.

    The key issue appears to be that the file-sharing companies involved
    here (and note that technically it's a decision on those companies
    only - although it does set a precedent) are said to have not only
    made illegal copying possible, but to have also actively induced
    people to do it.

    Can gun-makers be said to have actively induced people to shoot
    others? How about makers of CD and DVD writers? iPods?

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Tony

    Mercury Guest

    Of course gun makers do! Thats what guns are for. Killing People and
    Animals. They are not for playing with, nor are they for target practice
    (except specific competition models), nor are they trophies to hang on
    walls.

    Mercury, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Tony

    Mark Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that sell
    > file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright infringement.
    >

    > US laws is so crappy or Corrupt
    >
    > What does this decision not apply to Gun Makers, or even car makers..?

    Or the internet...
    Mark, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Mark wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that sell
    >>file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright infringement.
    >>

    >>US laws is so crappy or Corrupt
    >>
    >>What does this decision not apply to Gun Makers, or even car makers..?
    >>

    > Or the internet...

    Why not sue the buggers which developed FTP? Those bloody filesharers!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Tony

    JBO Guest

    Peter Grooby <> wrote:

    > What might make the situation different, would be if there was sustained
    > ongoing firearms carnage occuring

    A coincidence you should say that now. There was an article on the
    BBC today, which said that there were more gun-related killings in
    Brazil than in most war zones.

    JBO, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Tony

    Harry Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that sell
    > file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright infringement.

    So that must apply to Microsoft.
    They will therefore have to withdraw Windows from sale.

    Harry, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Tony

    Shane Guest

    > So that must apply to Microsoft.
    > They will therefore have to withdraw Windows from sale.

    when I rang up about jetstream with telecom early last year, I was asked
    by the operator if I downloaded a lot of music and movies (to gauge my
    usage) a couple months later I rang again and there was a change in thier
    script, it was now, do I download a lot of movie Trailers.

    my point?
    This judgement could be applied equally to ISP's

    Shane, Jun 29, 2005