    I'm a 63 year old novice at this
    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony Williams, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Tony Williams

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:09:02 -0000, "Tony Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >I know I'm probably being a little paranoid, but when I use P2P programs
    >such as Morpheus or Bearshare and download files is it possible that someone
    >can get into my pc while I'm downloading or get hold of my IP address so
    >that they log in later?
    >I'm a 63 year old novice at this
    >Thanks
    >Tony

    Bearshare is reported as containing spyware and is
    regarded as a piece of shit that needs to be removed
    on sight.

    This is from 2002 but worth reading:

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,1000000097,2107584,00.htm

    Rather you than me.

    Your IP address is neither a secret to be guarded or
    really 'yours' its leased from BT's pool and was
    86.153.63.1 when you posted this message.

    Good security is the art of protecting things with
    a measured response.

    Running these programs is the equivalent of leaving your
    front door open to burglars and people who would turn your
    house into a brothel.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 16, 2007

  3. Tony Williams

    Rasky Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:09:02 +0000, Tony Williams wrote:

    > I know I'm probably being a little paranoid, but when I use P2P programs
    > such as Morpheus or Bearshare and download files is it possible that
    > someone can get into my pc while I'm downloading or get hold of my IP
    > address so that they log in later?

    In that respect you just need to be careful which folders you share As for
    the spyware issue, you can use an open source P2P app like Ares or
    Shareza, but with Ares you need to be very careful sharing you directories
    because it has a very confusing directory sharing dialog.

    you could also look at Filetopia which is generally trusted in P2P circles
    and uses public key cryptography and bouncers to protect users. Despite
    this all sounding complicated it's actually one of the easiest apps to use
    I've come across.

    The slyck, and Zeropaid websites explain this whole issue very well. You
    could also look at Afterdawn, but it has a slightly underground
    reputation, which may or may not bother you.

    --
    Rasky
    Rasky, Nov 17, 2007