  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    anyone know anything about it?

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Worm Guest

    Hmmm, so it is...

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > anyone know anything about it?

    Worm, Nov 21, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:18:55 +1300, "Worm" <>
    wrote:

    >Hmmm, so it is...
    >
    >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> anyone know anything about it?

    Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    Too much bandwidth.
    nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    box).

    best
    Warwick

    Warwick, Nov 21, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    > Too much bandwidth.
    > nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    > box).

    bugger... just when it was starting to become usefull.

    But national traffic is *free* for ISPs isnt it?

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Worm Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:18:55 +1300, "Worm" <>
    > wrote:

    > Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    > Too much bandwidth.
    > nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    > box).

    Oh dear - what now for Jetstart users? :)

    Worm

    Worm, Nov 21, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:53:42 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >Warwick wrote:
    >> Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    >> Too much bandwidth.
    >> nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    >> box).

    >bugger... just when it was starting to become usefull.
    >
    >But national traffic is *free* for ISPs isnt it?

    the p2p traffic is not an issue, since it is peer to peer.
    Its the chat.
    An op showed me the figures today, which I found incredible.

    I would have thought about 10-12 bytes per second times by about 100
    users on bubbledome and maybe 3 or 4 times that many on dcnz.

    My estimate was out by an entire magnitude.

    Phantom or Craig will have the exact data and I am sure they will give
    it to you if you ask.

    cheers

    Warwick, Nov 21, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    John Doe Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > anyone know anything about it?

    dc.nzgames.co.nz is up, but is this address still blocked to
    international traffic ? No kidding about this...

    John Doe, Nov 21, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > Its the chat.
    > My estimate was out by an entire magnitude.
    > Phantom or Craig will have the exact data and I am sure they will give
    > it to you if you ask.

    Fine then, leave the hub, cut the chat... I have no probs with that.

    Craig, do you have the numbers handy?

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > dc.nzgames.co.nz is up, but is this address still blocked to
    > international traffic ? No kidding about this...

    thanks...

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    XPD Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:18:55 +1300, "Worm" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hmmm, so it is...
    > >
    > >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >> anyone know anything about it?

    > Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    > Too much bandwidth.
    > nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    > box).
    >
    > best
    > Warwick

    Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    XPD, Nov 23, 2003
  11. XPD wrote:
    > "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:18:55 +1300, "Worm" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm, so it is...
    >>>
    >>> "T.N.O." <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>>

    >> Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    >> Too much bandwidth.
    >> nzdc and the bubbledome have both gone (they were hosted on the same
    >> box).
    >>
    >> best
    >> Warwick
    >>

    > Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    > The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    Yup, but a lot of chat lines and connection requests go through the hub. If
    you have n people in the hub, and one person sends a message b bytes that's
    b*n bytes. If 50 people are connected all day (12 hours), and each person
    sends a message every 20 seconds which is 30 bytes long...

    ((60*60*12)/20)*50*30

    That's 3240000 bytes per day (3240mb... or 3.24gigs).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 23, 2003
  12. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > That's 3240000 bytes per day (3240mb... or 3.24gigs).

    Oops.. that should actually be 3.24 megabytes per day, (25.92 megabits). :).
    Only about a gigabit per month.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 23, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    XPD wrote:
    >>Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    >>Too much bandwidth.

    > Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    > The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    for the chat apparently, although I could keep up with it on dialup, so
    Im not really sure how that could be the reason.

    T.N.O., Nov 23, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    >>The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    > Yup, but a lot of chat lines and connection requests go through the hub. If
    > you have n people in the hub, and one person sends a message b bytes that's
    > b*n bytes. If 50 people are connected all day (12 hours), and each person
    > sends a message every 20 seconds which is 30 bytes long...
    > ((60*60*12)/20)*50*30
    > That's 3240000 bytes per day

    correct me if Im wrong, but that is **** all. Sounds like a cover up...
    I kept up with the chat 24x7 and thats on dialup...

    T.N.O., Nov 23, 2003
  15. T.N.O. wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>> Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    >>> The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    >> Yup, but a lot of chat lines and connection requests go through the
    >> hub. If you have n people in the hub, and one person sends a message
    >> b bytes that's b*n bytes. If 50 people are connected all day (12
    >> hours), and each person sends a message every 20 seconds which is 30
    >> bytes long... ((60*60*12)/20)*50*30
    >> That's 3240000 bytes per day

    > correct me if Im wrong, but that is **** all. Sounds like a cover
    > up... I kept up with the chat 24x7 and thats on dialup...

    They're probably under pressure from RIAA and other dickhead organisations.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 23, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    Warwick Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:03:28 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >>>Yup, Orcon removed the hosting service.
    >>>Too much bandwidth.

    >> Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    >> The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    >for the chat apparently, although I could keep up with it on dialup, so
    >Im not really sure how that could be the reason.

    I asked the Op again, he said approx 1 kBps per person.
    I queried Bytes? surely you mean bits? he said Bytes.

    Hes gonna ask Phantom for the exact stats and pass them on, I'll post
    them soon as I know.

    There were some flooding attacks in dcnz in the week prior, one was a
    shocker and would have pushed that figure way way up.

    Maybe that was a factor, the hub software doesn't really provide
    protection against malicious users.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Nov 23, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    samg Guest

    Warwick <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:03:28 +1300, "T.N.O."
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Im sorry... too much bandwidth for running a hub ????? :-/
    >>> The files themselves arent going thru the hub.

    >>for the chat apparently, although I could keep up with it on dialup, so
    >>Im not really sure how that could be the reason.

    > I asked the Op again, he said approx 1 kBps per person.
    > I queried Bytes? surely you mean bits? he said Bytes.
    >
    > Hes gonna ask Phantom for the exact stats and pass them on, I'll post
    > them soon as I know.
    >
    > There were some flooding attacks in dcnz in the week prior, one was a
    > shocker and would have pushed that figure way way up.
    >
    > Maybe that was a factor, the hub software doesn't really provide
    > protection against malicious users.
    >
    > cheers
    > Warwick

    cant they setup a hub with chat disabled?

    samg, Nov 23, 2003
  18. samg wrote:

    > cant they setup a hub with chat disabled?

    But that's half the reason most people visit them.. :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 23, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>cant they setup a hub with chat disabled?

    > But that's half the reason most people visit them.. :)

    Chat is that interesting?

    T.N.O., Nov 24, 2003
  20. T.N.O. wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>> cant they setup a hub with chat disabled?

    >> But that's half the reason most people visit them.. :)
    >>

    > Chat is that interesting?

    Heard of "IRC"?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock