  1. Fido

    Fido Guest

    How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    Fido, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Fido

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Fido

    Michael Guest

    In <news:bfjq1r$6dd$>,
    Fido said:

    > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    Easy: if you can find it in a legitimate music store anywhere, chances are
    pretty good someone owns a copyright on it and it's illegal to possess a
    copy of it without their permission.

    Technically, that means less than 1 in 1000 of the music files you're likely
    to find on any p2p trading system are legal to download.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Fido

    paul s Guest

    Fido wrote:

    > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    If it's thru Kazaa or something, then just about all of them will be
    illegal. Legal content can be had from sites like www.mp3.com, as this has
    permission of the copyright owners.

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Fido

    HamMan Guest

    "Fido" <> wrote in message
    > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    If you are using kazaa, the files with gold icons are legal (and you usally
    have to pay for them) everything else is illegal

    HamMan, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Fido

    JM Guest

    Fido wrote:
    > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    Do a websearch for the artist you want to download.
    www.google.com or other search engines.
    Find the "official" site for that artists and see
    what their statement is or post your question in the
    artist's message boards if they have one. Some artists
    have set free many of their songs for p2p sharing.
    comes to mind. Also many other artists
    have released many of their live versions of songs
    on their websites. Other artists have stated on
    mp3.com that their songs on mp3.com are free to
    share on p2p. Some artists have their entire song
    collection on their websites as they are just
    starting out and love the exposure. However, if
    you can't find an artists "official site" then
    it is safe to assume that their songs are indeed
    still copyrighted and you shouldn't grab them
    unless you have already purchased it at some point.

    Some cd stores have listening stations however
    and so it could be ethically possible for you
    to download a song and listen to it and if you
    like it. Then you should go buy it. If you don't
    like it, then delete it from your hard drive.

    Do your own research on artists you like.
    Do research on laws in your country about this.

    Some countries are ok with sharing tv shows with
    p2p as long as the ads are intact. Other countries
    seem to currently not care about p2p at all.

    JM

    JM, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Fido

    Fido Guest

    Would most Big Band music still be copyrighted?.... not much interested in
    any live musicians.

    Fido, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Fido

    paul s Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:44:11 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > "paul s" <> wrote in message
    >> Fido wrote:
    >>
    >> > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    >> If it's thru Kazaa or something, then just about all of them will be
    >> illegal. Legal content can be had from sites like www.mp3.com, as this has
    >> permission of the copyright owners.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul S

    > And they don't have jack shit in the way of original music by original
    > artists as in "oldies".
    > All they have is shit music by groups you've never heard of.

    I actually found some of them to be quite good, And I use it to discover
    stuff I've never heard before.
    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jul 23, 2003

  9. >> > How are we supposed to know which songs are illegal to download?......

    If it is on a P2P network... 99.9% chance that it is...

    >> www.mp3.com
    >> www.mp3.com.au
    >> http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=12563
    >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/nighthawknz.htm
    >> http://www.soundclick.com

    > Would most Big Band music still be copyrighted?.... not much interested
    > in any live musicians.

    Many of the big bands have some music on these sites... but don't expect to
    have the complete album... many one or two songs from each each album.

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 23, 2003