p2p KaZaA lite & linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux
    computer, now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old

    now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules

    on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
    machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page
    for KaZaA shows up,

    Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
    It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.

    After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa
    from Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    Krazy Bob Guest

    why not use kazaa lite?
    or use e-mule or limewire?

    Krazy Bob, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux computer,
    > now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old
    >
    > now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules
    >
    > on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
    > machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page for
    > KaZaA shows up,
    >
    > Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
    > It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.
    >

    > After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa from
    > Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

    Hi Robert
    Kazaa runs on port 1214 by default, so for troubleshooting I would
    recommend you use tcpdump
    #tcpdump port 1214
    this should show you traffic, and which direction it is headed
    Presumably you should watch the traffic on the firewall, to see if it is
    indeed coming in on the ext_if, and then to double check that that traffic
    is then routed to int_if
    There are other P2P programs that work natively on Linux, Ubuntu for
    example comes with a bittorrent app, Ive looked at a java based client for
    the gnutella network etc, etc
    Between you and I, I'd drop wine, and stick to running windows apps on
    windows, and find suitable apps native to your OS sourceforge and
    freshmeat should be more than helpful in that regard

    HTH

    Shane, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux
    > computer, now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old

    Forget kazaa. Truly.

    Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
    people on it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #262417 +(4366)- [X]

    <_kr4m3r> so many fucking criminals, its bullshit
    <foniks`> heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and
    just left them there to die
    <foniks`> and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
    <foniks`> whatd u think they'd say?
    <FoSZoR[bg]> something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 24/07/2005 1:08:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Forget kazaa. Truly.
    >
    > Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
    > people on it.

    Does it use the same network as edonkey?

    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Robert Cooze

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:34:49 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Forget kazaa. Truly.
    >>
    >> Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
    >> people on it.

    > Does it use the same network as edonkey?

    Yes, but the emule client is better.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #5775 +(8483)- [X]

    * ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
    being an asshole -
    <ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/07/2005 12:01:13 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 24, 2005
  7. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Yes, but the emule client is better.

    Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
    really slowly.

    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  8. Robert Cooze

    H.O.G Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:56:42 +1200, Richard <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, but the emule client is better.

    >Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
    >really slowly.

    Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    just go straight to Bittorrent?

    H.O.G, Jul 24, 2005
  9. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    > just go straight to Bittorrent?

    Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
    I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
    is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  10. Robert Cooze

    H.O.G Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    >> just go straight to Bittorrent?

    >Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
    >I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
    >is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

    Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:

    http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=327691&query=hustle

    Or Season 1, Episode 2?

    http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=320343&query=hustle

    H.O.G, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux computer,
    >>now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old
    >>
    >>now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules
    >>
    >>on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
    >>machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page for
    >>KaZaA shows up,
    >>
    >>Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
    >> It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.
    >>

    >>After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa from
    >>Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

    > Hi Robert
    > Kazaa runs on port 1214 by default, so for troubleshooting I would
    > recommend you use tcpdump
    > #tcpdump port 1214
    > this should show you traffic, and which direction it is headed
    > Presumably you should watch the traffic on the firewall, to see if it is
    > indeed coming in on the ext_if, and then to double check that that traffic
    > is then routed to int_if
    > There are other P2P programs that work natively on Linux, Ubuntu for
    > example comes with a bittorrent app, Ive looked at a java based client for
    > the gnutella network etc, etc
    > Between you and I, I'd drop wine, and stick to running windows apps on
    > windows, and find suitable apps native to your OS sourceforge and
    > freshmeat should be more than helpful in that regard
    >
    > HTH

    This year I am going to be dropping windows.There are a few apps that I
    have baught that are in my must have (they seem to work fine under wine)
    the Kazaa thing is a big test (& the wife likes it), I was thinking of
    trying plex myself. no decisions have been made yet on what I am going
    to do. I will check what I am getting out from in port 1214.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <> spoke
    > these fine words:
    >

    >>H.O.G wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    >>>just go straight to Bittorrent?

    >>Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
    >>I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
    >>is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

    > Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:
    >
    > http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=327691&query=hustle
    >
    > Or Season 1, Episode 2?
    >
    > http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=320343&query=hustle

    Well wil be looking at the sugestions put here, as for what I want to
    get is Old Music arround the early 1940'to late 50's. TV progs take too
    long on dialup :)

    woops the Micky$oft patent

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <> spoke
    > these fine words:
    >

    >>H.O.G wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    >>>just go straight to Bittorrent?

    >>Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
    >>I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
    >>is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

    > Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:
    >
    > http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=327691&query=hustle

    Yes, and that one is the one I was trying, has 1 seed, and they arent
    connectable by me. Its on tv soon and I have had all the others sitting here
    downloaded for some time but for ep 2, would rather not watch 2/3s of it on nz tv.

    > Or Season 1, Episode 2?
    >
    > http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=320343&query=hustle

    Hmmm, I think I have just found 6 more things for the download queue/

    Richard, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Robert Cooze

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:56:42 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, but the emule client is better.

    >Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
    >really slowly.

    Yes Emule is way way better.

    Tony, Jul 25, 2005
  15. Robert Cooze

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
    >> just go straight to Bittorrent?

    > Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
    > I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
    > is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

    Also, emule has NO spyware in it.

    'hog' obviously knows little about it.

    --

    .... Brendan