    Funny to watch.

    It's only there because I forgot to delete it....and now it's still there
    because I'm fascinated by the volume and global interest.
    steve, Sep 29, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >I share a few files via gnutella. Mainly public domain sound files of famous
    >speeches (Gandhi, Churchill, etc..) and a few captured TV videos of
    >interviews of famous people (Chomsky on BBC, etc,)....stuff of political,
    >social, philosophical or historical interest.
    >
    >But I do have one file on there that is just plain old teevee - Season 4,
    >Episode 14 of Star Trek "Enterprise"...and that file accounts for 70% of
    >downloads.
    >
    >They queue up for days to get it.

    In other words, your ratings are pretty much consistent with those
    reported by commercial TV stations.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>I share a few files via gnutella. Mainly public domain sound files of
    >>famous speeches (Gandhi, Churchill, etc..) and a few captured TV videos of
    >>interviews of famous people (Chomsky on BBC, etc,)....stuff of political,
    >>social, philosophical or historical interest.
    >>
    >>But I do have one file on there that is just plain old teevee - Season 4,
    >>Episode 14 of Star Trek "Enterprise"...and that file accounts for 70% of
    >>downloads.
    >>
    >>They queue up for days to get it.

    > In other words, your ratings are pretty much consistent with those
    > reported by commercial TV stations.

    In Guatemala and Estonia.. :)
    steve, Sep 29, 2005
  4. steve

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > I share a few files via gnutella. Mainly public domain sound files of
    > famous speeches (Gandhi, Churchill, etc..) and a few captured TV videos of
    > interviews of famous people (Chomsky on BBC, etc,)....stuff of political,
    > social, philosophical or historical interest.
    >
    > But I do have one file on there that is just plain old teevee - Season 4,
    > Episode 14 of Star Trek "Enterprise"...and that file accounts for 70% of
    > downloads.
    >
    > They queue up for days to get it.
    >
    > Funny to watch.
    >
    > It's only there because I forgot to delete it....and now it's still there
    > because I'm fascinated by the volume and global interest.

    What's the legality of sharing copyrighted information like this?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 30, 2005
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> I share a few files via gnutella. Mainly public domain sound files of
    >> famous speeches (Gandhi, Churchill, etc..) and a few captured TV videos
    >> of interviews of famous people (Chomsky on BBC, etc,)....stuff of
    >> political, social, philosophical or historical interest.
    >>
    >> But I do have one file on there that is just plain old teevee - Season 4,
    >> Episode 14 of Star Trek "Enterprise"...and that file accounts for 70% of
    >> downloads.
    >>
    >> They queue up for days to get it.
    >>
    >> Funny to watch.
    >>
    >> It's only there because I forgot to delete it....and now it's still there
    >> because I'm fascinated by the volume and global interest.

    > What's the legality of sharing copyrighted information like this?
    >
    > Allistar.

    Probably the same as making backup copies of your CDs in case you scratch
    them.
    steve, Oct 2, 2005
  6. steve

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> I share a few files via gnutella. Mainly public domain sound files of
    >>> famous speeches (Gandhi, Churchill, etc..) and a few captured TV videos
    >>> of interviews of famous people (Chomsky on BBC, etc,)....stuff of
    >>> political, social, philosophical or historical interest.
    >>>
    >>> But I do have one file on there that is just plain old teevee - Season
    >>> 4, Episode 14 of Star Trek "Enterprise"...and that file accounts for 70%
    >>> of downloads.
    >>>
    >>> They queue up for days to get it.
    >>>
    >>> Funny to watch.
    >>>
    >>> It's only there because I forgot to delete it....and now it's still
    >>> there because I'm fascinated by the volume and global interest.

    >> What's the legality of sharing copyrighted information like this?
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Probably the same as making backup copies of your CDs in case you scratch
    > them.

    Surely that only applies if you have paid for the CD's in the first place?
    When you download a Star Trek episode that is not the case.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 2, 2005
  7. steve

    Richard Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    >>Probably the same as making backup copies of your CDs in case you scratch
    >>them.

    > Surely that only applies if you have paid for the CD's in the first place?
    > When you download a Star Trek episode that is not the case.

    Do you think that making a backup of your CDs is legal or something?
    Richard, Oct 2, 2005
  8. steve

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 05:11:57 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    >>> Surely that only applies if you have paid for the CD's in the first
    >>> place? When you download a Star Trek episode that is not the case.

    >>Do you think that making a backup of your CDs is legal or something?

    > Recording TV programs on your VCR also isnt legal

    Didnt they change that law recently (circa the last 6 - 12 months)
    so you can now legally make backups of cds etc

    Shane, Oct 3, 2005
  9. steve

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Oct 3, 2005
  10. steve

    Allistar Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >>>Probably the same as making backup copies of your CDs in case you scratch
    >>>them.

    >> Surely that only applies if you have paid for the CD's in the first
    >> place? When you download a Star Trek episode that is not the case.

    > Do you think that making a backup of your CDs is legal or something?

    If it's allowed for in the license agreement that comes with the software,
    then yes, it is legal. That assumes of course that you have accepted the
    license agreement.

    Is there any "fair use" in NZ yet?

    It seems odd to me that in a country where format shifting CD's to be played
    back on an Ipod (or similar Sony device) is illegal, that the devices
    themselves - which are blatently sold to break the law - are legal. It's
    not like they suggest you only copy your own original pieces of music onto
    these things.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 3, 2005
  11. steve

    Richard Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Didnt they change that law recently (circa the last 6 - 12 months)
    > so you can now legally make backups of cds etc

    no, they talked of it and the recording industry cried foul and nothing happened
    Richard, Oct 3, 2005