    There isn't a policy against using P2P, it just seems that nobody is
    able to use these programs on campus. I'd appreciate any input.

    -Onesec

    OneSec, Nov 24, 2005

  2. OneSec

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    OneSec <> wrote:

    > There isn't a policy against using P2P

    Are you in a country that has a law against theft?

    Or are you going to claim you were just going to download things that
    are free anyway?

    Mitch, Nov 24, 2005

  3. OneSec

    OneSec Guest

    Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I hope you have some family or
    friends to help soothe that attitude. God bless.

    OneSec, Nov 24, 2005
  4. OneSec

    M Guest

    Using P2P software can be the fastest way to be kicked out of college. If
    the college allow students to share copyright material in this way they
    could be sued so they have to safeguard themselves.

    M, Nov 24, 2005
  5. OneSec

    Frank Guest

    "OneSec" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a college student and I would like to use a file-sharing P2P
    > program, but it seems that the network has some sort of system in place
    > to prevent this. See, what happens is that when I use any filesharing
    > program I am able to search for files, but the file transfer never
    > starts. Am I pretty much just screwed or is there anything I can try?
    > There isn't a policy against using P2P, it just seems that nobody is
    > able to use these programs on campus. I'd appreciate any input.
    >
    > -Onesec

    Using P2P on most campuses in the USA is forbidden. Check your dorm sign off
    sheet. It's in there. If you violate the policy you're out of school. And no
    refunds for what you paid for. Also if schools allowed P2P in their systems.
    The sheer load of downloading would crash their networks. They would allways
    being going down. Then no one would benefit from a high speed network at
    college.

    Frank

    Frank, Nov 24, 2005
  6. OneSec

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-24, OneSec <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a college student and I would like to use a file-sharing P2P
    > program, but it seems that the network has some sort of system in place
    > to prevent this. See, what happens is that when I use any filesharing
    > program I am able to search for files, but the file transfer never
    > starts. Am I pretty much just screwed or is there anything I can try?
    > There isn't a policy against using P2P, it just seems that nobody is
    > able to use these programs on campus. I'd appreciate any input.
    >
    > -Onesec

    Ask the administrator of the network.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 24, 2005
  7. OneSec

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    OneSec spewed forth:
    > Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I hope you have some family or
    > friends to help soothe that attitude. God bless.

    His attitude is fine. And correct. Typical use of P2P networks has been for
    sharing software, digital media, etc. that is copyrighted. Not a good thing
    from the perspective of the college. Not to mention it's illegal and
    unethical.

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  8. OneSec

    Ish Taylor Guest

    --

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > OneSec spewed forth:
    > > Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I hope you have some family or
    > > friends to help soothe that attitude. God bless.

    > His attitude is fine. And correct. Typical use of P2P networks has been

    for
    > sharing software, digital media, etc. that is copyrighted. Not a good

    thing
    > from the perspective of the college. Not to mention it's illegal and
    > unethical.

    Tim, do you consider BitTorrent file sharing?

    Ish Taylor, Nov 25, 2005
  9. OneSec

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:wguhf.13844$Mi5.2421@dukeread07,
    Ish Taylor spewed forth:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> OneSec spewed forth:
    >>> Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I hope you have some family or
    >>> friends to help soothe that attitude. God bless.

    >> His attitude is fine. And correct. Typical use of P2P networks has
    >> been for sharing software, digital media, etc. that is copyrighted.
    >> Not a good thing from the perspective of the college. Not to mention
    >> it's illegal and unethical.
    >>

    > Tim, do you consider BitTorrent file sharing?

    Yes. There is no problem with P2P or file sharing, *if* the content being
    shared is not covered by copyrights or the copyright specifically allows it
    to be freely distributed.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  10. OneSec

    Mitch Guest

    In article <wguhf.13844$Mi5.2421@dukeread07>, Ish Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > Tim, do you consider BitTorrent file sharing?

    It's obviously file sharing.
    The term doesn't have to mean illicit sharing, but often people use it
    as a short cut; you have figure out whether they are talking about
    illicit activity or not.

    Magazines and industry pundits have talked about how Torrents are great
    technology for file sharing. That alone should never be construed as
    suggesting that anyone should use it for material you were supposed to
    purchase, and it definitely doesn't mean that anyone condones it or
    those people do it themselves.

    Mitch, Nov 25, 2005
  11. OneSec

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:241120051720018617%,
    Mitch spewed forth:
    > In article <wguhf.13844$Mi5.2421@dukeread07>, Ish Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim, do you consider BitTorrent file sharing?

    > It's obviously file sharing.
    > The term doesn't have to mean illicit sharing, but often people use it
    > as a short cut; you have figure out whether they are talking about
    > illicit activity or not.
    >
    > Magazines and industry pundits have talked about how Torrents are
    > great technology for file sharing. That alone should never be
    > construed as suggesting that anyone should use it for material you
    > were supposed to purchase, and it definitely doesn't mean that anyone
    > condones it or those people do it themselves.

    You mean I have to stop download "Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers"
    music? Drat it all!

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  12. OneSec

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Ksvhf.509$>, Toolman Tim
    <> wrote:

    > You mean I have to stop download "Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers"
    > music? Drat it all!

    Actually, I suspect anyone that owns the rights to that might
    appreciate the attention.
    Could you even find that at retail?

    I remember how long I had to wait for my favorite Thin Lizzy album to
    be released on CD; I can't guess where I'd have gone to look for Roy
    Rogers.

    Mitch, Nov 25, 2005
  13. OneSec

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:241120051739228287%,
    Mitch spewed forth:
    > In article <Ksvhf.509$>, Toolman Tim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You mean I have to stop download "Roy Rogers and the Sons of the
    >> Pioneers" music? Drat it all!

    > Actually, I suspect anyone that owns the rights to that might
    > appreciate the attention.
    > Could you even find that at retail?
    >
    > I remember how long I had to wait for my favorite Thin Lizzy album to
    > be released on CD; I can't guess where I'd have gone to look for Roy
    > Rogers.

    Heh heh - I don't know if the family or some corporation holds copyrights or
    not. I really haven't looked into buying any - but they came to mind as I
    spent my holiday today with Mom, who grew up loving that cowboy/western
    music. I think she'd get a kick out of a nice collection <g>

    I recently went to Amazon.com and ordered Moody Blues' "Days of Future
    Passed". Crank that up in my car and I feel like a teenager again :)

    --
    Get real - you can't put a bunch of football players on a boat, call them
    Vikings, and not expect them to rape and pillage!

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  14. OneSec

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <wguhf.13844$Mi5.2421@dukeread07>, Ish Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Tim, do you consider BitTorrent file sharing?

    > It's obviously file sharing.
    > The term doesn't have to mean illicit sharing, but often people use it
    > as a short cut; you have figure out whether they are talking about
    > illicit activity or not.
    >
    > Magazines and industry pundits have talked about how Torrents are great
    > technology for file sharing. That alone should never be construed as
    > suggesting that anyone should use it for material you were supposed to
    > purchase, and it definitely doesn't mean that anyone condones it or
    > those people do it themselves.

    The OP said "I would like to use a file-sharing P2P program". He did not
    say anything about theft or illegal downloading, yet you assumed that he was
    going to do something illegal and/or unethical. My point is that P2P is a
    very good thing in some circumstances.
    I.E. downloading a Linux distro from Novell, etc. and probably should not be
    discouraged.

    http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/ftp/mirrors_isos.html
    "Downloading large files:
    Downloading large files such as iso-images sometimes causes problems.
    snip

    BitTorrent
    BitTorrent is an open-source application designed for sharing large
    software and media files. You can find detailed information and instructions
    on the Official BitTorrent Web Page.
    BitTorrent clients are available for several platforms. You can find
    links to some BitTorrent clients on the Official BitTorrent Web Page."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_torrent#How_BitTorrent_works

    --
    The preceding message represents personal opinions
    and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not.

    Ish Taylor, Nov 25, 2005
  15. OneSec

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-25, Ish Taylor <> wrote:

    snip

    > The OP said "I would like to use a file-sharing P2P program". He did not
    > say anything about theft or illegal downloading, yet you assumed that he was
    > going to do something illegal and/or unethical. My point is that P2P is a
    > very good thing in some circumstances.
    > I.E. downloading a Linux distro from Novell, etc. and probably should not be
    > discouraged.

    snip

    Linux distros can also be downloaded via FTP, or bought by mail-order.
    The University may even have a local 'mirror' of its own, for one or more
    distros, if there is a Linux fan on the IT department staff. There are
    likely to be 'approved' means of getting any software or data that the
    University think are reasonable or legitimate for members to want, and
    special requests should be considered.

    The problem with P2P networks is controlling both the volume and
    "legitimacy" of the traffic. A potential nightmare for a business or
    academic network admin.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 25, 2005
  16. OneSec

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Whiskers spewed forth:
    > On 2005-11-25, Ish Taylor <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> The OP said "I would like to use a file-sharing P2P program". He
    >> did not say anything about theft or illegal downloading, yet you
    >> assumed that he was going to do something illegal and/or unethical.
    >> My point is that P2P is a very good thing in some circumstances.
    >> I.E. downloading a Linux distro from Novell, etc. and probably
    >> should not be discouraged.

    > snip
    >
    > Linux distros can also be downloaded via FTP, or bought by mail-order.
    > The University may even have a local 'mirror' of its own, for one or
    > more distros, if there is a Linux fan on the IT department staff.
    > There are likely to be 'approved' means of getting any software or
    > data that the University think are reasonable or legitimate for
    > members to want, and special requests should be considered.
    >
    > The problem with P2P networks is controlling both the volume and
    > "legitimacy" of the traffic. A potential nightmare for a business or
    > academic network admin.

    Which is, of course, the reason it's blocked at most workplaces, schools,
    etc.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  17. OneSec

    Keme Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2005-11-24, OneSec <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >> I am a college student and I would like to use a file-sharing P2P
    >>program, but it seems that the network has some sort of system in place
    >>to prevent this. See, what happens is that when I use any filesharing
    >>program I am able to search for files, but the file transfer never
    >>starts. Am I pretty much just screwed or is there anything I can try?
    >>There isn't a policy against using P2P, it just seems that nobody is
    >>able to use these programs on campus. I'd appreciate any input.
    >>
    >> -Onesec

    > Ask the administrator of the network.

    He must already have asked an admin, right? After all, he states that
    there is no policy against p2p, so he must have consulted some
    authority, and the admin is the obvious choice... (-::

    Seriously, the self appointed "experts" in the student body are a
    nightmare when it comes to network administration. An example: Many
    pupils at our school insist that our WLAN is not affected by ad-hoc
    networks, when every piece of evidence indicates it is. Our "experts"
    base their statements on experience with one home access point and two
    or three laptops, and transfer their "knowledge" to high density, low
    power access points serving hundreds of computers.

    And of course the many claiming that their p2p clients can't be harming
    network performance, because "KaZaa won't work on the network anyway".

    Add those to the "hard core" in destructive networking:
    - creating short lifespan Adhoc-networks with BSSID identical to the
    school SSID to interfere with normal association/roaming, or
    - constantly changing MAC just to vacuum the DHCP scopes, or
    - doing repeated SNMPwalk requests to the APs (effectively DoS), or
    - ... .

    Makes my head boil sometimes.

    I haven't had anyone kicked out yet, but some are close. Gathering
    evidence...

    Keme, Nov 25, 2005
  18. OneSec

    Mitch Guest

    In article <VWvhf.511$>, Toolman Tim
    <> wrote:

    > I recently went to Amazon.com and ordered Moody Blues' "Days of Future
    > Passed". Crank that up in my car and I feel like a teenager again :)

    White Album for me; so many great pieces on that.

    Mitch, Nov 25, 2005
  19. OneSec

    Trax Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |>I recently went to Amazon.com and ordered Moody Blues' "Days of Future
    |>Passed". Crank that up in my car and I feel like a teenager again :)

    Timothy leary is finally dead :) been singing of it for years on that
    album...

    --
    Black Friday Deals
    http://locker.uky.edu/~pmdent2/blackfriday.htm

    Trax, Nov 25, 2005
  20. OneSec

    Mitch Guest

    In article <a8xhf.13858$Mi5.5814@dukeread07>, Ish Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > The OP said "I would like to use a file-sharing P2P program". He did not
    > say anything about theft or illegal downloading, yet you assumed that he was
    > going to do something illegal and/or unethical. My point is that P2P is a
    > very good thing in some circumstances.

    Actually, I asked if he was talking about legal uses.

    In either case, he was asking how to get around something his
    university tried to block -- not really a good foundation for the
    presumption of innocent intent.

    It's at least good that people recognize it isn't the software that is
    the problem. Many industries seem to be stuck believing that.

    Mitch, Nov 25, 2005