P-t-P T1 problem - nasty ping times under use

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
    the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
    circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
    SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
    don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!

    Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
    this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
    I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
    my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.

    Thanks in advance for helping out!!

    Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]: no

    Router> enable
    Router# config t
    Router(config)# hostname (what you want to name the router)
    Router(config)# enable secret (what you want the "enable" password to
    be)
    Router(config)# end

    Router# config t
    Router(config)# interface fastethernet0
    Router(config-if)# ip address <LAN address> <subnet mask>
    Router(config-if)# ip helper-address (DHCP, DNS, WINS servers one at a
    time, not required, only on remote routers)
    Router(config-if)# no shutdown
    Router(config-if)# end

    Router# config t
    Router(config)# interface serial0
    Router(config-if)# ip address <WAN address> <subnet mask>
    Router(config-if)# encapsulation ppp
    Router(config-if)# clockrate 64000 (host router only)
    Router(config-if)# no cdp enable
    Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source internal (host
    router only)
    Router(config-if)# service-module t1 clock source line (remote router
    only)
    Router(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 24 speed 64
    Router(config-if)# service-module t1 framing esf
    Router(config-if)# service-module t1 linecode b8zs
    Router(config-if)# fair que (older IOS may only be "fair")
    Router(config-if)# no shutdown
    Router(config-if)# end

    Router# config t
    Router(config)# ip route <other LAN IP> <subnet mask> <other Serial
    IP> <metric> permanent
    Router(config)# end

    Router# config t
    Router(config)# line con 0
    Router(config)# password <console password>
    Router(config)# login
    Router(config)# line aux 0
    Router(config)# line vty 0 4
    Router(config)# password <telnet password>
    Router(config)# login
    Router(config)# end

    Router# write memory
    Router# reload

    Doug, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I thought I would add that I'm getting lots of errors on the serial
    interface: In less than 24 hours of use...

    48243 input error
    2970 CRC error
    21406 frame
    23866 abort

    Doug, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Here's the Cisco document I used as a base...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094504.shtml

    --
    REMOVE the indicated text from the reply
    address.

    Doug, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Doug

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
    > the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
    > circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
    > SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
    > don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
    >
    > Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
    > this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
    > I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
    > my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.

    Why are you setting the clock rate to 64Kbps? Either let the telco
    provide the clock and have everyone learn it from the line, or crank up
    your clockrate.

    Any you also have way too many errors on the interface.

    Go to Cisco.com and search for "WAN Troubleshooting" article in the
    Packet magazine. I believe it was in the Dec 02 issue.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Doug

    Doug Guest

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Got an SBC point-to-point T1. If I have no traffic going across it,
    > > the ping times are about 20ms, a little high but OK. But when the
    > > circuit starts getting any use, the ping times jump to 200-300-400ms.
    > > SBC says the circuit tests fine, and this is my first p-t-p so I
    > > don't have enough experience with the config to say it's not my fault!
    > >
    > > Here's the router config taken from my cheet sheet. I got most of
    > > this from a Cisco "how to setup point to point T1" white paper, sorry
    > > I don't have the exact article number in front of me. I made this for
    > > my co-workers use, that why all of the notes.
    > >

    > Why are you setting the clock rate to 64Kbps? Either let the telco
    > provide the clock and have everyone learn it from the line, or crank up
    > your clockrate.

    That's what the Cisco sheet had, but I upped it to 2M yesterday, I can't
    tell if it helped but I don't think so. I thought that I had to provide
    the clock source on one end??

    > Any you also have way too many errors on the interface.
    >
    > Go to Cisco.com and search for "WAN Troubleshooting" article in the
    > Packet magazine. I believe it was in the Dec 02 issue.

    Thanks, will do. Also got the Troubleshooting Serial Line Problems
    document to look at...

    Doug, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Re: P-t-P T1 problem - nasty ping times under use - CORRECTION

    The erros must have been from the setup process. I cleared the
    counters and the errors have remained at 0 for all.

    Doug, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Just a follow up & give more info on my troubleshooting steps....

    Upped the clock rate to 2M & 4M on the "host" router, no change.
    Changed clock source to line on both routers, no change.

    I had mentioned a ton of errors, but after clearing the counters I
    have not had any more errors. Those must have come from the setup
    period.

    I have done extended pings with all 0's & 1's, all successfull.

    Telco says the circuit is OK.

    Doug, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Doug

    David Guest

    You should use the Telco clock, as that is the one that they use.

    David, Jan 16, 2004
  9. The clockrate command you have is going to be ignored because you are
    the DTE on both sides of this T1. Best to just remove it. Also best
    to change the clock source to line in both cases.

    Why are you using PPP? If you have Cisco on both sides, just stick
    with the default HDLC.

    Mike

    Mike Gallagher, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Re: P-t-P T1 problem - nasty ping times under use - RESOLVED

    Removed the clock rate
    Set clock source to "line" on both routers
    And most of all... timeslots should be "1-24" not just "24" (bad Cisco
    white-paper, bad bad!!!)

    Pinging at 4ms now, <10 under load!!

    Doug, Jan 17, 2004