P.T. Barnum selling on eBay...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Roberts, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Mark Roberts, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Mark Roberts

    Charlie Self Guest

    Charlie Self, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    news:s472c.29421$...
    > No comment:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535
    >
    > --
    > Mark Roberts
    > Photography and writing
    > www.robertstech.com

    Was it Barnum or Bush who said that 'There's a Sucker born very minute'?

    Seriously, why on earth isn't that scabby assed ebay scam-meisters paradise
    closed down?

    I've lost count of the number of sellers that I've heard gloating about how
    easy it is to make money on ebay, and how gullible the buyers can be.

    Free market, and all that - but sometimes people need protecting from
    themselves.

    Gambler, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

    >Mark Roberts writes:
    >
    >>No comment:
    >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535

    >Yeah, well. Seems to me P.T. Barnum promised more than he delivered.

    Perhaps. But he only charged 25 cents for it!
    (He denied ever saying "There's a sucker born every minute" and said "I
    never took anyone's life savings, I took their twenty-five cents".)

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Mark Roberts

    Rick Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message news:s472c.29421$...
    > No comment:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535

    To the seller's credit, they have 3400+ feedbacks with 100%
    positive rating (NOT an easy thing to do on eBay, because
    of airhead/newbie bidders), and they did add a specific
    disclaimer to the ad.

    It appears a few people out there are willing to pay $200 for
    a Rebel box and printed manual.

    Rick

    Rick, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Mark Roberts

    Howard Guest

    AMAZING.......

    perhaps the high bidder, after seeing what is delivered, will make a
    "pinhole" camera out of the box!
    read my signature line...........kinda sums it up!

    In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

    Howard, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Mark Roberts, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Mark Roberts

    Howard Guest

    he is aware of the bidding, hence the disclaimer of ONLY a box and stuff

    NOTHING is safe to throw away any more......Thank you EBAY!

    Howard, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > he is aware of the bidding, hence the disclaimer of ONLY a box and stuff
    >
    > NOTHING is safe to throw away any more......Thank you EBAY!
    >

    > --
    >
    > In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    > THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

    Well, presumably, when the bidder realises that the box is empty (hopefully
    before he parts with his cash) he can just tell the vendor to get stuffed?

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Mark Roberts

    Charlie Self Guest

    Gambler states:

    >"Howard" <> wrote in message
    >> he is aware of the bidding, hence the disclaimer of ONLY a box and stuff
    >>
    >> NOTHING is safe to throw away any more......Thank you EBAY!
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    >> THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!
    >>

    >Well, presumably, when the bidder realises that the box is empty (hopefully
    >before he parts with his cash) he can just tell the vendor to get stuffed?

    Why? He is paying for exactly what is described.

    Charlie Self
    "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain

    Charlie Self, Mar 6, 2004
  11. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Gambler states:
    >
    > >"Howard" <> wrote in message
    > >> he is aware of the bidding, hence the disclaimer of ONLY a box and

    stuff

    > >> NOTHING is safe to throw away any more......Thank you EBAY!
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    > >> THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!
    > >>

    > >Well, presumably, when the bidder realises that the box is empty

    (hopefully
    > >before he parts with his cash) he can just tell the vendor to get

    stuffed?

    > Why? He is paying for exactly what is described.

    ________

    We can assume one of two things here:

    1] The bidder has made a mistake,

    [2] The bidder is mentally ill.

    In neither case is it moral to take advantage of him (Her)

    Perhaps I should go and bid it up in order to save him (her)?

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  12. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Gambler" <> wrote in message

    > We can assume one of two things here:
    >
    > 1] The bidder has made a mistake,
    >
    > [2] The bidder is mentally ill.

    _________

    Forget the third possibility -

    The bidder is an eccentric Millionaire who collects empty cardboard
    boxes.......

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  13. Mark Roberts

    Mark B. Guest

    > No comment:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535
    >
    > --
    > Mark Roberts
    > Photography and writing
    > www.robertstech.com

    I see no problem here - it's clearly described as an empty box & manuals, no
    hardware. The only problem I see is for the seller, who would have to
    wonder if he's actually going to get the money. Why someone would bid that
    up to $200 is beyond me, but to each his own.

    Mark

    Mark B., Mar 6, 2004
  14. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > > No comment:
    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mark Roberts
    > > Photography and writing
    > > www.robertstech.com

    > I see no problem here - it's clearly described as an empty box & manuals,

    no
    > hardware. The only problem I see is for the seller, who would have to
    > wonder if he's actually going to get the money. Why someone would bid

    that
    > up to $200 is beyond me, but to each his own.

    A misplaced decimal point?

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  15. Mark Roberts

    Mark B. Guest

    "Gambler" <> wrote in message

    > We can assume one of two things here:
    >
    > 1] The bidder has made a mistake,
    >
    > [2] The bidder is mentally ill.
    >
    > In neither case is it moral to take advantage of him (Her)
    >
    > Perhaps I should go and bid it up in order to save him (her)?

    Nobody is "being taken advantage of". The auction is CLEARLY described as
    an auction for an empty box. I'm sorry, but if you're so stupid as to bid
    on something w/o understanding what it is you're bidding on when it's
    spelled out in black & white, shame on YOU, not the seller.

    Mark

    Mark B., Mar 6, 2004
  16. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Gambler" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > > > No comment:
    > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800946535
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mark Roberts
    > > > Photography and writing
    > > > www.robertstech.com

    > > I see no problem here - it's clearly described as an empty box &

    manuals,
    > no
    > > hardware. The only problem I see is for the seller, who would have to
    > > wonder if he's actually going to get the money. Why someone would bid

    > that
    > > up to $200 is beyond me, but to each his own.

    > A misplaced decimal point?

    ______

    It seems to have gone up even as we discuss it! - now $203.50

    Mind you, I haven't checked exchange rates today - the way the Dollar is
    performing at the moment perhaps the price only calculates to 1
    GBP!............

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  17. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Gambler" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > We can assume one of two things here:
    > >
    > > 1] The bidder has made a mistake,
    > >
    > > [2] The bidder is mentally ill.
    > >
    > > In neither case is it moral to take advantage of him (Her)
    > >
    > > Perhaps I should go and bid it up in order to save him (her)?
    > >

    > Nobody is "being taken advantage of". The auction is CLEARLY described as
    > an auction for an empty box. I'm sorry, but if you're so stupid as to bid
    > on something w/o understanding what it is you're bidding on when it's
    > spelled out in black & white, shame on YOU, not the seller.
    >
    > Mark

    ______

    OK, let me ask you.

    If the item was yours, and you had received the bid, would you try and hold
    the bidder to the contract?

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  18. Mark Roberts

    Eric Miller Guest

    Absolutely. There is no excuse for stupidity. Anyone who bids on this
    without knowing what he is bidding might do the same with anything else and
    use some unreasonable expectation for an excuse not to pay. It is a view
    that refuses to believe that everyone is not as intelligent as yourself.

    On the other hand, if you think of yourself as smarter than everyone else,
    then its OK to cut them slack for making stupid mistakes.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Mar 6, 2004
  19. Mark Roberts

    Gambler Guest

    "Eric Miller" <ericmilleratcoxdashinternetdotcom> wrote in message

    > On the other hand, if you think of yourself as smarter than everyone else,
    > then its OK to cut them slack for making stupid mistakes.
    >
    > Eric Miller

    ________

    What? - like still replying to idiots who top-post, you mean?

    Gambler, Mar 6, 2004
  20. Mark Roberts

    Howard Guest

    Although I have a modicum of sympathy for the high bidder, I also subscribe
    to the idea of: READ and COMPREHEND BEFORE GOING AHEAD.

    I sell a bit of mixed stuff on ebay, generally scrap glass..had one auction
    with SMALL pieces listed, had 3 pieces sitting on a PENNY (yes folks, one
    copper US regular cent), clearly photographed and described. After sending
    the lot to the high bidder, I got a harshly worded complaint about how small
    the pieces were,,DUH, what was the cent for, ornamentation?..

    Youse get what you bid on, READ FIRST!

    Howard, Mar 6, 2004