    And it is the smallest sensored of the "serious" cameras beyond P&S
    sensor sizes.

    http://dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/page9.asp

    RichA, Jul 9, 2010

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 9, 5:22 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:39:12 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > I'm starting to suspect that during RichA's formative years (though those
    > haven't stopped yet), one of his playmates, if you can call them that
    > because nobody ever wanted to play with him, angrily shoved a toy-camera up
    > his ass and he could never get it extracted. It and the permanent scars
    > still irritating him to this very day. The memory of the event tormenting
    > him relentlessly.
    >
    > Admit it RichA, this really has nothing to do with compact cameras, does
    > it. Your publicly presented examples of your mental and emotional distress
    > and disorder goes far far beyond that.

    And yet you couldn't contradict what I suggested about the compacts.
    Bravo!

    RichA, Jul 10, 2010

  3. RichA

    BD Guest

    On Jul 9, 4:53 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Jul 9, 5:22 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:39:12 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > > wrote:

    > > I'm starting to suspect that during RichA's formative years (though those
    > > haven't stopped yet), one of his playmates, if you can call them that
    > > because nobody ever wanted to play with him, angrily shoved a toy-camera up
    > > his ass and he could never get it extracted. It and the permanent scars
    > > still irritating him to this very day. The memory of the event tormenting
    > > him relentlessly.

    > > Admit it RichA, this really has nothing to do with compact cameras, does
    > > it. Your publicly presented examples of your mental and emotional distress
    > > and disorder goes far far beyond that.

    > And yet you couldn't contradict what I suggested about the compacts.
    > Bravo!

    Whether what you say is correct or not is kind of secondary. My gripe
    with you is that EVERYTHING that you post is negative and critical.
    Rather than saying in your header that the EPL-1 is a decent quality
    camera, it's "P&S's suck". You're negative, whiny, and self-indulgent
    if you honestly think you're contributing to the group with your
    constant complaining. Get a blog, and stop posting your critical
    drivel to the group.

    BD, Jul 10, 2010
  4. RichA

    Vance Guest

    On Jul 9, 10:50 pm, LOL! <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:37:18 -0700 (PDT), BD <> wrote:

    > >> And yet you couldn't contradict what I suggested about the compacts.
    > >> Bravo!

    > >Whether what you say is correct or not is kind of secondary. My gripe
    > >with you is that EVERYTHING that you post is negative and critical.
    > >Rather than saying in your header that the EPL-1 is a decent quality
    > >camera, it's "P&S's suck". You're negative, whiny, and self-indulgent
    > >if you honestly think you're contributing to the group with your
    > >constant complaining. Get a blog, and stop posting your critical
    > >drivel to the group.

    > Oh, but you forget. RichA and 99.9999% of everyone else who ever buys a
    > camera always blames the CAMERA for their inability to capture any photos
    > worth looking at. It's not good enough, it's not expensive enough, it
    > doesn't have high ISOs enough, it doesn't nave aperture enough, it doesn't
    > have burst modes fast enough, it doesn't have pixels enough, it doesn't
    > have pixels large enough, it doesn't have DOF shallow enough, it doesn't
    > have DOF deep enough, it isn't sharp enough, it isn't responsive enough, it
    > doesn't focus automatically fast enough, it doesn't.....
    >
    > It doesn't do ALL those things. But what it DOES DO is prove, 100%, without
    > a one doubt left unturned, that the one holding it has ZERO TALENT AND ZERO
    > SKILL.
    >
    > The next time that you read anyone's post about how a camera lacks
    > something that they "need", do what I do: read it as the person posting it
    > loudly admitting what a PIEICE OF HORSE-SHIT PHOTOGRAPHER THAT THEY ARE.
    >
    > Because that's ALL that their post states. They just don't realize it. It's
    > loud and clear to any real photographer. It's just not clear to themselves
    > yet. Nor will it ever be. They're still desperately hoping that a
    > manufacturer will include a "Talent & Skill" button on their cameras one
    > day.
    >
    > LOL!- Hide quoted text -

    Did you find a real photographer to tell you all this stuff? LOL

    By the way, I'm still feeling kindlty disposed towards you, so let me
    know how your attornies are and I will be in touch with them. I
    figure you might be short of money, so I will pick up the Federal
    Filing fees and cost of service for you.

    Vance

    Vance, Jul 10, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    wrote:

    >Whether what you say is correct or not is kind of secondary. My gripe
    >with you is that EVERYTHING that you post is negative and critical.
    >Rather than saying in your header that the EPL-1 is a decent quality
    >camera, it's "P&S's suck". You're negative, whiny, and self-indulgent
    >if you honestly think you're contributing to the group with your
    >constant complaining.

    Rich is Canadian. Every Canadian I have ever encountered has been
    negative, whiny, and self-indulgent.

    Bruce, Jul 10, 2010
  6. RichA

    BD Guest

    On Jul 10, 6:12 am, Rich <> wrote:
    > BD <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On Jul 9, 4:53 pm, RichA <> wrote:

    > > se

    > > a up

    > > ng

    > > ess

    > >> And yet you couldn't contradict what I suggested about the compacts.
    > >> Bravo!

    > > Whether what you say is correct or not is kind of secondary. My gripe
    > > with you is that EVERYTHING that you post is negative and critical.
    > > Rather than saying in your header that the EPL-1 is a decent quality
    > > camera, it's "P&S's suck". You're negative, whiny, and self-indulgent
    > > if you honestly think you're contributing to the group with your
    > > constant complaining. Get a blog, and stop posting your critical
    > > drivel to the group.

    > This isn't Dpreview, fanboy. You can't go running to mommy Askey and
    > complain because someone isn't towing the line with mindless positivism
    > to SELL cameras for Amazon.

    Wrong. This is an open forum. People can say whatever the hell they
    want in here - and more's the pity. I can tell a sniveling whiner that
    he should go away, you can tell me that I can't go running to mommy, I
    can tell you to go join him... it's all so wonderfully free-spirited,
    ain't it...

    Fanboy? Really? Do tell!

    BD, Jul 10, 2010
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:13:06 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >. My G11 is one such higher priced
    >compact, but it supplements my D300s and has the level of user control
    >I want.

    All this fuss over terms...I don't see the G11 as "compact". The
    mainstream point-and-shoots *are* compact. They a slim, capable of
    fitting in a shirt pocket or a trouser pocket without bulge or weight,
    and they are truly compact cameras.

    The G11 camera body seems to me to be almost as large and bulky as a
    slr or dslr with a 55mm (or thereabouts) size lens. Yes, there are
    pockets that will accommodate them, but big pockets.

    The term "point and shoot" came into use because it described the
    simplicity of operation. Then, camera makers started adding options
    to these cameras that allow the user to choose between the simple
    settings and more advanced settings.

    The less complicated the camera, the more compact it can be. The
    basic point-and-shoots are more deserving of the description "compact"
    than the upper-tier non-dslrs owned by people who object to their
    cameras being called "point and shoot" cameras. Yet, they want their
    cameras called "compacts" to avoid the perception of owning something
    simple.

    I really can't understand the distress expressed by those who object
    to the "point and shoot" term. It's the photograph that is judged,
    not the device that took it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 10, 2010
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:13:06 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Rich, the overall tone to your posts is one of gloom. There is very
    >little of credit for what might be well done.
    >Also, not every camera consumer is looking for a 4/3, or a DSLR, and in
    >some cases not even a compact. More and more are happy to have a camera
    >in their cell phone, and are never going to spend any more cash to buy
    >a dedicated camera.
    >
    >...and yes I, and many others have noticed some compacts cost as much
    >as a D3000 with 2 kit lenses. That is a great entry level DSLR, I would
    >recommend a D5000 ahead of it. My G11 is one such higher priced
    >compact, but it supplements my D300s and has the level of user control
    >I want.
    >
    >There are going to be buyers of cameras across the quality, size, and
    >type spectrum. Some will be happy with what they bought, others will
    >move on to grow into something more sophisticated. The great majority,
    >as with film will have a camera they do not use on a daily basis, but
    >pull out of a drawer for whatever the occasion might be, take a few
    >snap shots, put it back in the drawer to be forgotten until the next
    >birthday party, or family occasion, visit, etc. comes around.
    >...and they will be quite happy regardless of the quality of their
    >resulting images. Pretty much the instamatic market.
    >
    >So lighten up a bit and try not to continually extract the negative.

    Well said, sir! I hope Rich listens to your wise advice.

    Bruce, Jul 10, 2010
  9. On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:13:06 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Some will be happy with what they bought, others will
    >move on to grow into something more sophisticated.

    Such as this <http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual>

    Far more sophisticated than any DSLRs capabilities on the planet. I doubt
    you could learn all the manual and automated controls of any CHDK capable
    camera in even one year's time. Considering that you can't even figure out
    how to use the EV compensation button on your DSLR yet. Every last one of
    your photos have more than proved that.

    "DSLR" doesn't automatically mean "upgrade". A DSLR is just different, and
    that's all it is, not better. For some who are far more talented and
    experienced than you are or will ever be, going back to DSLRs would be a
    huge downgrade and hindrance again. A definitive evolutionary and
    revolutionary leap backward on the camera adaptability and functionality
    scale. When are you DSLR-TROLLS going to figure this out. Probably never.
    As already said, you can't even figure out what an EV compensation button
    is for yet as proved in all of your photography examples. If you can't even
    comprehend how to use that properly or even what it is for, you wouldn't be
    able to comprehend things far more sophisticated nor why others find value
    in them. It would be like asking you to compose a concerto when your mind
    and experiences only allow you to hear and comprehend one note all your
    life. You must live within your limited view of things while you sit back
    trying to convince everyone else who can hear from 20 Hz to 20 kHz why you
    only need one note. Those who can hear the full spectrum just have to learn
    to tolerate your severe and debilitating limitations. The best we can hope
    for is to alert all others of your crippling handicap in life. Luckily, you
    help in that regard. Every time you post one of your photos.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 10, 2010
  10. On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:54:53 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >I really can't understand the distress expressed by those who object
    >to the "point and shoot" term. It's the photograph that is judged,
    >not the device that took it.

    Then lets start calling all DSLRs as POSBAs--piece of shit boat anchors.
    That's just as accurate of a description of DSLRs as P&S is of most all
    non-DSLRs today.

    Would it bother you if people called your overpriced less-capable DSLRs as
    POSBAs all the time? It's just as accurate as P&S you know. It shouldn't
    bother you in the least if major sellers of POSBAs started listing them on
    their pages that way too.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 10, 2010
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >This is Samsung's latest P&S's tested, arguably, one of the better

    Yes, yes, you're an elitist snob and troll and you hate everything.

    Got it.

    You've made your point.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jul 11, 2010
  12. RichA

    krishnananda Guest

    In article <Xns9DB51AF2D5FE048umofa02sneakemailc@127.0.0.1>,
    SneakyP <> wrote:

    > tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:13:06 -0700, Savageduck
    > > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>. My G11 is one such higher priced
    > >>compact, but it supplements my D300s and has the level of user control
    > >>I want.

    > > All this fuss over terms...I don't see the G11 as "compact". The
    > > mainstream point-and-shoots *are* compact. They a slim, capable of
    > > fitting in a shirt pocket or a trouser pocket without bulge or weight,
    > > and they are truly compact cameras.
    > >
    > > The G11 camera body seems to me to be almost as large and bulky as a
    > > slr or dslr with a 55mm (or thereabouts) size lens. Yes, there are
    > > pockets that will accommodate them, but big pockets.
    > >
    > > The term "point and shoot" came into use because it described the
    > > simplicity of operation. Then, camera makers started adding options
    > > to these cameras that allow the user to choose between the simple
    > > settings and more advanced settings.
    > >
    > > The less complicated the camera, the more compact it can be. The
    > > basic point-and-shoots are more deserving of the description "compact"
    > > than the upper-tier non-dslrs owned by people who object to their
    > > cameras being called "point and shoot" cameras. Yet, they want their
    > > cameras called "compacts" to avoid the perception of owning something
    > > simple.
    > >
    > > I really can't understand the distress expressed by those who object
    > > to the "point and shoot" term. It's the photograph that is judged,
    > > not the device that took it.
    > >

    > It has to be a price vs. equipment issue skewed in a world where more
    > equipment doesn't necessarily mean more pictures (or better quality
    > pictures), yet the perception of the public is that mr. multi-lensed
    > camera carrier will always compose the better picture simply because
    > he/she has more options.
    >
    > There's a tradeoff in going either direction - and both marketing camps
    > know them enough to minimize their own shortcomings.
    >
    > ::Shrugs my shoulders

    How about "point & hope"?

    Even back in the film P&S days I remember going to stadium rock concerts
    and seeing thousands and thousands of tiny flashes firing throughout the
    audience as folks who snuck their cameras past security either forgot or
    didn't now how to turn off their flashes. Even my beloved Olympus Stylus
    had to have its flash turned off manually every time the camera was
    turned on, since it didn't retain the settings I wanted.

    I guess that one was a "point & curse"...

    krishnananda, Jul 14, 2010