P&S shooters: This is your CUE to do the RIGHT thing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    And get a DSLR:

    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...apan_as_dealers_slash_prices_news_176009.html

    Friday 25th January 2008
    Chris Cheesman
    Canon EOS 30D

    The launch of new, improved and cheaper enthusiast-level DSLRs is
    forcing down the price of seemingly overpriced used cameras by up to
    30%, according to a Japanese press report.

    Trade publication Pen News Weekly reports that a doubling of consumers
    trading-in new DSLRs has led to an increase in dealers' stocks of used
    models.

    'Rapidly increasing supply forced dealers to reduce the price by as
    much as 20-30%, stripping profits,' reports Pen.

    The article, published earlier this month, is based on comments made
    by an unnamed industry source at a meeting organised by the Tokyo
    Photo Dealers Association.

    Pen asserts that the problem affects digital models more so than it
    did film-based SLRs because newer models are 'without exception'
    cheaper - and with 'better features' - than the cameras they replace.

    Picture:The Japanese article cites the Canon EOS 30D as one example of
    a used DSLR which has seen stock levels rise as a result of newer
    models entering the market - in this case the EOS 40D
    Rich, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Rich

    flambe Guest

    I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    my neck and shoulders.
    Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
    Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
    Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
    professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
    dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
    not.
    If most shooters recognized their limits Kodak might still be peddling
    instamatics . . . .
    If the noise beast can be tamed in the new Sony 12mp sensor it can be tamed
    in the smaller sensors too--for the uses these cameras are intended just
    taming noise to ISO 400 is probably enough.
    flambe, Jan 26, 2008

  3. Rich

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > And get a DSLR:
    >
    > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...apan_as_dealers_slash_prices_news_176009.html
    >
    > Friday 25th January 2008
    > Chris Cheesman
    > Canon EOS 30D
    >
    > The launch of new, improved and cheaper enthusiast-level DSLRs is
    > forcing down the price of seemingly overpriced used cameras by up to

    <snipped>

    The vast majority of camera users of any type aren't reading ng's so
    views exchanged therein probably aren't going to change very many minds.
    I can never understand how some poster's to ng's can categorically state
    that which we should all use be it cameras, operating systems or
    anything else with no regard to why and how we use same.
    My guess is readers of this group appreciate views and experiences with
    specific models or types when making choices, but are pretty savvy as to
    what they feel they need.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 26, 2008
  4. Rich

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:05:31 GMT, "flambe" <> wrote:

    >I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    >This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    >protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    >and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    >my neck and shoulders.

    If you have a D80, then chances are you had a SLR 35mm film camera.
    If you have an 18-200, chances are you had at least one extra long
    lens for your 35mm SLR film camera.

    I'll bet if I take out my old film 35mm and a long lens, that
    combination would weigh double what your D80 and 18-200 weigh.
    Well, may a third more.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    flambe wrote:
    > I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    > This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    > protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    > and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    > my neck and shoulders.
    > Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
    > Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
    > Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
    > professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
    > dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
    > not.
    > If most shooters recognized their limits Kodak might still be peddling
    > instamatics . . . .
    > If the noise beast can be tamed in the new Sony 12mp sensor it can be tamed
    > in the smaller sensors too--for the uses these cameras are intended just
    > taming noise to ISO 400 is probably enough.

    For many years ASA 400 was considered 'fast'. I have never used
    anything faster, and have taken a LOT of pictures with ASA 25 film.
    Working within the limitations of one's equipment is something every
    photographer has to learn. Size is a very important factor to me,
    rendering any kind of superzoom, or DSLR, unusable. I am not a
    professional, not even a 'serious amateur'. I submit that my use of a
    camera is my business, and no one has a right to tell me that my needs,
    and my wants, are 'wrong', or that it makes me any less competent
    because I choose a less flexible, less powerful, less complex, less
    expensive tool to do what I like to do.

    Anyone who don't like that can just sit on it!
    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2008
  6. Rich

    measekite Guest

    flambe wrote:
    > I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    > This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    > protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    > and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    > my neck and shoulders.
    > Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
    > Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
    > Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
    > professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
    > dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
    > not.

    I have a Canon S5 and do like the results and light weight. But I want
    to print 11x14 and larger with some cropping and feel that a DSLR will
    produce better results and also allow me to shoot as higher ISO with
    less noise. Are you saying you do not agree with this?

    measekite, Jan 27, 2008
  7. Rich

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:05:31 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "flambe"
    <> wrote:

    >I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    >This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    >protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    >and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    >my neck and shoulders.

    Learn to carry it with the strap over your head, across your shoulder with
    the top of the camera facing your body off the rear of your hip. You will
    probably need to lengthen the strap for the camera to comfortable rest on
    the back of your hip and have enough slack to just pull it up to your face
    while rotating it 90degs. This works fine for much larger combos than you
    are using.
    , Jan 27, 2008
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Re: P&S shooters: This is your CUE to do the RIGHT thing

    On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, "flambe" <> wrote:
    > I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
    > This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admire: large, heavy,
    > protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
    > and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
    > my neck and shoulders.
    > Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
    > Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
    > Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
    > professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
    > dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
    > not.

    Your logic is flawed. If you use JPEGs only, a DSLR is a major asset
    since by using JPEGs you restrict and already restricted dynamic range
    in P&Ss.
    Rich, Jan 28, 2008
  9. Rich

    Guest Guest

    Hey shit wadd. If you don't like P&S cameras don't buy one. Leaves others
    the **** alone and shove your opinion on them up your dSLR memory slot!
    Guest, Jan 28, 2008
  10. Rich

    On Jan 28, 2:42 pm, <no_spam_from_scumbags@die_scumbags.com> wrote:
    > Hey shit wadd. If you don't like P&S cameras don't buy one. Leaves others
    > the **** alone and shove your opinion on them up your dSLR memory slot!

    Don't like it, don't read it idiot.
    Rich, Jan 28, 2008