Oz prepares its own DMCA - but rules out enforcing region codes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    As part of the Austraia-USA Free Trade Agreement, our neighbors across
    the ditch have to introduce their own local equivalent of the US Digital
    Millennium Copyright Act.

    The published draft (www.groklaw.net for the draft and some comments)
    may still be refused by the Americans, but it uis heartening to see this
    paragraph about Tewchnincal Protectilon Measures (TPMs) in it:

    "The scheme will not apply to TPMs solely designed for other purposes,
    such as market segmentation (eg region coding) or the protection against
    competition in aftermarket goods (eg spare parts) where the TPM does not
    have a connection with copyright."

    I predict a squawk of rage from the MPAA, wedded to the hideous and
    market-distorting region-coding system, and possibly also from Sony and
    Microsoft, which both use region-code on the games machines. I wonder
    which will prevail in the argument about the law in Australia: the MPAA
    and its paid flacks in the US Congress, or the Commonwealth Government
    of Australia.

    Philip

    Philip, Sep 5, 2006