    handy-work under RAS-branch in Registry. Before RA-repaired, I'd experienced
    the Thinkpads inability to create new RAS-connections.

    //P
    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller, May 13, 2009

  2. A CP/M to XP/P-traveller

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Wired LAN and Wireless LAN are using two different Network cards and have No
    direct relation hardware wise.
    Check the computer's Wireless Configuration,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 13, 2009

  3. A CP/M to XP/P-traveller

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 13, 12:38 pm, A CP/M to XP/P-traveller
    <> wrote:
    > I've got a problem with my one and only XPP SP3-Thinkpad: It's not connecting
    > or even detecting my WLAN-router, reset'ed to factory settings -- as in
    > wide-open and standard ESSID. Also tried ESSID HLLOWRL. No success.
    >
    > The odd thing is that ordinary TP cable-connections works without flaws with
    > this specific 'Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61'-router and all other nearby WLANs,
    > are detected and accessible.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > DS PS
    > I might add my F-prot antivirus earlier False-Positived (dev.confirmed) and
    > quarantined some RAS-files. Everything reset'ed by Ms RArepair.zip and some
    > handy-work under RAS-branch in Registry. Before RA-repaired, I'd experienced
    > the Thinkpads inability to create new RAS-connections.
    >
    > //P

    Thibkpad is in the laptop category. Laptops have several possible
    cause to not let the wireless SSID to be seen. The most common are:

    1) Wireless adapter "turned off" by a "physical button" on the
    laptop. Or turned off in the laptop's BIOS settings.

    2) May require to use the wireless adapter manufacturer's own
    configuration management utility and not XP's Wireless Zero
    Configuration tool.

    Then, several anti-virus systems can also have a "hidden" firewall
    module that must be told to "trust" your wireless SSID.

    The last possible cause is that the router is not set up correct or
    compatible with the wireless adapter.
    smlunatick, May 13, 2009
  4. Hi, been there, done that. I'm thinking Registry by now...

    x - IBM Thinkpad Wireless on/off keyboard switch -> goes on/off, seems okay
    x - IBM Thinkpad Access Connections -> no success, only a few older nearby
    WLANs
    x - XPP Wireless Zero Configuration -> no success, all *nearby* WLANs are
    surfable
    x - Zyxel 660HW-61 hw-reset'ed with clip, confirmed in router-admin. via TP
    -> nope
    x - Zyxel 660HW-61 router-admin maintenance -> WLAN only says TX -> no success
    x - A couple of XPP new profiles and sequence restarts of units -> no success
    x - Deativating only antimalware F-prot as a service, Windows Firewall -> nope
    x - A couple of XPP new user profiles -> no success
    x - Having a 20-min. coffee, while all hardware is hw-off, sequence restart
    -> nope

    I'm still thinking Registry...

    Any further ideas?

    //P

    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller, May 13, 2009
  5. Hi, see recent reply to Jack MVP-post

    //P

    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller, May 13, 2009
  6. A CP/M to XP/P-traveller

    Lem Guest

    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller wrote:
    > Hi, been there, done that. I'm thinking Registry by now...
    >
    > x - IBM Thinkpad Wireless on/off keyboard switch -> goes on/off, seems okay
    > x - IBM Thinkpad Access Connections -> no success, only a few older nearby
    > WLANs
    > x - XPP Wireless Zero Configuration -> no success, all *nearby* WLANs are
    > surfable
    > x - Zyxel 660HW-61 hw-reset'ed with clip, confirmed in router-admin. via TP
    > -> nope
    > x - Zyxel 660HW-61 router-admin maintenance -> WLAN only says TX -> no success
    > x - A couple of XPP new profiles and sequence restarts of units -> no success
    > x - Deativating only antimalware F-prot as a service, Windows Firewall -> nope
    > x - A couple of XPP new user profiles -> no success
    > x - Having a 20-min. coffee, while all hardware is hw-off, sequence restart
    > -> nope
    >
    > I'm still thinking Registry...
    >
    > Any further ideas?
    >
    > //P
    >
    > "Jack-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Wired LAN and Wireless LAN are using two different Network cards and have No
    >> direct relation hardware wise.
    >> Check the computer's Wireless Configuration,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "A CP/M to XP/P-traveller" <>
    >> wrote in message news:...
    >>> I've got a problem with my one and only XPP SP3-Thinkpad: It's not
    >>> connecting
    >>> or even detecting my WLAN-router, reset'ed to factory settings -- as in
    >>> wide-open and standard ESSID. Also tried ESSID HLLOWRL. No success.
    >>>
    >>> The odd thing is that ordinary TP cable-connections works without flaws
    >>> with
    >>> this specific 'Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61'-router and all other nearby WLANs,
    >>> are detected and accessible.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> DS PS
    >>> I might add my F-prot antivirus earlier False-Positived (dev.confirmed)
    >>> and
    >>> quarantined some RAS-files. Everything reset'ed by Ms RArepair.zip and
    >>> some
    >>> handy-work under RAS-branch in Registry. Before RA-repaired, I'd
    >>> experienced
    >>> the Thinkpads inability to create new RAS-connections.
    >>>
    >>> //P

    It would help if you didn't write your posts as if you were paying by
    the letter. As near as I can tell from what you've written, you *CAN*
    access wireless networks, just not your own (XPP Wireless Zero
    Configuration ... all *nearby* WLANs are surfable).

    If that's a correct interpretation of your situation, then - given that
    you say that you've reset the router to broadcast an SSID - the most
    likely conclusion is that the router's radio is turned off or has failed.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, May 13, 2009
  7. Well, yes and no: Sad thing that neighbour's Thinkpads says a-okey.

    //P -- 2 ol 2 bthr wit title

    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller, May 14, 2009
  8. A follow-up: I found an identical Thinkpad, with an identical setup and
    identical software installations; added the WLAN and went on the Internet;
    restarted this latter Thinkpad; took a backup of certain parts of the
    registry on the latter Thinkpad; imported the backup onto the troubled
    Thinkpad; restared the troubled Thinkpad and there you have it, a troubled
    Thinkpad now working without a flaw...

    So, it's a registry issue and the only advice I get -- universally -- is
    reinstall Windows. The best bet is to have a reference system available.
    Backup's are not an option.

    /P

    A CP/M to XP/P-traveller, Jun 8, 2009