    and use it.

    MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    Vista that is.

    peterwn, Feb 13, 2008

  2. On Feb 13, 9:51 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > See:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/auction-1399513....
    >
    > "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >
    > But especially note:
    >
    > "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    > older stock."
    >
    > Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >
    > Perhaps sales of Vista upgrade have been very sluggish.  Unlike OEM
    > Vista, you would only buy the upgrade if you plan to actually install
    > and use it.
    >
    > MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    > Vista that is.

    Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM

    Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 13, 2008

  3. On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:35:18 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    >> Vista that is.

    > Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM
    >
    > Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    Someone should tell M$ that, so that it doesn't keep on trying to
    "integrate" its office productivity software into the OS.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 13, 2008
  4. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 9:51 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> See:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/auction-1399513...
    >>
    >> "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >>
    >> But especially note:
    >>
    >> "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    >> older stock."
    >>
    >> Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >>
    >> Perhaps sales of Vista upgrade have been very sluggish. Unlike OEM
    >> Vista, you would only buy the upgrade if you plan to actually install
    >> and use it.
    >>
    >> MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    >> Vista that is.

    > Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM
    >
    > Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    And no Bids, ....

    RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze), Feb 13, 2008
  5. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > See:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/auction-139951351.htm
    >
    > "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >
    > But especially note:
    >
    > "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    > older stock."
    >
    > Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >
    > Perhaps sales of Vista upgrade have been very sluggish. Unlike OEM
    > Vista, you would only buy the upgrade if you plan to actually install
    > and use it.
    >
    > MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    > Vista that is.

    yes well....to get a decent discount you probably have to buy a shed
    load at once....and then you find you cannot sell them, both from cost and,

    Being an upgrade that is notorious for not working on hardware that came
    with XP, no one in their right mind would buy it without being able to
    get a refund if it didnt work (fat chance right?)....you only have to
    look at the likes of HP to see they usually do not release new drivers
    for old printers/burners on new Windows to realize that the only sane
    way to move to Vista is to get a complete new machine with Vista
    installed....

    MS is apparently already taking out features for Vista's
    replacement....so here comes another bloated, buggy, expensive, no valid
    business driver need OS mark 2....or as some are calling it already,
    MeIII...

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Feb 13, 2008
  6. peterwn

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:35:18 -0800, Nathan Mercer propped his eyelids
    open with toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Feb 13, 9:51 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> See:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/

    auction-1399513...

    >> "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >>
    >> But especially note:
    >>
    >> "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    >> older stock."
    >>
    >> Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >>
    >> Perhaps sales of Vista upgrade have been very sluggish.  Unlike OEM
    >> Vista, you would only buy the upgrade if you plan to actually install
    >> and use it.
    >>
    >> MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    >> Vista that is.

    > Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM
    >
    > Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    In the correct section (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/
    Operating-systems/Windows/) there are 14 versions of Vista for sale
    against 2 of XP Home upgrade. You'd think it would be the other way
    around if Vista lived up to it's advertising.

    --

    Rob
    Gravity... not just a good idea: It's the law.

    Rob Simpson, Feb 13, 2008
  7. peterwn

    Zipper Guest

    Rob Simpson wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:35:18 -0800, Nathan Mercer propped his eyelids
    > open with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 13, 9:51 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>> See:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/

    > auction-1399513...
    >>> "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >>>
    >>> But especially note:
    >>>
    >>> "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    >>> older stock."
    >>>
    >>> Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps sales of Vista upgrade have been very sluggish. Unlike OEM
    >>> Vista, you would only buy the upgrade if you plan to actually install
    >>> and use it.
    >>>
    >>> MS would be better selling a Windows XP upgrade pack - upgrading from
    >>> Vista that is.

    >> Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM
    >>
    >> Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    > In the correct section (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/
    > Operating-systems/Windows/) there are 14 versions of Vista for sale
    > against 2 of XP Home upgrade. You'd think it would be the other way
    > around if Vista lived up to it's advertising.

    I noticed in the latest DSE flyer that the computers being sold with
    Windows XP were almost highlighted.. well in fact they were "WINDOWS XP
    PRO" in big yellow bubbles, the computers that had vista only mentioned
    the OS in normal black text buried in the rest of the specs of the
    machines..

    Does it mean anything? perhaps not.. but one could see it as DSE
    thinking that XP is more sought after? who knows...

    Zipper, Feb 13, 2008
  8. In article <47b36741$>, Zipper did write:

    > I noticed in the latest DSE flyer that the computers being sold with
    > Windows XP were almost highlighted.. well in fact they were "WINDOWS XP
    > PRO" in big yellow bubbles, the computers that had vista only mentioned
    > the OS in normal black text buried in the rest of the specs of the
    > machines..

    And don't forget the one with "LINUX" prominently displayed beside it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 13, 2008
  9. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 14, 12:02 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > And don't forget the one with "LINUX" prominently displayed beside it.

    I am wondering why Microsoft has not put the 'hard word' on Dick
    Smiths re prompting XP and Linux. Perhaps Dick Smiths is too big to
    be mucked around with in Australasia.

    peterwn, Feb 13, 2008
  10. In article
    <>,
    peterwn did write:

    > On Feb 14, 12:02 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >> And don't forget the one with "LINUX" prominently displayed beside it.

    > I am wondering why Microsoft has not put the 'hard word' on Dick
    > Smiths re prompting XP and Linux.

    Is that the Commerce Commission I hear sharpening its knives in the back
    room?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 13, 2008
  11. peterwn

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:35:35 +1300, Zipper <> wrote:

    >Rob Simpson wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:35:18 -0800, Nathan Mercer propped his eyelids
    >> open with toothpicks and wrote:

    >> auction-1399513...

    >>> Bonus points for the seller listing it in the wrong location on TM
    >>>
    >>> Last time I looked an OS wasn't an Office suite

    >> In the correct section (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/
    >> Operating-systems/Windows/) there are 14 versions of Vista for sale
    >> against 2 of XP Home upgrade. You'd think it would be the other way
    >> around if Vista lived up to it's advertising.
    >>

    >I noticed in the latest DSE flyer that the computers being sold with
    >Windows XP were almost highlighted.. well in fact they were "WINDOWS XP
    >PRO" in big yellow bubbles, the computers that had vista only mentioned
    >the OS in normal black text buried in the rest of the specs of the
    >machines..
    >
    >Does it mean anything? perhaps not.. but one could see it as DSE
    >thinking that XP is more sought after? who knows...

    Maybe they're sick of Vista customers hassling them with questions when stuff
    don't work ;-)

    Cima, Feb 14, 2008
  12. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 14, 12:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > I am wondering why Microsoft has not put the 'hard word' on Dick
    > > Smiths re prompting XP and Linux.

    > Is that the Commerce Commission I hear sharpening its knives in the back
    > room?

    And the ACCC (the Aussie version of NZ Commerce Commission).

    peterwn, Feb 14, 2008
  13. peterwn

    Garth Guest

    Dick smiths here in melbourne now sell apple they no longer push the windows
    pc they still have them but the salesmen do try hard to push an applemac
    sale
    i did get a windows pc it would have been a mac if they would sell one that
    didnt run any derivative of linux
    Still kept the old machine as its handy to have something that will still
    run older sotware happily

    Garth, Feb 14, 2008
  14. peterwn

    shane Guest

    Garth did scribble:

    > i did get a windows pc it would have been a mac if they would sell one that
    > didnt run any derivative of linux

    ????????????????????

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Feb 14, 2008
  15. peterwn

    Richard Guest

    Garth wrote:
    > Dick smiths here in melbourne now sell apple they no longer push the
    > windows pc they still have them but the salesmen do try hard to push an
    > applemac sale
    > i did get a windows pc it would have been a mac if they would sell one
    > that didnt run any derivative of linux
    > Still kept the old machine as its handy to have something that will
    > still run older sotware happily

    WTF?

    What does linux have to do with the mac?

    Richard, Feb 14, 2008
  16. In article <_hPsj.14666$>, Garth did
    write:

    > i did get a windows pc it would have been a mac if they would sell one
    > that didnt run any derivative of linux

    The only Mac I had any trouble trying to run Linux on was an Old World beige
    G3/266 from 1998. A 15-year old Motorola 68040-based Centris 650 (with only
    56 MiB of RAM, if I recall rightly) accepted a Debian installation just
    fine. And a couple of weeks ago I put OpenSuSE 10.3 on an eMac (PowerPC G3
    or G4?), dual booting with OS X, and that worked, too.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 14, 2008
  17. peterwn

    Ross Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:52:45 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Being an upgrade that is notorious for not working on hardware that came
    >with XP, no one in their right mind would buy it without being able to
    >get a refund if it didnt work (fat chance right?)....you only have to
    >look at the likes of HP to see they usually do not release new drivers
    >for old printers/burners on new Windows to realize that the only sane
    >way to move to Vista is to get a complete new machine with Vista
    >installed....

    If Vista was offered to me for free, I would take it - but I wouldn't
    install it over my Windows 98 or Ubuntu.

    Ross, Feb 15, 2008
  18. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-15, Ross <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:52:45 +1300, thingy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Being an upgrade that is notorious for not working on hardware that came
    >>with XP, no one in their right mind would buy it without being able to
    >>get a refund if it didnt work (fat chance right?)....you only have to
    >>look at the likes of HP to see they usually do not release new drivers
    >>for old printers/burners on new Windows to realize that the only sane
    >>way to move to Vista is to get a complete new machine with Vista
    >>installed....

    > If Vista was offered to me for free, I would take it - but I wouldn't
    > install it over my Windows 98 or Ubuntu.

    I doubt you could. So why would you want it, Sell it

    Gordon, Feb 15, 2008
  19. peterwn

    Kent Smith Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > See:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Software/MS-Office/auction-139951351.htm
    >
    > "Microsoft Windows Vista Business UPGRADE" (Buy now $350)
    >
    > But especially note:
    >
    > "This is brand new and in the packaging. We are just clearing out some
    > older stock."
    >
    > Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?

    Isn't Vista SP1 out soon? - probably be new media with it slipstreamed in.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Feb 15, 2008
  20. In article <47b56a14$>, Kent Smith did write:

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Now who would want to buy Vista when XP does a satisfactory job?
    >>

    > Isn't Vista SP1 out soon? - probably be new media with it slipstreamed in.

    Apparently it's not possible for users to create their own slipstreamed
    Vista with SP1.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2008